Sox acquire Nomar Mazara for Steele Walker

Buehrle>Wood

1 hour ago, almagest said:

I think people should look at this move separate from spending more money. There was no real right fielder available besides Calhoun. Castellanos and Ozuna would likely be worse than Mazara out there, and Calhoun's career offensive numbers are close to Mazara's.

It is not even comparable. Ozuna is a far better player even if you assume his defense would be worse.

1 minute ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Lefty hitters usually struggle against lefty pitchers.  I would like a manager that acknowledges this, factors in analytics, and creates his lineup accordingly.

Ricky is usually criticized for sticking with the lefty-righty matchups too often, so I don't think that will play too much of factor. But I get wanting to get young players adept at hitting both.

5 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Lefty hitters usually struggle against lefty pitchers.  I would like a manager that acknowledges this, factors in analytics, and creates his lineup accordingly.

Gabe Kapler said something yesterday that should really resonate with fans regarding a full on analytic based decision making.

They asked Kapler what the one major change he would make in his second go around as manager and do you know what he said? He said he's going to remember that these are people whose production relies heavily on confidence. Every time you pinch hit a player for another in a situation that gives you a small edge, you need to remember that there is a player being removed from the game as well; being told he's not good enough. That has an effect on players, even if people want to say "shut up and do your job." These are still human beings, and to hear Kapler (who is one of the most stat-forward managers and people in baseball) say that was very telling. He said if the reward for the swap is small, you're better off not harming the confidence of a player. Also he said players aren't always what they once were, and when you don't give them a chance to change that, they become stuck in their ways and start to tell themselves that they had no chance and there's no point on working on improving.

I feel the exact same way as Kapler.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

There’s a reason Theo just let Maddon go for Ross.  He wants Ross to make the lineups based on analytics and worry about managing the in-game decisions.

What? They let him go because they have massively underperformed based on the team THEO put together and they needed a scapegoat. Please don't overthink that one. 

Just now, Chisoxmb35 said:

What? They let him go because they have massively underperformed based on the team THEO put together and they needed a scapegoat. Please don't overthink that one. 

There is pretty good chatter that it was really more about the relationship than the actual record.

5 minutes ago, fathom said:

The Sox are one batter short on offense.  Relying on Nomar to hit LHP or McCann to DH or Collins do anything at all is foolish IMO.

I think that is what Hahn is hinting at with his latest comments...

https://mobile.twitter.com/SBekovic/status/1204843770111504385

They are going to add a right-handed bench outfielder.  I believe you already predicted Souza.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

1 hour ago, turnin' two said:

I wasn't a huge Walker guy to start, but I don't get all the hate for this move.  Could the Sox have done better?  Sure.  But I don't think this is terrible.  At very worst they got a 2 year stop gap that is at least a major leaguer. 

We already have stop gaps to play RF with Engel and Leury, we don't need another one. It was time to get a good player to truly improve the team and they failed.

29 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

I still think they should have done better than Mazara but I agree with you there.

If they don’t add a couple legit starting pitching options and some relief help, this offseason will be a failure.

Can we just ignore your other 25 posts regarding Mazara and like this more reasonable one ?

1 minute ago, Sleepy Harold said:

Well, I would because it's a completely shit trade that does nothing to propel this team forward and is completely on point with how this FO has operated in the past.

Unless they are adding an actual above replacement level RF and mitigating Mazara to a depth roll he can fuck off 💅

4 minutes ago, ptatc said:

There is pretty good chatter that it was really more about the relationship than the actual record.

Do you not agree then, that the relationship working out if the record were better? It all points to the roster decisions that got them into said situation in the first place. Theo was the the issue, but you know.. he isn't going to fire himself. 

Edited by Chisoxmb35

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

This sounds different than the previous tweet

https://mobile.twitter.com/JRFegan/status/1204838712514764800

They aren't going to pigeon hole the guy and tell him he's not good enough at something right when they want to acquire him. You can not tell a player to work on getting better in an area if you aren't going to give them the opportunity to show what they've done.

11 minutes ago, JuliusO1274 said:

It is not even comparable. Ozuna is a far better player even if you assume his defense would be worse.

He was 10 points better in OPS+ and his defense was bad in LF. In RF it would be even worse. I don't buy it.

Edited by almagest