Sox acquire Nomar Mazara for Steele Walker

Buehrle>Wood

3 minutes ago, mqr said:

The Twins might be totally fucked if they did. 

Imagine being a Twins fan right now.  The Twins are smack in the middle of their window and are being equally as cheap as the Sox.  Can't wait for that team to crash back to earth in 2020.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

That doesn't mean he "sucks." It means he's been average. He's also 24 and his latest ~300 PA's were really fucking good.

I wasn't the person who said he sucks, but Mazara has never been an average hitter or come remotely close to being an average player. The Sox will need him to take a significant step forward if they're to get that type of value from him.

So I know that offense was up all around the league last year and he didn’t progress as Texas had hoped, but why is everyone so down on Mazara? He’s still young and he had a high ceiling as a prospect. That must have been based on something, right? I know a lot of people around here wanted Ozuna but if you look at Ozuna’s numbers his first 4 years in the league, they’re almost identical to Mazara’s first 4 years. Ozuna blossomed under Menechino. Maybe Frank sees something in him that he can tap into.

just trying to see the bright side. 

16 minutes ago, oneofthemikes said:

So I know that offense was up all around the league last year and he didn’t progress as Texas had hoped, but why is everyone so down on Mazara? He’s still young and he had a high ceiling as a prospect. That must have been based on something, right? I know a lot of people around here wanted Ozuna but if you look at Ozuna’s numbers his first 4 years in the league, they’re almost identical to Mazara’s first 4 years. Ozuna blossomed under Menechino. Maybe Frank sees something in him that he can tap into.

Well, for starters, a .775 OPS put up in 2014 Miami is a lot different than a .786 OPS put up in Texas in the year of the Happy Fun Ball.

57 minutes ago, oneofthemikes said:

Always look on the bright side of life (continue the whistle part)

50 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Well, for starters, a .775 OPS put up in 2014 Miami is a lot different than a .786 OPS put up in Texas in the year of the Happy Fun Ball.

Mazara might be about to turn the corner. He's not walking much, but he slashed .287/.320/.859 in the second half last year. The MLBN videos show the changes he made to achieve that. 

1 hour ago, oneofthemikes said:

I absolutely love the Mazara trade. The upside could be big. The downside is probably 20 homers and 80 Rbi’s  In a protected line up. Plus from what I heard about E.E being great with young players and Dominican guys Mazara has a chance to be a lot better. I’m pumped for him and the Sox. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Mazara might be about to turn the corner. He's not walking much, but he slashed .287/.320/.859 in the second half last year. The MLBN videos show the changes he made to achieve that. 

If that was true, then why trade him for Steele Walker? I like the trade a lot, but there has to be more to the story. If changes the Rangers made were working, then trading him seems dumb. 

• Love 1

3 minutes ago, G&T said:

If that was true, then why trade him for Steele Walker? I like the trade a lot, but there has to be more to the story. If changes the Rangers made were working, then trading him seems dumb. 

They didn't have anywhere to put him and they were severely left-handed. They traded him because he has the least amount of team control out of their LH OF not named Choo. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

2 minutes ago, G&T said:

You act like all teams  are smart. Why did we trade Tatis?  Bad trades happen all the time. Not saying this trade will be good or bad as only time will tell. And not to be a smart ass but Steele who? We have a ton of corner outfielders in the minors and the hope is one of them takes the next step or Mazara does. Either way it was a great gamble on upside. If not we just sign Mookie Betts and the rest is history. I can dream

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, G&T said:

Maybe Texas wanted to balance out their lineup. Maybe they were frustrated that he hadn't lived up to his billing as a top prospect. Maybe they were really enamored with the marketing potential of Walker, Texas Ranger. Who knows. 

I just hope that the Sox saw something in him that they think can they tap into and have a Carlos Quentin style breakout.

On 12/28/2019 at 3:47 PM, SoxSteve said:

I absolutely love the Mazara trade. The upside could be big. The downside is probably 20 homers and 80 Rbi’s  In a protected line up. Plus from what I heard about E.E being great with young players and Dominican guys Mazara has a chance to be a lot better. I’m pumped for him and the Sox. 

I’m actually getting more comfortable with a Mazara/Leury platoon.  

With their unique splits against RHP/LHP, respectively, it seems like the team would get very decent production out of the #8 spot in the lineup.  

7 minutes ago, Thad Bosley said:

I’m actually getting more comfortable with a Mazara/Leury platoon.  

With their unique splits against RHP/LHP, respectively, it seems like the team would get very decent production out of the #8 spot in the lineup.  

Same but I wouldn't be opposed to adding someone like Pence.

11 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

I've pushed for Pence several times on here.  He would add a nice veteran to the mix.  I have followed his career since he played for the Hooks in Corpus Christi.  A part time role is probably what the Doctor ordered for his career.

43 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Pence makes more sense (rhyme intended) as a platoon partner than Puig, yet the Sox have been linked to the latter this winter with no mention of interest in the former.  

28 minutes ago, Thad Bosley said:

Pence makes more sense (rhyme intended) as a platoon partner than Puig, yet the Sox have been linked to the latter this winter with no mention of interest in the former.  

Someone mentioned him before but Zobrist on a cheap one year deal makes some sense if he doesn’t retire and he still has something left at 38.  He could start at 2B until Madrigal is ready and then platoon with Mazara in RF and also serve as a utility guy.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

16 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Someone mentioned him before but Zobrist on a cheap one year deal makes some sense if he doesn’t retire and he still has something left at 38.  He could start at 2B until Madrigal is ready and then platoon with Mazara in RF and also serve as a utility guy.

Leury can do all of that.