Sox acquire Nomar Mazara for Steele Walker

Buehrle>Wood

1 hour ago, soxfan49 said:

The same people who hate this trade will probably hate when they trade for Price too, despite clamoring for a SP, in particular Price.

I think I'd rather have Mazara for Walker than Price for Walker.

I'll be honest I won't be a fan of it. I follow the Red Sox a lot and Price is a whiney unlikable player. 

Edited by JuliusO1274

Just now, JuliusO1274 said:

I'll be honest I won't be a fan of it. I follow the Red Sox a lot and Price whiney unlikable player. 

That's weird, because he was beloved in Tampa. Boston is tough on guys who get paid and have set backs. 

Carl Crawford was about as good of a person as existed in MLB by all accounts; if you listened to the Boston media he was a lazy hack who didn't care about his performance. 

I wouldn't judge any player based on media portrayal in a major market.

1 minute ago, Chisoxmb35 said:

Do you not agree then, that the relationship working out if the record were better? It all points to the roster decisions that got them into said situation in the first place. The was the the issue, but you know.. he isn't going to fire himself. 

No. The two were increasingly divergent in the way they wanted to do things. Anything short of winning a world series and theo wouldn't have resigned him. At least that's the impression I got.

3 minutes ago, JuliusO1274 said:

I'll be honest I won't be a fan of it. I follow the Red Sox a lot and Price is whiney unlikable player. 

I will also go on record and say i want to have nothing to do with David price playing for the White Sox.  a 34 year old pitcher whos best days are behind him does not fit what we are trying to accomplish.  

Just now, Orlando said:

Rick and Ricky with different messages.

I don't think so. I think Rick means "don't be mad because more moves are coming. We hope our other moves means Mazara being in right won't hinder our competitiveness." I think Hahn wants to play Mazara in right most of the time and has told Ricky this. 

Just now, Orlando said:

Rick and Ricky with different messages.

A manager has to answer to his players every single day.

Ricky has never worked with Mazara. I think Ricky should shut up and not give a vote of confidence to a guy without knowing shit... but I also don't expect Ricky to say that he can't hit lefties, never will be able to, and will be platooned for that reason.

Your manager should have your back, and he should absolutely go to bat for you with management. At the end of the day, if it's May and he looks abysmal vs lefties, you make a change to help the player. 

Just now, SonofaRoache said:

I don't think so. I think Rick means "don't be mad because more moves are coming. We hope our other moves means Mazara being in right won't hinder our competitiveness." I think Hahn wants to play Mazara in right most of the time and has told Ricky this. 

Well yes, they didn't trade for Mazara to make him their 4th outfielder. 

Just now, SonofaRoache said:

Rick Hahn literally said not to judge this move until "they are finished addressing RF"

Just now, Orlando said:

Ricky called Mazara the primary RF and even talked about him getting at bats VS lefties. Hahn comes on and hints that they may not be set at RF.

I don’t think that’s what Hahn meant at all with regards to Mazara.  My opinion was he meant by going the less expensive avenue in RF would help upgrade other spots.

One thing I think about with regard to whether Mazara's past is going to predict his futureis this: If he was signed out of the DR at age 18 and had just worked his way up to the majors last season and put up those numbers, people would be pretty intrigued by what he might do at age 25 in MLB. But because his prior experience was actually in MLB, people look at him as unlikely to progress — and maybe he won't. I know the lack of long-term team control limits his full upside in terms of contract value, but in terms of deciding how he will play for the next 2 years, I think it's worthwhile to cut him a little slack compared to most other players who haven't broken out in 4 years of MLB experience.

Ozuna would have cost at least $10 million more per year than Mazara as well (probably $12-13 million).   As long as this savings into put into pitching help, I have no problem with this move.   Pitching is the biggest need and we need to secure one of the big 3 starters remaining (Keuchel, Bumgarner, or Ryu), another backend starter, and some bullpen help.   Do that and I'm fine with this move.   Don't address the pitching staff and no right fielder was going to make a difference for us anyways.