Sox acquire Nomar Mazara for Steele Walker

Buehrle>Wood

1 minute ago, maloney.adam said:

People must not like his name or something. It’s not a splashy move like a Castellanos or Ozuna but you get a LH power bat in the lineup that has untapped potential and a better defender than Castellanos and Ozuna at a cheaper cost. 

The dude has never hit over 20 HRs.  Tim Anderson is more of a power bat than he is.

4 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Negating the roster and making it harder for the Sox are two entirely different things.

It only took Kenny Rogers vs. a parade of 5th starters that were the equivalent of Mazara in 2003 and Thome over Kotsay in 2010 to give the Twins two more AL Central titles.

One player.

Lmao only Kenny Rogers and only Thome?  Ok man 

I like this deal and think it will turn out in Sox favor. Mazara will only make $5.6 million, have 2 years of control, about to turn 25 years old best years are ahead of him, bats lefty which Sox needed. Walker is only 13 months younger in High A Ball, hasn't been able to hit lefties, and shown little power. I know Mazara also has had difficulties hitting lefties, but was rushed with the Rangers and I think things might click in a different environment. I know analytics have been down on him, but has a ton of upside and is definitely a need and risk the White Sox should take. 

1 minute ago, PolishPrince34 said:

I like this deal and think it will turn out in Sox favor. Mazara will only make $5.6 million, have 2 years of control, about to turn 25 years old best years are ahead of him, bats lefty which Sox needed. Walker is only 13 months younger in High A Ball, hasn't been able to hit lefties, and shown little power. I know Mazara also has had difficulties hitting lefties, but was rushed with the Rangers and I think things might click in a different environment. I know analytics have been down on him, but has a ton of upside and is definitely a need and risk the White Sox should take. 

Nobody gives a shit about Walker that's not why I'm seething.

4 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

The same people who hate this trade will probably hate when they trade for Price too, despite clamoring for a SP, in particular Price.

I think I'd rather have Mazara for Walker than Price for Walker.

I would have no problem with Price. I don't see the White Sox finding a way to make that work now. The Red Sox wouldn't have liked any of their moves, but packaging Benintendi with Price is the only way I could really see them pulling it off - clearing 2 contracts at once. They aren't going to want to send along money to the White Sox when they're trying to save money, and they're not going to be thrilled about including the limited prospects they have to make that deal. Benintendi + Price together was the only way I could see that work for the White Sox - both are pricey, but both satisfy things the White Sox needed. Now with no need for Benintendi, I will be surprised if there's any way to make it work now.

Just now, Balta1701 said:

I would have no problem with Price. I don't see the White Sox finding a way to make that work now. The Red Sox wouldn't have liked any of their moves, but packaging Benintendi with Price is the only way I could really see them pulling it off - clearing 2 contracts at once. They aren't going to want to send along money to the White Sox when they're trying to save money, and they're not going to be thrilled about including the limited prospects they have to make that deal. Benintendi + Price together was the only way I could see that work for the White Sox - both are pricey, but both satisfy things the White Sox needed. Now with no need for Benintendi, I will be surprised if there's any way to make it work now.

Price and JDM?

19 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

The White Sox got a .636 OPS out of RF last year. 

Somehow we were also #2 in the league in baserunning performance out of RF. I'll leave it to others to figure that out.

I thought I read that it was something like .562. Either way, Mazara will bring a big improvement to a position where we totally sucked.

4 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

You think the Tigers would have had that dominating decade-long run if Miguel Cabrera and Torii Hunter were on the White Sox?

Dude what the hell are you even talking about right now.  I shouldn't have even responded because I knew it would get dumb but goddamn

saying Kenny Rogers and Jim Thome negated the entire Sox roster In 03 and 10 is not even close to the same thing as what you changed this too.   Both of those teams had great offense and pitching 

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

Price and JDM?

The White Sox are not adding $50 million in payroll and the Red Sox aren't adding $25 million per year. 

Plus, any money going with JDM becomes a mess for planning because you don't know if and when the guy might opt out. The White Sox aren't going to risk taking on the full amount in 2021 if JDM doesn't opt out. The Red Sox aren't going to send you $10 million to cover the contract of a guy who might opt out. 

1 hour ago, FelixGordon27 said:

I understand why a lot of White Sox Nation is up in arms over this deal - they're afraid it's another small market move of mediocrity... But let's all relax and let the offseason play out.

