Sox acquire Nomar Mazara for Steele Walker

Buehrle>Wood

7 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

They get an A+ for improving at catcher but it’s probably a D for right field.

Still better than the F- they had in RF last year. Not every position needs to have an All-Star, even the Yankmees don't have that.

19 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

It's not like your experience is unique. Most of us just grow up at some point. Carry on.

People who grow up don't care about their family and things they enjoy with their family anymore? Weird stuff.

You spend hours on this message board, as do many of us, debating and arguing over something that only a child should care about according to you.

The day sharing a common interest with your family and enjoying those moments - while wanting to have more of the successful ones - becomes something childish I will be long gone.

• Love 1

I don't think all hope is lost; this team is lucky enough that amazingly their big trade pieces have almost all panned out. 

Kopech and Cease are TBD; but they are clearly high talent big leaguers with some longevity in their futures barring injury.

Eloy and Moncada look like stars.

Lopez looks like an, at worst, serviceable big league arm. 

Dunning is entirely TBD.

Robert is like a walking statue of what a great baseball player should look like.

This team isn't dead in the water because they have a lot of high end talent, but I'm losing face in the organization to maximize that talent. I'm still willing to give them another year, but I don't want to spend hours watching complete garbage again. Can't imagine how disappointing it would be to be in the Cubs position of possibly moving a HOF'er because they claim they can't afford him while having elite revenue numbers. Fans are being taken for a ride by ownerships league wide. Owners have never opened the books, and I can assure you it's for very good reason.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

ha, I've always been critical when criticism is warranted.

The one thing I've learned in my life, and taught everyone who has worked for me, is to under promise and over deliver. It's the easiest premise in life but the White Sox fail to do so miserably every year with it.

I'm frustrated because I think 95% of the blame in FA lies at the feet of ownership. As you see with all these big contracts, these are ownership deals. The owners are always in the room and etc. My beef with Hahn is he keeps thinking he's going to talk his boss into this, and he leads fans on. 

My problem is:

1. The Sox saved a shit ton of money. They haven't run a payroll over 100 million since 2015. This team ran a 121 million dollar payroll in 2007! It's 2019 and they are going to go into a season in which they claimed "was time to start trying" with a payroll under what they ran at 13 years ago. That's embarrassing. 

2. Sox fans were told repeatedly they'd be rewarded for their patience. When? As I said, if they wanted to use a stop gap in RF and trust that Gio/Kopech/Cease would be TOR guys and invest their big lump into Mookie or Springer? Fine, but who can possibly believe that will happen? I don't think next year has to be the year - as I pointed out, the Astros missed the playoffs the year after they were wild card - but I just want to see something. I feel like the carrot has been dangled in front of my face so long that it's brown and moldy.

3. Why can't the Sox compete for top of the market guys? That narrative is tired. They have a rich owner - even worse an owner who has gotten rich off the back of the fans he doesn't support - and they have a great TV deal. 

Also what does that even mean the Sox don't owe me shit? What kind of miserable person goes through life with no expectation for things they invest their time and money into? The Sox don't owe me anything, but I certainly have the right to voice my displeasure with their constant BS.

Lastly, these last few years have been miserable man. I know I sound like a spoiled Sox fan because for most of my life I didn't have to watch miserable baseball... but this last decade and specifically these last 4 years have been really hard. I love to go to games and record/watch them all on TV when I get time. This team has been flat out tough to watch. I really don't like the modern rebuild in sports; teams don't even attempt to put MLB talent on the field but they still charge MLB prices and etc. I want to watch teams try to win; I don't like watching teams run out non-MLB talent in hopes of competing one day and I think it's nonsense a lot of the time. These organizations have made hundreds and hundreds of millions with these investments; some even billions. There's no reason a team needs to strip it all the way down and put complete garbage on the field as entertainment for four years. I understand why the Sox did it, and I hope it works, but it's been a really hard and painful 4 years for someone like me who just loves the game. I got a lot of enjoyment out of watching the team compete for 20 years, even if they came up short most of the time. At least there was excitement and hope. Sorry for the long post, this is all just frustrating sometimes.

I'll try to address this without being a total prick. 

When the Sox decided to rebuild, I immediately dropped my expectations and put zero emotional investment into the outcome of games. The only things that caused me any kind pain were Kopech and Hansen going down. Those 2 injuries made me reevaluate my expectations. 

