Sox acquire Nomar Mazara for Steele Walker

Buehrle>Wood

4 minutes ago, Baron said:

If you listen to Chuck's new podcast Evan Grant is on there. They talked about how disappointed Texas was in his range and how he wasn't getting to the balls that he absolutely should have been. This goes in with his bad DRS numbers. I have no idea why the White Sox would want to test this next year. 

Yelich -3 DRS

Fowler -4 DRS

Eaton -2 DRS

Brandon Nimmo -5 DRS 2 years ago, Mazara -4 DRS.;

Can we please stop pushing this narrative that he's some horrendous defensive player?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

I'm also glad we traded Walker and not Rutherford. I still like Rutherford a lot more. 

I wouldn't be surprised to see Mazara take off. He's got the profile and a really pretty swing. 

He has to be willing to make the neccessary adjustments to get better.  The Rangers tried and tried and tried and ultimately gave up on him.  Not a good sign.

Just now, Harold's Leg Lift said:

He has to be willing to make the neccessary adjustments to get better.  The Rangers tried and tried and tried and ultimately gave up on him.  Not a good sign.

https://theathletic.com/1451270/2019/12/11/this-one-hurts-why-the-rangers-traded-nomar-mazara-to-chicago-for-prospect-steele-walker/?source=shared-article

Posted this earlier which illustrates that in a clear way:

. The conversations with team officials tell … exactly the same story: Mazara was sticking with what worked, with what got him to the big leagues at age 20. He was a high-contact hitter who simply didn’t ever figure out how to live up to his outsized potential. He was super-streaky as a big leaguer, so there’s always the risk that he’ll figure it out and become a superstar on the south side, but the assessment I got from sources in the Rangers org was that he was very good at preparing for the day while lacking a bit on the preparation for the season.”

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Yelich -3 DRS

Fowler -4 DRS

Eaton -2 DRS

Brandon Nimmo -5 DRS 2 years ago, Mazara -4 DRS.;

Can we please stop pushing this narrative that he's some horrendous defensive player?

What did I say above that was wrong? 

3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Well sure. I just think there is too much risk with Bumgarner/Keuchel/Ryu and not enough reward to sign them to the deals they want. Any of the three could be the next James Shields. Save the flexibility. 

Ryu is the only one I want out of the lefties and only at 3 years max.

As the second FA, back-end/depth starter I wouldn't mind Walker, Teheran, Porcello, or Wood (although, all those guys could probably get guaranteed rotation spots on one of the many rebuilding teams).

Edited by soxfan2014

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

Well sure. I just think there is too much risk with Bumgarner/Keuchel/Ryu and not enough reward to sign them to the deals they want. Any of the three could be the next James Shields. Save the flexibility. 

Yeah I'm generally pretty aggressive with how I want this team to operate but none of those guys are fits for us especially at the prices being floated.

1 minute ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Yeah, but you know as well as I know that stubbornness can soften once the comfort zone you lived in gets turned upside down in the sports world.

2 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Hopefully getting traded serves as a wakeup call. Mazara right now is on a trajectory to play in Japan or Korea in a couple of years.

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

https://theathletic.com/1451270/2019/12/11/this-one-hurts-why-the-rangers-traded-nomar-mazara-to-chicago-for-prospect-steele-walker/?source=shared-article

. The conversations with team officials tell … exactly the same story: Mazara was sticking with what worked, with what got him to the big leagues at age 20. He was a high-contact hitter who simply didn’t ever figure out how to live up to his outsized potential. He was super-streaky as a big leaguer, so there’s always the risk that he’ll figure it out and become a superstar on the south side, but the assessment I got from sources in the Rangers org was that he was very good at preparing for the day while lacking a bit on the preparation for the season.”

This is weird. So he puts in the work for the day to day stuff, but doesn't know how to put in the work to put himself in a great position for the season?

Not sure I've ever heard that about a player before.

To me this trade is a guy we know that can be a positive (not great but not embarrassing) MLB player as compared to the shit we have rolled out in RF recently.

Anyone thinking Walker could be better than Mazara right now is being stupid.  Walker will most likely never be better than Mazara and Mazara still has upside.  This is so much like Avi's time with the White Sox and I think that is what people are seeing.  Walker was not netting anything more than this on his own and if he was going to be included in a larger package Sheets or Rutherford will fit that spot.

My hope is that this is opening the door on taking on money like in a Price deal.  If our positional players and money is now set for the year, the White Sox should be able to take on some bad contracts for players that can had for pitching help (Price, Ryu, etc.)  

Who cares about Mazara's status in two years worst case scenario if he does well and walks they get the Walker draft pick back.  

1 minute ago, bmags said:

Sounds exactly like Brian Anderson.  Talent got him to the big leagues quickly...but never capitalized on numerous opportunities given.

Mazara got passed up by Willie Calhoun.   Non-tender candidate with four lefties between corner OF and DH.

3 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

They also rushed him and the I'm not a big fan of The way the Rangers have deleloped some of their LA talent. 

Does anybody remember that 900 ft HR he hit off Reylo last year? 

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

This is weird. So he puts in the work for the day to day stuff, but doesn't know how to put in the work to put himself in a great position for the season?

Not sure I've ever heard that about a player before.

I think it sounds like Moncada. Changing his hitting approach was an off season adjustment, and doing what he did in the minors wasn't enough. It makes me wonder if the Sox think having Mazara around guys who have made that jump will help.

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

You've continually insinuated that he's an awful defender and it's simply not true. He's a slightly below average defender in RF. He's not Nick Castellanos out there.

Oh so your last statement was BS I got it. His DRS is infact bad. 

1 minute ago, G&T said:

I think it sounds like Moncada. Changing his hitting approach was an off season adjustment, and doing what he did in the minors wasn't enough. It makes me wonder if the Sox think having Mazara around guys who have made that jump will help.

Correct. He can prepare for an individual pitchers plan, but can’t make the overall approach adjustments for consistent success.