Sox acquire Nomar Mazara for Steele Walker

Buehrle>Wood

The one thing to keep in mind is that the Twins are in equally as tough of a spot as the Sox SP-wise - they still need at least 2 SP - and the Indians are looking to trade their two best players in Lindor and Kluber.  This division is wide TF open.  

I think the Sox would be just as well or better positioned to add Ryu and Keuchel than the Twins.  I doubt MadBum leaves California with LAA's pitching needs - I personally don't want him very much, but was hoping Twins would overpay for him.  

Edited by ChiSox59

6 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

The one thing to keep in mind is that the Twins are in equally as tough of a spot as the Sox SP-wise - they still need at least 2 SP - and the Indians are looking to trade their two best players in Lindor and Kluber.  This division is wide TF open.  

I think the Sox would be just as well or better positioned to add Ryu and Keuchel than the Twins.  I doubt MadBum leaves California with LAA's pitching needs - I personally don't want him very much, but was hoping Twins would overpay for him.  

Yeah so I think I view Keuchel/Miley as one of the better ways out.

18 minutes ago, bmags said:

26 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Agree on both of these.  I like Miley a lot....obviously not as a 1/2 type of guy, but a good complement to what we have.  What we need to find is our Charlie Morton.  Would would have thought when the Rays signed him he would be so good?

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Well maybe they should shut the f**k up then because they have implied two off seasons in a row that they were going to spend big.

Sox just saved hundreds of millions by spending and investing nothing into the mlb team for years. Would be nice for this organization to pay back the fans loyalty and patience for once.

Except we are possibly the worst market per capita in MLB along with a $120M TV deal. Jerry gave up on the fans a long time ago. Granted with their equity they could leverage almost any deal they wanted. 

Just now, ScooterMcGee said:

Honestly, with all the injuries to our prospects, I don't know how people didn't expect this thing to really take off until 2021, 2022 at the very latest. I always expected the 2020 and 2021 offseasons to be the ones where we really spend money. We know a lot more what we have today than what we did last offseason, but we will know a hell of a lot more at the end of 2020 what we have with our core guys. 

We could end up with two years to contend before our two studs get their money elsewhere. I think that dictates they do some deadline deals next summer. Yet think we used to own three of last year's top ss. We could really use a Rodon comeback but who knows. 

12 hours ago, bmags said:

I don't like Bumgarner, Ryu and Keuchel but if I had to pick combos at this point, in order of preference: 

Tier B pitchers:

1. Bumgarner 

2. Keuchel 

3. Ryu

Tier C pitchers:

1. Wood

2. Miley

3. Teheran/Walker 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, BFirebird said:

Agree on both of these.  I like Miley a lot....obviously not as a 1/2 type of guy, but a good complement to what we have.  What we need to find is our Charlie Morton.  Would would have thought when the Rays signed him he would be so good?

Morton was already dominating for the Astros before he went to Tampa. HOUSTON fixed him first. 

6 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

I don't like Bumgarner, Ryu and Keuchel but if I had to pick combos at this point, in order of preference: 

Tier B pitchers:

1. Bumgarner 

2. Keuchel 

3. Ryu

Tier C pitchers:

1. Wood

2. Miley

3. Teheran/Walker 

I think Ryu is the best of the bunch. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Steve9347 said:

I think Ryu is the best of the bunch. 

I agree but I also think he's the most likely to be hurt for large portions of his next contract and a moderately high risk to be permanently lost. 

But then, if we only have 1 or 2 chances total before the young guys get so expensive the white sox hit their payroll ceiling, a high risk move is better than nothing.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I agree but I also think he's the most likely to be hurt for large portions of his next contract and a moderately high risk to be permanently lost. 

But then, if we only have 1 or 2 chances total before the young guys get so expensive the white sox hit their payroll ceiling, a high risk move is better than nothing.

If just a $60-70 million signing could entirely derail the rebuild, why did we even bother to rebuild in the first place?

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

If just a $60-70 million signing could entirely derail the rebuild, why did we even bother to rebuild in the first place?

This team was going to be a sub-70 win team in 2017-2019 anyway after they stripped the entire thing bare to make their rosters in 2015 and 2016. Might as well have the payroll low in the process.

On 12/11/2019 at 2:20 PM, DirtySox said:

I will say this, we pretty much have to go out and sign Encarnacion.  Add him to the middle of the lineup and that makes this Mazara move easier to digest:

1. Robert, CF
  2. Moncada, 3B#
  3. Abreu, 1B
  4. Jimenez, LF
  5. Grandal, C#
  6. Encarnacion, DH
  7. Anderson, SS
  8. Mazara, RF*
  9. Madrigal, 2B

Might as well move McCann or Collins because there won’t be enough playing time for both of them though.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I will say this, we pretty much have to go out and sign Encarnacion.  Add him to the middle of the lineup and that makes this Mazara move easier to digest:

1. Robert, CF
  2. Moncada, 3B#
  3. Abreu, 1B
  4. Jimenez, LF
  5. Grandal, C#
  6. Encarnacion, DH
  7. Anderson, SS
  8. Mazara, RF*
  9. Madrigal, 2B

Might as well move McCann or Collins because there won’t be enough playing time for both of them though.

That's a damn good lineup. I still refuse to judge the off-season or get upset until I see what we add in the pitching department.

3 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Ryu is the best actual pitcher of the three, but also the least reliable. The lack of reliability is not what the Sox need, and pushes him to the bottom of the list. 

Ryu is going to make 25 starts a season at best. 

If the Sox sign Ryu and he can't pitch, it could sink the rebuild. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

31 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Ryu is the best actual pitcher of the three, but also the least reliable. The lack of reliability is not what the Sox need, and pushes him to the bottom of the list. 

Ryu is going to make 25 starts a season at best. 

If the Sox sign Ryu and he can't pitch, it could sink the rebuild. 

"If the Sox sign Ryu and he can't pitch, it sinks the rebuild" might be the worst take I've ever heard.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

1. Robert, CF
  2. Moncada, 3B#
  3. Abreu, 1B
  4. Jimenez, LF
  5. Grandal, C#
  6. Encarnacion, DH
  7. Anderson, SS
  8. Mazara, RF*
  9. Madrigal, 2B

So when McCann catches against LHP, which lefty masher is sitting on bench - Jose, Grandal or EE?   Having to sit one of those guys against LHP is so silly - I don't think EE is a fit.  

teal: unless the Sox want to put EE at 3B against LHP, and Moncada in RF.  

Edited by ChiSox59

5 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

So when McCann catches against LHP, which lefty masher is sitting on bench - Jose, Grandal or EE?   Having to sit one of those guys against LHP is so silly - I don't think EE is a fit.  

teal: unless the Sox want to put EE at 3B against LHP, and Moncada in RF.  

Doesn't have to be a straight platoon behind the plate. But I agree that he isn't really a fit.