Sox acquire Nomar Mazara for Steele Walker

Buehrle>Wood

1 minute ago, hi8is said:

Heard from a reliable source that contrary to Hahn’s statement recently they expect no trade movement for the rest of the offseason if prices in requested talent remain so high.

My friend said that Mazara was the “only reasonable ask from another team they’ve had all offseason.”

Heard from the same source that they don’t expect anything significant from free agency either after Cole / Stratsburg.

Maybe.

Here we go again.

26 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Fine, give me a name that makes sense. That's no where near Blake Snell. Who else is on the trading block that we think this would be a sensible return for? 

Mike Clevinger, Luis Castillo, Kyle Hendricks, Marco Gonzales

Those are all dubious fits though except maybe Marco Gonzales, who would be a little light IMO for Vaughn. Gonzales and Haniger for Vaughn++ works for me.

2 minutes ago, TomPickle said:

Mike Clevinger, Luis Castillo, Kyle Hendricks, Marco Gonzales

Those are all dubious fits though except maybe Marco Gonzales, who would be a little light IMO for Vaughn. Gonzales and Haniger for Vaughn++ works for me.

woof.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

The shine hasn't come off Vaughn like it had with Rutherford, but Vaughn's value is depressed because he's limited in positions. He'd be a fit for the Mets in a Syndergaard trade, but the Mets have Alonso at 1b so that only works as a 3-way deal, and those are rare enough it's barely worth thinking about. Any team that thinks they can fill 1b fairy cheaply will not give up a premium talent for that position. 

Maybe, maybe not.  I don't think we were the only ones who would have taken him #3 in the draft.  Find another org that valued him similarly and see if there's a match, if we're actually looking to make a major trade.  Personally, I'd move Madrigal before Vaughn.  

Just now, TomPickle said:

Haniger was still on roughly a 3 WAR pace before his appearance on "Ow, My Balls!" Gonzales is a #3 starter. You'd be getting 5 years of those guys for 6 years of Vaughn. I don't think that's a crazy trade.

It's one of those things that on value it lines up but is that really where you want to unload your top available prospect? I just don't trust Hanigers production and I hate Gonzalez.

1 minute ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Without knowing anything about the Rangers' system it's just more that he was #6 here given that the Sox are in a rebuild that sort of depth is poor.

I like Callis a lot but he throws 50s and 45s on everything. Walker was not our #6 prospect post-draft.

1 minute ago, bmags said:

It's one of those things that on value it lines up but is that really where you want to unload your top available prospect? I just don't trust Hanigers production and I hate Gonzalez. 

I don't strongly disagree. Balta was literally asking for mid-level rotation pieces that could be dealt for Vaughn. Those seemed like the best fits to me. Musgrove, Thor, Fried, and a few others don't line up as well because of the first base situations on those teams.

6 minutes ago, bighurt574 said:

Maybe, maybe not.  I don't think we were the only ones who would have taken him #3 in the draft.  Find another org that valued him similarly and see if there's a match, if we're actually looking to make a major trade.  Personally, I'd move Madrigal before Vaughn.  

If you wanted to do the classic white sox drafting for trade value, Abrams would have been a better choice. Vaughn fit us because we had that position available. Everyone would trade for a shortstop.

Just now, Balta1701 said:

If you wanted to do the classic white sox drafting for trade value, Abrams would have been a better choice. Vaughn fit us because we had that position available. Everyone would trade for a shortstop.

wait what?  I highly doubt the Sox drafted Vaughn because they "had a position available".  They drafted him because he was the best college bat and BPA.

4 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/white-sox-acquire-good-fit-in-mazara-rangers-farm-system-gets-deeper/

Don't always agree with Longenhagen, but I agree with him here.

Good take on the deal, imo.

From the article: "Texas’ system is so deep that Walker will likely be ranked in the 13-to-25 range on that list, whereas he was in the 9-to-11 range on the Sox rundown, which is why we continue to encourage readers to focus on the FV rather than the ordinal ranking."

4 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

wait what?  I highly doubt the Sox drafted Vaughn because they "had a position available".  They drafted him because he was the best college bat and BPA.

While he was the best college bat, he would not have the best trade value out of the guys available there because of his positional inflexibility. Teams that have a 1b now won’t trade for him, you have to swap him for someone else’s prospect. 

if we are thinking of trading him, then the people who said we should default to the shortstop in the draft were right.