Sox acquire Nomar Mazara for Steele Walker

Buehrle>Wood

PoppySox

You have very good observations.

My hunch on salary will be in the $6M range particularly for his sound play and All-Star Game selection. 

Plus an OPS of over 1.000 against left handed pitchers was excellent.

Get them man a comped box seat behind the dugout.

From an earlier post.

Hunter Pence FA Revamped his entire swing after a disastrous 2018 season after seven very successful years with Giants and two championships.  Fan favorite who works very hard at the game, in fact, so hard that he went to the Dominican Republic after the bad season and completely changed and worked on a new swing. The result he signed a $2M contract with the Texas Rangers and had a very good season hitting against LHP with an OPS of over 1.000. For the money Pence may be a bargain and veteran winning presence that could take the cake for a great value sign here to platoon with Mazara in right.  Pence actually made the All-Star team last year. Experienced winning ball player. Great leader and teammate. Excellent communicator. One of the most underrated players of the past decade. Does not fit the image of the perfect baseball player whose style of play looks a bit strange but the man gets the job done the offensively and defensively with an accurate arm and is truly committed to his craft.  An all-time San Francisco Giants legend. The kind of player and persona that might go over big with Chicago fans and in the clubhouse. Very good guy. Deep desire to always do his best and win and find silver linings even in a loss. One of the most passionate players in the game whose play and preparation are an example to his team. Might really fill the bill.

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

How is Pence’s defense though?  Would be nice to have a 4th OF that could at least provide some defensive value in the corners.

In his early years he was top drawer.  I would still think him well above average with a right fielders arm.  Would remind me of Eaton.

14 hours ago, poppysox said:

In his early years he was top drawer.  I would still think him well above average with a right fielders arm.  Would remind me of Eaton.

Pence has not been a positive contributor on the defensive side of the ball since 2009.  

20 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I won't be mad if the Sox sign Pence, but I struggle to see how he really adds much over Leury.  I'd much rather get a guy who can play 2B and the OF.  

He's a more legit platoon bat than Leury and would be a great locker room presence. Honestly, with Leury's versatility, we could be adding a bat at any position and still be fine. So it's just better if we add a bat that complements Mazara well.

15 hours ago, Minoso-Pierce-Allen-HOF said:

PoppySox

You have very good observations.

My hunch on salary will be in the $6M range particularly for his sound play and All-Star Game selection. 

Plus an OPS of over 1.000 against left handed pitchers was excellent.

Get them man a comped box seat behind the dugout.

From an earlier post.

Hunter Pence FA Revamped his entire swing after a disastrous 2018 season after seven very successful years with Giants and two championships.  Fan favorite who works very hard at the game, in fact, so hard that he went to the Dominican Republic after the bad season and completely changed and worked on a new swing. The result he signed a $2M contract with the Texas Rangers and had a very good season hitting against LHP with an OPS of over 1.000. For the money Pence may be a bargain and veteran winning presence that could take the cake for a great value sign here to platoon with Mazara in right.  Pence actually made the All-Star team last year. Experienced winning ball player. Great leader and teammate. Excellent communicator. One of the most underrated players of the past decade. Does not fit the image of the perfect baseball player whose style of play looks a bit strange but the man gets the job done the offensively and defensively with an accurate arm and is truly committed to his craft.  An all-time San Francisco Giants legend. The kind of player and persona that might go over big with Chicago fans and in the clubhouse. Very good guy. Deep desire to always do his best and win and find silver linings even in a loss. One of the most passionate players in the game whose play and preparation are an example to his team. Might really fill the bill.

J feel like this is my post after writing almost the same thing 2 weeks ago when I hardly saw anyone mention Pence as an option. Concerns about his fielding might be legit though because he really was almost exclusively a DH with the Rangers. I'd like to think I am responsible for the increase in Pence posts.

Perhaps I am reading this wrong but is wsd implying we are still interested in Joc Pederson?

https://mobile.twitter.com/barstoolWSD/status/1212823039781552128?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^tweet

Wouldn't this be duplicative with Mazara? Pederson is certainly much better in RF and has more proven power. Unless against RHP, one guy would be RF and the other would DH...but it would be a waste to have EE only as a DH against LHP and nothing more. Just doesn't make sense at this point as much as I wanted to get him earlier.