I thought last year was fun and enjoyed it more than any season for a long time. I didn't care whether they won or lost games. Those outcomes were irrelevant. I enjoyed the season because of Moncada, Anderson and Giolito becoming elite players. 

This year I care about the outcomes of games because I expect them to compete. I don't expect playoffs, but I do expect around 85 wins. Regardless, I'll have fun watching Moncada, Gio, Eloy, Robert, Anderson, Cease, Kopech, Reylo, Madrigal and Mazara. 

Generally, the older I've gotten, the more I've been able to prioritize life and not let sports affect me emotionally. 

Edited by TaylorStSox
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

People who grow up don't care about their family and things they enjoy with their family anymore? Weird stuff.

You spend hours on this message board, as do many of us, debating and arguing over something that only a child should care about according to you.

The day sharing a common interest with your family and enjoying those moments - while wanting to have more of the successful ones - becomes something childish I will be long gone.

It's about sharing time and enjoying the experience, not winning or losing. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, TaylorStSox said:

I'll try to address this without being a total prick. 

When the Sox decided to rebuild, I immediately dropped my expectations and put zero emotional investment into the outcome of games. The only things that caused me any kind pain were Kopech and Hansen going down. Those 2 injuries made me reevaluate my expectations. 

I thought last year was fun and enjoyed it more than any season for a long time. I didn't care whether they won or lost games. Those outcomes were irrelevant. I enjoyed the season because of Moncada, Anderson and Giolito became elite players. 

This year I care about the outcomes of games because I expect them to compete. I don't expect playoffs, but I do expect around 85 wins. Regardless, I'll have fun watching Moncada, Gio, Eloy, Robert, Anderson, Cease, Kopech, Reylo, Madrigal and Mazara. 

Generally, the older I've gotten, the more I've been able to prioritize life and not let sports affect me emotionally. 

I agree with this, but this is all for naught if they don't try to capitalize on these pieces. Watching Gio pitch was a thing of beauty and was very enjoyable. But we deserve that, and shouldn't be grateful for it.

Sports don't effect me emotionally in a way that it brings me down or demoralizes me, but the joy that it brings during pennant runs and the time it fills during slower summer months is much more enjoyable than the opposite. I still talk about the Sox the same with my uncles and father; I still have season tickets with my uncle specifically, but it sucks watching Daniel Palka and Adam Engle and Dylan Covey. I don't know what to tell you, but I expect people to do their jobs and try to succeed to the same level I do. 

2 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

It's about sharing time and enjoying the experience, not winning or losing. 

Come on, winning is always more fun than losing. 

Sports is about having fun. Losing to the degree this team has lost has been miserable; don't ask your fan base to suffer through that if you don't intend on rewarding them at the end of the tunnel when the light starts shining through.

I don't know what year you played baseball through, but I can tell you that my years in which we won were certainly more fun than the years in which we lost. I developed bonds and relationships regardless, that I will have for life which is the point of this all, but it's nice to have a bond developed from success instead of failure. 

39 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

You can play this game and find something wrong with every player.  Last offseason, people were finding faults with both Machado and Harper.

So just don’t acquire anyone?

You don't get it. I, for one, would be happy with any of those guys I listed, but not this stupid fan base. Nope. You will all find faults in all of them and it'll all go back to "DUMB RICK HAHN!!!!" They could've signed Machado and we'd be pissed, because you know, the vast majority were already discussing how thankful they were 3 weeks ago that Machado didn't sign here. See how that works?

• Love 1

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I agree with this, but this is all for naught if they don't try to capitalize on these pieces. Watching Gio pitch was a thing of beauty and was very enjoyable. But we deserve that, and shouldn't be grateful for it.

Sports don't effect me emotionally in a way that it brings me down or demoralizes me, but the joy that it brings during pennant runs and the time it fills during slower summer months is much more enjoyable than the opposite. I still talk about the Sox the same with my uncles and father; I still have season tickets with my uncle specifically, but it sucks watching Daniel Palka and Adam Engle and Dylan Covey. I don't know what to tell you, but I expect people to do their jobs and try to succeed to the same level I do. 

I actually liked watching Palka because he was so bad that reached fun bad status. 

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Come on, winning is always more fun than losing. 

