Sox acquire Nomar Mazara for Steele Walker

Buehrle>Wood

19 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Why not just use Leury...?   They’re not going to give Souza the opportunity he will receive to start on other teams in the bottom 8-10 in MLB.  And they’re not going to pay him like a projected starter.

We should have just stuck Villar, Dickerson or Gennett out there if this was their best reactionary plan.

Souza had one breakout season in 2017 but the rest of his career is pretty meh.  He’s a good bench bat but that’s about it.  I doubt any team, even bad ones, will sign him to be a starter.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

18 minutes ago, ptatc said:

KW evil incarnate.

You know this isn’t the point I was trying to make.  They acquired mediocrity because it was cheap, with an ever so slight chance of panning out.  Sarava worded it better than me above:

This is the same old White Sox way of doing business, which has led to this long ass playoff drought that we're in.”

Edited by Moan4Yoan

6 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

We already know Mazara’s production — less than 1 WAR in each year of his career.  The Sox are praying that Mazara somehow booms from his consistent mediocrity for 4 years straight.  The Sox supposedly have money to spend and could have and should have done better than this.  We shouldn’t have to hope for these flier-type players to pan out.  Spend some freaking money.

Baseball is a team game. Who cares about WAR? Look at what this does for the team. Castillo-Engel-Yolmer-Cordell is gone and replaced with Grandal-Robert-Madrigal-Mazara. There’s no spot in this lineup now where pitchers can relax. We haven’t had that in years. Enjoy it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bmags said:

I hate not spending money on a single really good player, i'd be fine with these moves if it was coupled with a lucrative contract for a great player that everyone is like "they overpaid him, oh that will bite them".

That's what I wanted. I could go without an offseason of dallas keuchel and castellanos. To be those are fine moves, they are good players, but they effectively end the rebuild as they don't have much flexibility for an elite player beyond it.

Ah well, nevertheless

They’ll never spend on those elite players that are young like Machado. That’s the problem 

6 minutes ago, The Sir said:

Baseball is a team game. Who cares about WAR? Look at what this does for the team. Castillo-Engel-Yolmer-Cordell is gone and replaced with Grandal-Robert-Madrigal-Mazara. There’s no spot in this lineup now where pitchers can relax. We haven’t had that in years. Enjoy it.

Probably every team in the MLB cares about WAR when making acquisitions.  Just because you don’t care about stats doesn’t mean that MLB teams don’t.

Also, you are using the benchmark of an embarrassing group of Sox players when the team was pretty much trying to lose for better draft picks as the baseline for improvement.  Amazing.

Edited by Moan4Yoan
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Probably every team in the MLB cares about WAR when making acquisitions.  Just because you don’t care about stats doesn’t mean that MLB teams don’t.

The lineup of the Chicago White Sox is now tougher for opposing pitchers to get through. That’s what I care about. That’s what the White Sox care about. I don’t care that some mysterious number that doesn’t like Mazara’s defense is low. We have a better lineup now. The people who are joking about Mazara’s inability to hit while eagerly anticipating the golden days of Micker Adolfo are nuts.

• Like 2

Just now, The Sir said:

The lineup of the Chicago White Sox is now tougher for opposing pitchers to get through. That’s what I care about. That’s what the White Sox care about. I don’t care that some mysterious number that doesn’t like Mazara’s defense is low. We have a better lineup now. The people who are joking about Mazara’s inability to hit while eagerly anticipating the golden days of Micker Adolfo are nuts.

I had no hope for Adolfo even making the majors but there are currently better outfielders available than Mazara right now.

4 hours ago, Jose Abreu said:

I'm not a big fan of the move but I also think this is premature

What other offensive moves are you expecting?  Maybe they add a DH, but then Collins basically has no role and the plan to rotate Grandal around goes out the window.  I could see is possibly adding a depth piece like Gennett or Dietrich, but they would not be a bigger addition than Mazara.  Short of signing Encarnacion, I think Nomar will be our second biggest offensive addition this offseason.

3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I hate Keuchel. Keuchel is FA pitching Mazara. 

Don’t agree at all. He’s a proven innings eater, a veteran, he doesn’t rely on overpowering stuff so he’ll age better, he’s had success in the AL, etc. I don’t get why people wanted the unproven, unreliable Wheeler but not Keuchel.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

What other offensive moves are you expecting?  Maybe they add a DH, but then Collins basically has no role and the plan to rotate Grandal around goes out the window.  I could see is possibly adding a depth piece like Gennett or Dietrich, but they would not be a bigger addition than Mazara.  Short of signing Encarnacion, I think Nomar will be our second biggest offensive addition this offseason.

I honestly think the bench/DH/26th man will be some combination of McCann, Collins, Leury, Engel, Mendick, and one more righty bat that they acquire this offseason.  They aren’t making another big move for offense.

2 minutes ago, The Sir said:

Don’t agree at all. He’s a proven innings eater, a veteran, he doesn’t rely on overpowering stuff so he’ll age better, he’s had success in the AL, etc. I don’t get why people wanted the unproven, unreliable Wheeler but not Keuchel.

Innings eaters have value, but I think most of us wanted a TOR starter going in to the off-season. Even if Keuchel pans out better than expected, he's probably no more than a #3, and it could be a lot worse. He's not the same pitcher he was 4 years ago.

2 minutes ago, Sarava said:

Innings eaters have value, but I think most of us wanted a TOR starter going in to the off-season. Even if Keuchel pans out better than expected, he's probably no more than a #3, and it could be a lot worse. He's not the same pitcher he was 4 years ago.

TOR starter? Whatever. Gio could be that already, Kopech and Cease could become that. Behind them, we have some iffy ones with the always injured Rodon, the inconsistent Lopez, and the still not here and oft injured Dunning. Sign Keuchel so that behind our big three we have a proven veteran who can mentor the young ones and give us a solid chance to win every time he pitches. Totally get that he’s not the ace from a few years ago, and that’s fine. To be fair, Wheeler has never been an ace.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Agreed.  Keuchel is still a legit starter on many teams.  But Mazara isn’t even a starting outfielder on a good team.

This. Hell Keuchel at least has had past success. Still waiting on Mazara to get to even 2 WAR let alone 1 (I hope he does figure it out).