Sox acquire Nomar Mazara for Steele Walker

Buehrle>Wood

11 minutes ago, Soxnfins said:

Defensively he’s slightly below average, but in 18 he had a 6.3 ARM, so that’s a positive... might be an outlier as the other years have been closer to average arm wise.

His arm is very good. Arm runs factor in outfield assists (as well as runner advancement). That's part of the reason why '18 is a bit skewed.

Edited by SoxAce

12 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

Yeah, I saw some reactions last night saying the Sox could have just rolled Walker out there next year instead of Mazara.  I would assume (hope) that it was frustration talking.  Mazara is a proven MLB hitter that hits very well against RH pitching.  Walker, and most of the other OF prospects the Sox have, are not ready for the ML in 2020.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying this a great move.  It's just not a bad one.

The move looks to be OK but everyone is bummed that the signing isn't a name player.  He might prove to be a real sleeper.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, poppysox said:

The move looks to be OK but everyone is bummed that the signing isn't a name player.  He might prove to be a real sleeper.

He also might prove to be shitty which is what he's been for 4 years.  You make these kind of moves last year or the year before, not when all your top talent is up.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, The Sir said:

The lineup of the Chicago White Sox is now tougher for opposing pitchers to get through. That’s what I care about. That’s what the White Sox care about. I don’t care that some mysterious number that doesn’t like Mazara’s defense is low. We have a better lineup now. The people who are joking about Mazara’s inability to hit while eagerly anticipating the golden days of Micker Adolfo are nuts.

Great we have a better lineup!  Is it good enough to overcome a questionable pitching staff?  If not, what the fuck are you trying to accomplish?  I want a team that can actually challenge for a playoff spot next year, not one that’s simply better the previous 72 win iteration.

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Great we have a better lineup!  Is it good enough to overcome a questionable pitching staff?  If not, what the fuck are you trying to accomplish?  I want a team that can actually challenge for a playoff spot next year, not one that’s simply better the previous 72 win iteration.

This team is always, and was always, going to go as far as Kopech, Gio, Cease and Lopez will take them. That's your core, either live with it, or don't. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So again, frustrating because I can't provide the URL filtered, but Fielding Bible made some updates to DRS so it's interesting to look at the adjustments.

If you filter for RF and add a minimum innings of like 600 (true RFers), you can see it puts Mazara at -4. Others at -4 aren Christian Yellich. Behind him at -5 are Fowler, Markakis and Blackmon. Adam Eaton is at -3.

So it's interesting to look at. He's not plus, but he's around others that we'd certainly feel are playable. His arm may be doing some work there which is good.

Offense will be the whole thing man, he's just gotta hit. This is definitely his fulcrum year so it will be interesting.

5 minutes ago, HahnsKiddieTable said:

My problem with this is this move is something a team looking to start a rebuild makes not a team looking to signal you are about over with the rebuild and are ready to win. Simple as that.

Maybe they're going to trade Moncada and Giolito after they do it again next year to gain players with more control. Probably would be their best shot of extending the window. 

They have 2 choices at this point....either extend Moncada and Giolito or trade them. It's unlikely they're winning anything during those guys tenure with the Sox. 

It sucks because those two are starting to scratch the surface of their immense potential, and they're probably going to peak elsewhere, just like Sale. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, TaylorStSox said:

This team is always, and was always, going to go as far as Kopech, Gio, Cease and Lopez will take them. That's your core, either live with it, or don't. 

I mean I think people are just saying add to that core...

8 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

We just traded a 23 year old who will probably never be a top 100 prospect for a 24 year who was once a top 15 prospect and Soxtalk is irate. Never change guys. 

Also, Nick Castellanos is a 10 WAR player... In almost 3700 PA's. Haha. 

What has being a top 15 prospect done for Mazara so far in 4 years in the majors?  He hasn’t hit 1 WAR in a single season.

What are your predictions for Mazara’s offensive output within his next two seasons with the Sox?

Edited by Moan4Yoan

Wow...really polarizing trade for this board. I'm on the side of good trade. I can see platton with Mazara getting 400 ABs and Engel/Leury the rest. Mazara mashed RH pitching and is young. I'll be PO'd if we don't come away with a rotation piece but, in a vacuum, Mazara is fine.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

Maybe they're going to trade Moncada and Giolito after they do it again next year to gain players with more control. Probably would be their best shot of extending the window. 

At that point you slam the window shut not extend it. As of right now the window is cracked open. It’s the GM and ownerships responsibility to kick that shit open and they are playing scared. #2ndplaceteams

2 minutes ago, HahnsKiddieTable said:

At that point you slam the window shut not extend it. As of right now the window is cracked open. It’s the GM and ownerships responsibility to kick that shit open and they are playing scared. #2ndplaceteams

If they're not willing to hand out even a $100M contract, let alone a $150M contract, they were never serious about competing anyway. 

Let's go one step further-if they're not willing to hang in Strasburg/Cole land, they're not serious about competing. 

Top talent costs greater than $200M in today's market. If you're not willing to go there, then quit selling the fans a bill of goods. We can go spend our summers doing other things. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

8 minutes ago, daa84 said:

Do people realize he is younger than Zach Collins?

Yes, and we have Mazara locked up for a whopping two seasons as a result of him entering the MLB so early.  But then again, who cares about him being locked up considering he can’t accumulate 1 WAR per season.

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I don’t get this comparison whatsoever.

He's a player that seems attractive, but if you actually look into the numbers, he sucks. 

I don't trust the projections that give him a 2.6 fWAR next year. I think that's generous. I think the 1.3-1.5 WAR he would have put up in 2019 over 190-200 innings is more realistic for the remainder of his career. 

Edited by Jack Parkman