Sox acquire Nomar Mazara for Steele Walker

Buehrle>Wood

Said yesterday the one thing this team has been missing in this rebuild is a diamond in the ruff. Theyve swung and missed so far, but if the white sox internal valuations on walker was that he was the 4th best RF prospect they had, and they see something they thing they can get out of mazara then you make this trade everytime. 

As long as they continue to acquire pieces and spend some more money, this is fine. 

He stinks and there aren't any underlying numbers that indicate he will get better. It's pretty clear that the team has changed directions after spending the last two years saying some shlock about "2020 vision" or whatever. Now the window starts in 2021. I guess the whole thing hinged on Wheeler signing.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

At this point, I think they should stick to short term fixes via FA. It would be a more prudent allocation of resources to do that at this point. 

Yep they've had a pretty subpar offseason so far. It would be better than shelling out long term money. 

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Said yesterday the one thing this team has been missing in this rebuild is a diamond in the ruff. Theyve swung and missed so far, but if the white sox internal valuations on walker was that he was the 4th best RF prospect they had, and they see something they thing they can get out of mazara then you make this trade everytime. 

As long as they continue to acquire pieces and spend some more money, this is fine. 

as long as its smart money

2 minutes ago, daggins said:

He stinks and there aren't any underlying numbers that indicate he will get better. It's pretty clear that the team has changed directions after spending the last two years saying some shlock about "2020 vision" or whatever. Now the window starts in 2021. I guess the whole thing hinged on Wheeler signing.

His hard hit % has gone up significantly every year for the past 4 years. Results havent been there yet, but theres certainly been some underlying improvements.

• Like 1

Just now, username said:

On the bright side...$5 Million for Mazara and signing let’s say Betances gives you similar WAR value to an Ozuna or Castellanos projection at far less $$.  Just need to ACTUALLY spend the remaining dollars to make this worth it. 

No, we’ll get some Stiever is the closer in waiting excuse for not spending on a more established reliever after wasting so much money on Herrera.

The team has nothing but $$ and they use assets to bring in talent.  I hate this trade.  I wanted the Sox to use a stopgap in RF until we see what we have in the minors.  For awhile now, I have really liked Walker.  He will now be a doubles machine for the Rangers and not on the South Side.

This offseason needed to be about pitching, pitching, pitching....maybe it still will be. 

As I have said before, I just do not trust Hahn to not trade the wrong assets.

Edited by wegner

2 minutes ago, wegner said:

The team has nothing but $$ and they use assets to bring in talent.  I hate this trade.  I wanted the Sox to use a stopgap in RF until we see what we have in the minors.  For awhile now, I have really liked Walker.  He will now be a doubles machine for the Rangers and not on the South Side.

This offseason needed to be about pitching, pitching, pitching....maybe it still will be. 

As I have said before, I just do not trust Hahn to not trade the wrong assets.

Fair enough. I know you and CWS were really high on Walker so I understand your frustrations. 

5 minutes ago, centerfieldsixers said:

what would you pay for your three options?

There are more than three options, and it doesn’t matter much what I would pay.  Time will tell their prices when they all eventually sign or are acquired.  Weren’t the Sox supposed to spend money this offseason?  “The money will be spent.”

2 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

There are more than three options, and it doesn’t matter much what I would pay.  Time will tell their prices when they all eventually sign or are acquired.  Weren’t the Sox supposed to spend money this offseason?  “The money will be spent.”

you seem to have all the answers so i wanted to hear your logic

We suffered through this rebuild to build a young core which we thought would be supplemented with some bona fide proven quality players when we were ready to compete.  Instead, we supplement the core by filling our biggest positional hole with a 1 WAR player?  Looks like we're right back where we started.

Last year was the only year in his young career he didn't hit 20 homers. He hit 19. His floor is right at 20 homers, hit .260, OBP .320. As "awful" as it is, it's a big upgrade. And he has potential to do a lot more. Maybe the Sox won't unlock it, maybe they will. 

I get he is not a big ticket item, and that will understandably upset a lot of people, but Rangers fans hate this trade too.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, South Side Fireworks Man said:

We suffered through this rebuild to build a young core which we thought would be supplemented with some bona fide proven quality players when we were ready to compete.  Instead, we supplement the core by filling our biggest positional hole with a 1 WAR player?  Looks like we're right back where we started.

Pretty sure they didnt trade for him with the expectation that he'll continue to be a 1 WAR player.

12 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

The player traded for Mazara wasn’t the only option to play RF other than Mazara.  But let’s try to avoid that aspect.

OK...who should the Sox have gotten, to play RF, with consideration to cost vs performance?

It isn't like this move is locking the organization up for years to come, with an average to below average player.

1 minute ago, centerfieldsixers said:

you seem to have all the answers so i wanted to hear your logic

Obviously Ozuna and Castellanos would be much more expensive.  A guy like Corey Dickerson would not be but could likely put up similar numbers to Mazara for two years.

And it’s up to Hahn and his front office team to have all the answers, not me.  This is a piss-poor move and you should be questioning where all the money is going that they said they would spend.