Sports is about having fun. Losing to the degree this team has lost has been miserable; don't ask your fan base to suffer through that if you don't intend on rewarding them at the end of the tunnel when the light starts shining through.

I don't know what year you played baseball through, but I can tell you that my years in which we won were certainly more fun than the years in which we lost. I developed bonds and relationships regardless, that I will have for life which is the point of this all, but it's nice to have a bond developed from success instead of failure. 

Our years of playing baseball are irrelevant. We don't play for the Sox. The Sox performance is completely out of our control. 

2 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

You don't. You're a clown. I'm telling Ray not to let clowns like you ruin his time. 

You constantly argue that no one should be this upset about crappy ownership and front office and whiffing on free agents but you have no problem blaming posters?

Who is the clown again?

Edited by Moan4Yoan
  • Like 1

Just now, TaylorStSox said:

Our years of playing baseball are irrelevant. We don't play for the Sox. The Sox performance is completely out of our control. 

Sure, but it doesn't change the premise that winning will always be more fun than losing. 

Billy Pierce was a great man; his team losing cost him a spot in the Hall of Fame. To listen to him talk about the White Sox throughout my childhood was always a treat; he had nothing negative to say about his time as a big leaguer or the team, but losing cost him the honor and praise he deserved. Losing has an impact on things, however small it may be in the grand scheme of life. I grew up loving the White Sox because of the respect they showed to someone like Billy; I admired their sense of family and loyalty. There are things I appreciate about the organization - their treatment of their own has always been positive - but there are also things I just hate in life and that's people who over promise and under deliver.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

what Balta fails to mention in his comment is the Astros missed the playoffs the year after they were the wild card. 

Great. Win the Wild Card this year and you have some leeway. I am ok with that response as long as everyone agrees that missing the playoffs this season is totally unacceptable. That should be the absolute standard.

4 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Sure, but it doesn't change the premise that winning will always be more fun than losing. 

Billy Pierce was a great man; his team losing cost him a spot in the Hall of Fame. To listen to him talk about the White Sox throughout my childhood was always a treat; he had nothing negative to say about his time as a big leaguer or the team, but losing cost him the honor and praise he deserved. Losing has an impact on things, however small it may be in the grand scheme of life. I grew up loving the White Sox because of the respect they showed to someone like Billy; I admired their sense of family and loyalty. There are things I appreciate about the organization - their treatment of their own has always been positive - but there are also things I just hate in life and that's people who over promise and under deliver.

I value their loyalty too. I also like rooting for the underdog, which the Sox will always be. I also don't buy that the Sox don't want to win. I don't they're losing on purpose. If Hahn fails, I'm not going to be mad at him. Such is life, man. Personally, I think he's done a very good job in the rebuild thus far. I think it will stay showing up on the box score this year. 

One of the reasons I never wanted Machado is the red flags. One of those flags is that he's an asshole. I'd rather not root for assholes.

Edited by TaylorStSox
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I don't think all hope is lost; this team is lucky enough that amazingly their big trade pieces have almost all panned out. 

Kopech and Cease are TBD; but they are clearly high talent big leaguers with some longevity in their futures barring injury.

Eloy and Moncada look like stars.

Lopez looks like an, at worst, serviceable big league arm. 

Dunning is entirely TBD.

Robert is like a walking statue of what a great baseball player should look like.

This team isn't dead in the water because they have a lot of high end talent, but I'm losing face in the organization to maximize that talent. I'm still willing to give them another year, but I don't want to spend hours watching complete garbage again. Can't imagine how disappointing it would be to be in the Cubs position of possibly moving a HOF'er because they claim they can't afford him while having elite revenue numbers. Fans are being taken for a ride by ownerships league wide. Owners have never opened the books, and I can assure you it's for very good reason.

QFT.

7 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

I actually liked watching Palka because he was so bad that reached fun bad status. 

I will never enjoy horrible outfield defense. If you are a professional baseball player and you are a worst defender than I was, that's pretty embarrassing and I don't really enjoy watching that. It's the same reason I hate NL baseball, why are pitchers hitting? They aren't professional hitters.

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

Great. Win the Wild Card this year and you have some leeway. I am ok with that response as long as everyone agrees that missing the playoffs this season is totally unacceptable. That should be the absolute standard.

I'm merely saying, if the Sox miss next year and make it the 2-3 years after, it's pretty much the same as the Astros making, then missing, and then making it 3 years in a row.