It's a small, low-risk move to fill a hole in the short-term that should allow more resources to be allocated toward pitching. Isn't the lineup pretty set over the next 3-6 years without a big $$ right fielder? CF Robert/3B Moncada/LF Jimenez/1B Vaughn/DH Abreu/C Grandal/SS Anderson/2B Madrigal ... I am good with that lineup and would rather $15M per go toward a SP or multiple bullpen arms. 

Of course they need to spend the $ and we need to hold ownership accountable, but rushing to spend the $ just because you can = losing mentality.

Pretty damn good 1st post.

Lots of ways to look at this if we even give the Sox front office a little credit which is admittedly hard to do.

It's a cheap gamble on his upside, If he hits 30+ HR's next year.they likely get back more in trade than they gave up. If they decide to trade him this off season he is likely more valuable than Steele Walker .There are probably teams out there like the Sox willing to make a cheap gamble on his upside.

Always have to keep the next moves in mind which should be centered on pitching. With the FA market for pitching looking more and more expensive maybe the Sox aren't thrilled with the idea of spending too much on Bumgarner,Ryu and Keuchel or even that they have much of a shot of getting them considering the widespread speculation about the Dodgers and others being  in on them .  They might be lining up a trade for a young controllable pitcher like a Gallen or Snell or whoever with prospects and Mazara as part of the package. I haven't really been thrilled with the idea of trading prospects but maybe you could get someone pretty good with Madrigal, Vaughn,Mazara, Collins, Lopez, and Stiever or some combination.

Unfortunately for those who really really wanted to become a 90 win team this year  the Sox haven't moved that needle very much and it is scary to think it's kicking the can down the road again. It's always been my position even with getting Wheeler there was only a hope and a dream of winning 90 next year.

It is still really early in the off season and just have to see what comes next. Optimism, trust and hope is not a big thing here but that's all we got and it is truly hard to give it to those in charge.

3 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Dude what the hell are you even talking about right now.  I shouldn't have even responded because I knew it would get dumb but goddamn

You said one individual player doesn’t make a difference.

Quite obviously it can and does.  If you don’t want to accept the conventional wisdom of why the White Sox lost in 2003 and 2010, it’s up to you.   Blame it on Matt Thornton, if you prefer, instead of losing Thome.

“LMAO” is not exactly a critical-thinking derived answer.  

Edited by caulfield12

10 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

"This doesn't preclude a run at Lindor next year" - this fanbase next offseason.

Yep, there’s always another star player that Sox fan lemmings can fantasize that our awful front office will make a run at.  They are starting to sound like Cubs fans with the motto of, “There’s always next year!”

Edited by Moan4Yoan

Just now, caulfield12 said:

You said one individual player doesn’t make a difference.

Quite obviously it can and does.  If you don’t want to accept the conventional wisdom of why the White Sox lost in 2003 and 2010, it’s up to you.   Blame it on Matt Thornton, if you prefer instead of losing Thome.

No you said one player makes the entire difference.  Not the same thing.   Tell me how good those teams pitching and offenses were besides the two players you listed.  What a garbage argument.   Mauer was mvp level that year, Pavano and liriano were good and their bullpen was shut down. 03 had that Same shut down pen and their offense was also really good

6 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Compare and contrast that to the aggressive moves the Padres have been making...they still might not catch the a Dodgers until 2021-22, but they’re getting closer and closer...especially with Kershaw falling off.  But they still have so much talent in LA on the offensive side.

Despite having Fernando Tatis and Manny Machado, the Padres still have to catch the White Sox. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

The White Sox are not adding $50 million in payroll and the Red Sox aren't adding $25 million per year. 

Plus, any money going with JDM becomes a mess for planning because you don't know if and when the guy might opt out. The White Sox aren't going to risk taking on the full amount in 2021 if JDM doesn't opt out. The Red Sox aren't going to send you $10 million to cover the contract of a guy who might opt out. 

No team is taking on Price for 3/96, end of story. Red Sox would have to eat some money in order to move him. 

I wasn't a huge Walker guy to start, but I don't get all the hate for this move.  Could the Sox have done better?  Sure.  But I don't think this is terrible.  At very worst they got a 2 year stop gap that is at least a major leaguer.  It gives guys like Adolfo and Basabe a chance to be the RF if they progress.  I also didn't love the fit of Castellanos or Ozuna.  While they are the best free agent OFers this year, they aren't ideal fits.  If someone better becomes available, the Sox could easily make room for them.  

This is all contingent, of course in acquiring some pitching, both in the rotation and the pen.  But I don't think this on its own is a terrible move.  Walker was redundant in the system.  So I think they got a MLB player for an older A ball player.  

• Like 1