Sox acquire Nomar Mazara for Steele Walker

Buehrle>Wood

5 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

This translates into: I threw a fit this morning, but the rest of baseball likes this trade, so let me attempt to retract without actually taking blame. 

As if I cared about 'blame'. You are taking this way too serious. 

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Maybe, and I would like them to push more into the middle this year obviously.

They're not the favorite for those guys, but I'm just not a big fan of signing a guy to a huge contract just because. Castellanos and Ozuna have question marks, as does Mazara. One requires a lot bigger commitment to see what happens than the other guy.

I agree I wasn't a fan of the outfield options.

But their real need, the mandatory thing they needed this offseason, was a top of the line starting pitcher. I could tolerate a stopgap RF if we were spending $36 million a year on a cy young candidate. 

I'm not a big fan of the 2 pitching options who are left as middle-rotation guys, but there's pretty much no other option. They have Mazara (and Rodon) for 2 years. Otherwise, they're waving the white flag for 2020 already, and that leaves us 1 season before the "We need to trade Moncada/Giolito to make sure we get something for them" point is reached.

3 minutes ago, tray said:

So, hypothetically....you are the Sox brass and  the Rangers offer up Mazara for Steele Walker. Would  you say "no" ?    If so, the sh1t you're smoking ain't legal for a few more days.

I just looked at Mazara's You Tube highlights and he looks like what we might expect from a guy in his early twenties that was trying to learn on the fly in the majors. His spray chart looks pretty good to me with gap power to Left Center and his power is ridiculous.  Longest HR in the majors last season. He does not run very well but he has a cannon for an arm.

As Sir had mentioned,  you have to evaluate how this player fits into our line-up. I think Mazara fits in pretty well.

If the Sox get Castellanos, Beintendi, the Sox could flip Mazara. There are teams that were interested in him including Arizona (fe.g. a possibpe trade chip in a package for Robbie Ray).

For your eye test:

Why do people keep posting his youtube highlights?  He's a replacement level player that is going to be our starting RF when the window opens.  The FO is not going to sign an actual good MLB RF.  This has been their MO for a decade.

There is 0 reason why we are taking on a reclamation project as a starter right now.  It's laughable.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I agree I wasn't a fan of the outfield options.

But their real need, the mandatory thing they needed this offseason, was a top of the line starting pitcher. I could tolerate a stopgap RF if we were spending $36 million a year on a cy young candidate. 

I'm not a big fan of the 2 pitching options who are left as middle-rotation guys, but there's pretty much no other option. They have Mazara (and Rodon) for 2 years. Otherwise, they're waving the white flag for 2020 already, and that leaves us 1 season before the "We need to trade Moncada/Giolito to make sure we get something for them" point is reached.

I just can't get up in arms about the pitching situation. They went after their guy and offered him more money. They didn't get him.

I think the team obviously needed to have a plan B and if they didn't, that's horrible management and they should be lambasted. But missing on Wheeler doesn't mean they should overreact and sign Bumgarner for 100 million.

3 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

You cannot possibly say the White Sox will "Still spend nothing when the rebuild is ending" while looking at this trade. This is literally looking at options they could spend on, better players, who would cost more money, and taking a worse player because he costs less.

But also because he's not a long term commitment.  I no fan of this move overall, but Mazara at $5.7M for a 1 year is world's better log term than Ozuna at 5/$90M or whatever he's going to get.  Ozuna makes the 2020 White Sox better than Mazara - Mazara makes the 2021-2024 White Sox immensely more flexible both on field and and monetarily.  

1 minute ago, Gtrams42 said:

Since RF is sorta filled, I’d  take on Price’s contract along with Groome/ another top prospect and turn that into a trade for Snell adding Dunning, Steiver, Basabe and Collins. Whatever it takes with out including Madrigal and Vaughn 

That will not get Snell.  

1 minute ago, BackDoorBreach said:

Why do people keep posting his youtube highlights?  He's a replacement level player that is going to be our starting RF when the window opens.  The FO is not going to sign an actual good MLB RF.  This has been their MO for a decade.

There is 0 reason why we are taking on a reclamation project as a starter right now.  It's laughable.

Hard to call a 25 year old a reclamation project.

Fans love the 23-24 year old prospect, but they hate the future for a 24/25 year old big leaguer. That's just the irrational nature of being a fan and loving your young guys. 

No one can possibly argue that the ceiling for Steele Walker is higher than the ceiling for Nomar Mazara.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

4 minutes ago, Juschill said:

This is a silly assumption.

Could be but I don't think so.

JR never wanted to tear down a team and totally rebuild. I think he very reluctantly agreed to it. If it isn't successful after 5 years, I think he will, be pissed and get a new FO.

Edited by ptatc

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

But also because he's not a long term commitment.  I no fan of this move overall, but Mazara at $5.7M for a 1 year is world's better log term than Ozuna at 5/$90M or whatever he's going to get.  Ozuna makes the 2020 White Sox better than Mazara - Mazara makes the 2021-2024 White Sox immensely more flexible both on field and and monetarily.  

And when they pass on Betts, Springer, and Bauer next offseason, people will say the same thing about 2022-2025. Just as they said the same thing last offseason about 2020-2022 when we missed on Harper and Machado.

Just think of the flexibility we'll get when we move Moncada and Giolito. They have a literal ticking clock. You've got 4 seasons.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, teorey23 said:

The issue is that we as Sox fans are forced to believe this is the big move... 
A very MEH player

We were told the Machado money would be spent, it still has not been spent and now we’re gonna be spoon fed by the White Sox Talk guys Mookie to the White Sox in 2020 

Jerry isn’t gonna spend the money it takes to put us over the top.

Who is forcing you to believe that?  Who is even suggesting it?

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Hard to call a 25 year old a reclamation project.

Fans love the 23-24 year old prospect, but they hate the future for a 24/25 year old big leaguer. That's just the irrational nature of being a fan and loving your young guys. 

No one can possibly argue that the ceiling for Steele Walker is higher than the ceiling for Nomar Mazara.

Okay, so why are we trading for a prospect to play RF in 2020 when our entire core is up?

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

And when they pass on Betts, Springer, and Bauer next offseason, people will say the same thing about 2022-2025. Just as they said the same thing last offseason about 2020-2022 when we missed on Harper and Machado.

Just think of the flexibility we'll get when we move Moncada and Giolito. They have a literal ticking clock. You've got 4 seasons.

I get it, but if you don't see the difference between 2020 and 2021, I don't know what to tell ya.  

But ya, I would prefer a better player in RF in 2020 than Mazara - we're on the same page there.  

1 hour ago, TaylorStSox said:

It's just Yoan's brigade of haters using this as another excuse to talk shit about things that aren't even related to the trade. It's not the trade, they're just mad and they're going to cry about it at every turn. 

Yes, that it.  🙄  It’s not that people are wondering why the hell the Sox settled for a flawed outfielder when better outfielders are currently still available.  You can’t address this because you have no answer.

Edited by Moan4Yoan