Maybe I'm reading it wrong but Dave is going out of his way to read something into a simple statement and he doesn't do that usually for no reason. 

3 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Perhaps I am reading this wrong but is wsd implying we are still interested in Joc Pederson?

https://mobile.twitter.com/barstoolWSD/status/1212823039781552128?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^tweet

Wouldn't this be duplicative with Mazara? Pederson is certainly much better in RF and has more proven power. Unless against RHP, one guy would be RF and the other would DH...but it would be a waste to have EE only as a DH against LHP and nothing more. Just doesn't make sense at this point as much as I wanted to get him earlier.

Maybe I'm reading it wrong but Dave is going out of his way to read something into a simple statement and he doesn't do that usually for no reason. 

Pederson doesn't make any sense now with Mazara, unless they trade Mazara for RP.  Although I fantasize about trading Mazara on a nightly basis, that is probably close to a 0% chance. 

On 1/2/2020 at 12:38 PM, BackDoorBreach said:

But therein lies the problem.  They 100% aren't giving Mookie Betts 380 million dollars.

So now you have Joc Pederson who is another platoon bat and Springer who is going to cost 100 million dollars in his 30's and I'm gambling will get extended by the Astros anyways.

Castellanos is going to get 16-18 over 4 years, that is in no way crushing for this team and would be easily movable if he maintains 2.5-3 WAR which every indication and metric seems to support.  

Low probability for Castellanos at this point but, if it were me, I'd have signed him to 4 years in a heartbeat, even after Mazara signed but in lieu of EE. . He is a budding superstar who is just hitting his prime and whoever gets him will be very happy.

• 7 months later...
On 12/10/2019 at 11:21 PM, Chicago White Sox said:

What could possibly be next?  We just traded a top 10 prospect for a guy with <2 career fWAR over four seasons.  I can’t even imagine what a good player will actually cost us via trade.  I’m literally speechless at how bad this move is.  What the fuck is the money going to be spent on at this point?

Bump.  Prove me wrong Mazara, prove me wrong!!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Bump.  Prove me wrong Mazara, prove me wrong!!

Mazara having covid and missing all of camp clearly has a negative impact. I'm not sure what you expect. It's also a very small sample size. I mean Sox fans love Joc Pedetson, and look at his season. He's been awful, should we judge him based on that?

And Steele Walker probably will never even make MLB. Getting anything for him is a win. Drafting him over Alek Thomas was a really bad decision.

This board called both Anderson and Moncada busts a couple years ago, maybe let things play out first

• Like 4

2 hours ago, CeaseAndExist said:

Mazara having covid and missing all of camp clearly has a negative impact. I'm not sure what you expect. It's also a very small sample size. I mean Sox fans love Joc Pedetson, and look at his season. He's been awful, should we judge him based on that?

And Steele Walker probably will never even make MLB. Getting anything for him is a win. Drafting him over Alek Thomas was a really bad decision.

This board called both Anderson and Moncada busts a couple years ago, maybe let things play out first

I didn’t expect much based on my post and he’s failed to live up to those tiny expectations.  I agree COVID may be having something to with the slow start, but that doesn’t change the fact the trade deadline is in 11 days and that Nomar may not be the answer this season.  I hope he proves me wrong, but at some point soon we may have to make a tough decision with him.

What about Mazara and some Class A stiff to the Royals for Alex Gordon. We could use the defense for the rest of this season, don't need his bat and they would love to have Mazara I bet. We could put Gordon in LF and Eloy in RF or vice versa. 

If we keep Mazara I have no problem with that. He seems OK.

2 minutes ago, greg775 said:

What about Mazara and some Class A stiff to the Royals for Alex Gordon. We could use the defense for the rest of this season, don't need his bat and they would love to have Mazara I bet. We could put Gordon in LF and Eloy in RF or vice versa. 

If we keep Mazara I have no problem with that. He seems OK.

Why trade for Gordon when Adam Engel is already on the team? Gordon can't hit anymore. 

On 12/10/2019 at 9:31 PM, Eminor3rd said:

And they’re less likely to be contending by playing Mazara in the meantime.

The issue is way more about not doing better at getting a RF than it is about giving up Steele Walker. 

Bingo.  And it's playing out.  Too bad the little sparkplug but baseball moron leury got hurt.  You nailed it the problem was always the opportunity cost.

Oh and our manager doesn't understand a natural platoon.

• Like 1