Sox acquire Nomar Mazara for Steele Walker

Buehrle>Wood

7 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

There are more than three options, and it doesn’t matter much what I would pay.  Time will tell their prices when they all eventually sign or are acquired.  Weren’t the Sox supposed to spend money this offseason?  “The money will be spent.”

I dont recall anyone saying the money needs to all be spent this off season. People in this board are like my teenage daughter. "Spend it all NOW" Not wait for more appropriate deals when they happen.

Edited by ptatc
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Capn12 said:

OK...who should the Sox have gotten, to play RF, with consideration to cost vs performance?

It isn't like this move is locking the organization up for years to come, with an average to below average player.

Joc would have been much better although admittedly I do not know the price the Dodgers wanted.

Just now, ptatc said:

I dont recall anyone saying the money needs to all be spent this off season. People in this board are like my teenage daughter. "Soend it all NOW" Not wait for more appropriate deals when they happen.

Except for the fact that "appropriate" deals are the ones they usually miss on. 

1 minute ago, Capn12 said:

OK...who should the Sox have gotten, to play RF, with consideration to cost vs performance?

It isn't like this move is locking the organization up for years to come, with an average to below average player.

There's no one in the minors, aside from Robert, who's ready to play in the outfield for the Sox.  I don't deny that there were other options that could have produced better results over the next 1-2 years.  This is a low risk, cheap, stopgap...for now.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Last year was the only year in his young career he didn't hit 20 homers. He hit 19. His floor is right at 20 homers, hit .260, OBP .320. As "awful" as it is, it's a big upgrade. And he has potential to do a lot more. Maybe the Sox won't unlock it, maybe they will. 

I get he is not a big ticket item, and that will understandably upset a lot of people, but Rangers fans hate this trade too.  

He actually hit the long ball, at a higher rate last year, than any other year, in his short career. He missed over 30 games.

1 minute ago, Chisox378 said:

Not according to the Rangers.

You said Walker was better right now. That's patently absurd. Steele Walker couldn't even hit lefties in the High A and he's only 14 months younger than Mazara who can hit RHP in the major leagues. It's fair to not like the deal. Saying crazy things that aren't true doesn't make any sense though. 

This is basically a move, that should be an afterthought. But I guess, due to the lack of pitching news, along with seeing other teams making the moves necessary, it brings on interesting discussion.

I'm fine with Mazara, as I think he still has some upside, and is still young enough to not feel like it was a throwaway move, done just to fill a roster spot. Any other guy (Joc via trade, Castellanos or Ozuna) would have cost a HELLUVA lot more, and none of those 3 guys are true organization keepers (IMO).

5 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Last year was the only year in his young career he didn't hit 20 homers. He hit 19. His floor is right at 20 homers, hit .260, OBP .320. As "awful" as it is, it's a big upgrade. And he has potential to do a lot more. Maybe the Sox won't unlock it, maybe they will. 

I get he is not a big ticket item, and that will understandably upset a lot of people, but Rangers fans hate this trade too.  

I do think he has some upside. The problem is he's here for two years- good or bad-  and they traded one of his potential replacements for him. 

An asset they can no longer use in the future to aquire pitching, when there are a number of options that could've given you Mazara's production that only cost money. And money is the one thing they have going for them, they haven't stopped telling us about it.

For all the hand wringing about how we couldn't sign players with a second round draft pick attached to the them....well, we just traded a second round pick.

The approach of the acquisition is more disappointing than the player 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Obviously Ozuna and Castellanos would be much more expensive.  A guy like Corey Dickerson would not be but could likely put up similar numbers to Mazara for two years.

And it’s up to Hahn and his front office team to have all the answers, not me.  This is a piss-poor move and you should be questioning where all the money is going that they said they would spend.

Corey Dickerson is at a .832 OPS for his career. Mazara hasn‘t come really close to this number once.

3 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

What is interesting about Mazara besides the gap power.. his ISO has gone up the last 4 years.

'16 - .153

'17 - .170

'18 - .178

'19 - .200 (and that was only 469 PAs)

Still not great, but it's very encouraging. 

Did this guy just beat the ball into the fucking ground for 4 years?

It's not like Arlington isn't a bandbox

10 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Obviously Ozuna and Castellanos would be much more expensive.  A guy like Corey Dickerson would not be but could likely put up similar numbers to Mazara for two years.

And it’s up to Hahn and his front office team to have all the answers, not me.  This is a piss-poor move and you should be questioning where all the money is going that they said they would spend.

Perhaps it’s fair to question that when the offseason is complete?

I am holding all judgement until the off season progresses more. But I do have the concern that many fans have: That this franchise will never be in the position or allow to itself to be in the position to make a real play for a stud free agent. And that is something I am coming to terms with. 

2 minutes ago, shakes said:

I do think he has some upside. The problem is he's here for two years- good or bad-  and they traded one of his potential replacements for him. 

An asset they can no longer use in the future to aquire pitching, when there are a number of options that could've given you Mazara's production that only cost money. And money is the one thing they have going for them, they haven't stopped telling us about it.

For all the hand wringing about how we couldn't sign players with a second round draft pick attached to the them....well, we just traded a second round pick.

The approach of the acquisition is more disappointing than the player 

I'm of the opinion that Steele Walker's value was the highest it would ever be. Theoretically, he could be used in a trade later. The Problem is, it's very likely that Walker would struggle in the AA Southern League as a 24 year old and his value would soften significantly. 

• Like 1