Sox acquire Nomar Mazara for Steele Walker

Buehrle>Wood

1 minute ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Walker is gone and I don’t miss him all that much.  Once again, what does Mazara do for this team that is trying to now compete during their window as opposed to the potentially better options still very much available?

I would rather have Mazara and his contract than Castellanos. Mazara is LH, cheap and still has a lot of upside. Castellanos is older, not very good and about to be fairly expensive. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

This makes a better team with balance in the lineup. Walker is 24 and has done nothing to this point with 4th OF potential. The guy we got back is 24 and has already hit around 80hr's in the big leagues and still has unlimited potential according to most big league guys. Worst case scenario he doesn't pan out and you go get someone next off season. This is a low risk high reward move.

I said it yesterday, for rebuilds to work you have to take chances on guys and some of them have to pan out.

Cubs are an example with their moves for Rizzo, Arrieta, etc. ....

Every rebuild must have surprises. 

• Like 1

Just now, TaylorStSox said:

I would rather have Mazara and his contract than Castellanos. Mazara is LH, cheap and still has a lot of upside. Castellanos is older, not very good and about to be fairly expensive. 

So going for bad and cheap players and hoping for their upside to materialize in two seasons is the better plan than paying more money for established and more productive players?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I don't like trading Steele Walker for him, although I do agree with many others that it's more likely than not we never hear about Walker again. That being said, if the Sox talent evaluators are convinced Mazara is going to be a productive player, it's hard to blame them going out and getting him.

14 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Yeah, hes not a horrible defender no matter how many times people argue otherwise. 

Trade is fine assuming they're not done. I really dont understand why people think once you're in the big leagues you cant get better but minor leaguers will get much better. I've never understood that premise. The kid being in the big leagues at 20 shouldnt be held against him. Not in love with the move if hes all their doing. Dont mind the move if they do more. 

Fans always love their prospects more than they should. As someone else said, people are all high on basebe and Walker developing and they're like 1 year younger than mazara.

Yes, we shouldn’t have loved Escobar, Semien, Tatis, Jr., Montas, Narvaez, etc.  We don’t need any more Top 100 MLB players at this point.

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Why is this a Mazara vs Walker story?  We could have traded Steele for other things.  There is nothing mutually exclusive about these two players.

Exactly.  It’s about Mazara versus the rest of the remaining outfield options, not versus Walker.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

At this point, I'm down with trading Vaughn for a Pitcher. If it takes Vaughn/Dunning for Snell, do it. Nothing better is going to come up over the next two seasons. There's not a lot of hope unless Moncada/Giolito sign extensions. 

That’s not getting you Snell.  More like Cease, Vaughn, & Walker (oops he ain’t here no more).

1 minute ago, Moan4Yoan said:

So going for bad and cheap players and hoping for their upside to materialize in two seasons is the better plan than paying more money for established and more productive players?

Which established players are you referring too? Castellanos? Ozuna?

4 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

I agree with everything except this. His bat is pretty damn good. 

Eh, Sox gonna Sox.  They liked Mazara for years and think they can fix him.  Hahn/Kenny got their man.  I don’t share their faith.  If the Yankees got him, they would stick him between Voit and Urshela and he’d hit 50 homers.  With us, it’s another guy with some power who will never walk. I swear, if it were illegal to throw sliders in the dirt, the Sox would win 110 games.

• Love 1

47 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

I'm not mad they traded Walker, I could give a shit about any of the OF prospects we have because THEY DON'T HAVE A REALISTIC PATH TO THE WHITE SOX ANYWAYS.

What I am furious about, is they have a 70 million dollar payroll with numerous OF FA's capable of producing big numbers, and instead of just spending money, they used one of the few trade chips we have for a guy that fucking sucks.  We still don't have any pitching.  You don't think Walker would have had some value to aquire a SP?  This is the same shit they do all the time and it almost never works.  The window opens next year, and our RF is replacement level, with a 70 million dollar payroll.

The worst part is passing on a guy like Castellanos over defensive concerns only to trade for an OF with poor defense and a questionable bat.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

That’s not getting you Snell.  More like Cease, Vaughn, & Walker (oops he ain’t here no more).

That's arguably a better package than the one the Sox received for Sale. At the time, Moncada was #2, and Kopech was #75

And Snell is going to cost 2 top 25 prospects? You're high. 

Cease, Vaughn and Basabe for Snell would be highway robbery by the Rays. 

You can get one of Cease or Vaughn, but not both. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

2 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

Eh, Sox gonna Sox.  They liked Mazara for years and think they can fix him.  Hahn/Kenny got their man.  I don’t share their faith.  If the Yankees got him, they would stick him between Voit and Urshela and he’d hit 50 homers.  With us, it’s another guy with some power who will never walk. I swear, if it were illegal to throw sliders in the dirt, the Sox would win 110 games.

Haha, this is epic...  and true.

41 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

He also might prove to be shitty which is what he's been for 4 years.  You make these kind of moves last year or the year before, not when all your top talent is up.

100% agree.  I would have loved this type of move a year ago when we had playing time to give.  Now is not the time to try out projects.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

You cannot possibly say the White Sox will "Still spend nothing when the rebuild is ending" while looking at this trade. This is literally looking at options they could spend on, better players, who would cost more money, and taking a worse player because he costs less.

I don't really agree with this.

We'll have to see what Castellanos and ozuna sign for first. Everyone's citing WAR while crying about not spending 75 million on Castellanos lol. Castellanos doesnt really grade much better than mazara - certainly not through his age 24 season.

• Like 1

Just now, 2Deep said:

The flip side to this is the money they saved by not signing an ozuna.... .let's see where that goes before we jump to conclusions.  The off season is not over. 

Bumgarner and Ryu will end up elsewhere (see LAA/LAD or Tex)...Keuchel and 2 day old Krispy Kreme’s are the only options unless we want to empty out the remainder of the farm system for Blake Snell.

40 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

We just traded a 23 year old who will probably never be a top 100 prospect for a 24 year who was once a top 15 prospect and Soxtalk is irate. Never change guys. 

Also, Nick Castellanos is a 10 WAR player... In almost 3700 PA's. Haha. 

Awesome he’s young!!!  Let’s ignore the fact he’s never been good and only has two years of control left because of his awesome prospect pedigree four years ago!!  I definitely feel much better about our chances to compete next year!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The worst part is passing on a guy like Castellanos over defensive concerns only to trade for an OF with poor defense and a questionable bat.

Oh my. Come on man. Castellanos is one of the worst defensive outfielders in recent history. Mazara is an average to slightly below average fielder. These two are nothing alike.

• Like 1