Sox acquire Nomar Mazara for Steele Walker

Buehrle>Wood

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

I don’t think that’s what Hahn meant at all with regards to Mazara.  My opinion was he meant by going the less expensive avenue in RF would help upgrade other spots.

Hmmm, I read it and interpreted as they may acquire a right-handed bench bat to complement Mazara in RF.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

12 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

I think that is what Hahn is hinting at with his latest comments...

https://mobile.twitter.com/SBekovic/status/1204843770111504385

They are going to add a right-handed bench outfielder.  I believe you already predicted Souza.

The optimist in me also reads him as implying that since money was saved in RF, we can spend on pitching be it FA or absorbing a bad deal in a trade in exchange for a good long term SP at a cost controlled price (Snell?).

Ofcourse if it were Snell or something like that, it would probably have to be a three team trade. I'm not sure Tampa has many really bad contracts they want to move.

Just now, Moan4Yoan said:

Hmmm, I read it and interpreted as they may acquire a right-handed bench bat to complement Mazara in RF.

It's hard to tell.  I do believe that they will pick up some pitching, and if trading for Mazara allows them to spend more elsewhere, that's great.  However, the other tweet about deciding about RF once the roster is filled makes me think they may look for a RH compliment.  Maybe both will happen...hopefully.

1 minute ago, SonofaRoache said:

I will exhale when I see positive results. They've always talked a big game. 

Like when they said the 250 million dollars to Machado with a hundred escalators would be spent, and they spent 50 of it to 39 year old DH Jose Abreu who's value has been falling off a cliff especially when he's relegated to DH in 2021, and then traded for 0.5 fWAR Nomar Mazara to solidify our -3 WAR RF position last year for 6 and then 8-10 million in 2021, signed Grandal to 70 million (Good) and then just invested the remaining 100+ million because real MLB players that will help your team are too expensive?

I memba

2 minutes ago, Jake said:

I see Hahn's comments as being consistent with a number of things, including bringing in a bigger fish for RF, adding someone who is more like a platoon partner, and/or bringing in a big name at some other spot (probably SP)

I don't see how him saying that Mazara is how they addressed RF plays to him implying that they could bring in a bigger RF'er.

I think it's very obvious that the way they addressed RF was Mazara and that allows them to do some other things.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

Castellanos RF and DH

Yes that seems like a clear option although one wonders if Castellanos would be on board with potentially getting stuck at DH in the event that Mazara breaks out. If he's thinking about his next contract he probably wants to play in the field for as long as possible.

4 minutes ago, fathom said:

Castellanos RF and DH

I’ll believe it when I see it.

Your suggestion of Chris Taylor is more likely. He would be a good target.  Right-handed bat, good hitter, can play everywhere, and will only earn around $5 million via salary arbitration increase.  The Dodgers could look to trade him with their overloaded infield and outfield.

Edited by Moan4Yoan