Sox acquire Nomar Mazara for Steele Walker

Buehrle>Wood

I was already on board with the trade because of what he did against RHP(Sox weakness), but that video got me excited. I didn't dive into his numbers to notice how much he mashed in the 2nd half either. 

Sox have seemingly wanted him for awhile, and I wonder if they saw what Verducci talked about and planned to have him make those adjustments.

4 hours ago, tray said:

There has been a lot said here  about Castellanos not being a decent RF in terms of  his D, I wonder how Mazara will do for us in RF. Our fans tend to be pretty unforgiving  when a player makes a few errors or misplays.

Mazara is a considerably better defender than Castellanos.  Castellanos is a poor defender.  Mazara is merely average.  

Mazara has also had a right thumb injury the last 2 seasons. The question remains if that is behind him. 2018 he sprained it and missed 26 games in the half half after he was looking like he was breaking out.

Late in the 2019 season the same thumb started hurting again just a few days after the trainer had asked him if he was having any problems with it and he said didn't have problems with it all season. 3 days later it started hurting again to the point it was so swollen he couldn't even get his glove on. He did not play the rest of the season and also missed some time in Sept. with a strained oblique.

Remember when everybody was so concerned when Luis Robert wasn't showing any power because he had thumb problems then 2019 happened.

That thumb being hurt again late in the season is worrisome but hopefully the Sox did some due diligence on it and have ways to keep it from reoccurring and can get Robert like results.

52 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Mazara has also had a right thumb injury the last 2 seasons. The question remains if that is behind him. 2018 he sprained it and missed 26 games in the half half after he was looking like he was breaking out.

Late in the 2019 season the same thumb started hurting again just a few days after the trainer had asked him if he was having any problems with it and he said didn't have problems with it all season. 3 days later it started hurting again to the point it was so swollen he couldn't even get his glove on. He did not play the rest of the season and also missed some time in Sept. with a strained oblique.

Remember when everybody was so concerned when Luis Robert wasn't showing any power because he had thumb problems then 2019 happened.

That thumb being hurt again late in the season is worrisome but hopefully the Sox did some due diligence on it and have ways to keep it from reoccurring and can get Robert like results.

Random question that popped into my head after reading your post...

Who will have more home runs next year for the White Sox?  Robert or Mazara?

2 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

Mazara will be here the whole season and Robert should have to adjust some to the majors, so I will say Mazara.

1 minute ago, SoxBlanco said:

Whoever is injured less. Might be a good poll question . Or list the Sox HR leader next year 1 through 5. With Eloy, Moncada Abreu Mazara, Robert, Collins and Grandal that's a lot of potential HR's.

But to answer your question I hope it's Robert having more beating Mazara  35-34.

44 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

Mazara.  I'd be surprised if Robert will hit more than 20 homers in the bigs next season.  

8 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

You see him struggling overall?  Or just lacking in the power department during his first year?

Not really struggling, I just don't really think we'll see him hit 25+ homers.  I think 15-18 range. 

Something like .275/.315/.450 sounds about right for his rookie year.  Hope he walks a little more than he's shown in the minors.  But plugging that in CF with + defense is such a huge step in the right direction.  

I definitely think he'll put up better slash lines as he matures, but hitting mlb pitching is really hard.  

14 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

All of these big HR total predictions pretty much assumes they have the regular season ball from last year and not the playoff ball. 

I want them to go back to the regular ball because we actually have guys at 8/9 positions with legit power.  Most teams would only have a few power guys. 

14 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

I want them to go back to the regular ball because we actually have guys at 8/9 positions with legit power.  Most teams would only have a few power guys. 

The Twins might be totally fucked if they did. 

10 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

Mazara has never hit above 20 in his career & right now I'd guess he'll be in a platoon role next season.

His spray chart does look like he's going to be helped some by shorter gaps at GRF if I recall correctly though,