Jump to content
Buehrle>Wood

Sox acquire Nomar Mazara for Steele Walker

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, mqr said:

The Twins might be totally fucked if they did. 

Imagine being a Twins fan right now.  The Twins are smack in the middle of their window and are being equally as cheap as the Sox.  Can't wait for that team to crash back to earth in 2020.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, maxjusttyped said:

He's been an above average hitter wRC+ or OPS+ exactly 0 times in his career.

That doesn't mean he "sucks." It means he's been average. He's also 24 and his latest ~300 PA's were really fucking good.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

That doesn't mean he "sucks." It means he's been average. He's also 24 and his latest ~300 PA's were really fucking good.

I wasn't the person who said he sucks, but Mazara has never been an average hitter or come remotely close to being an average player. The Sox will need him to take a significant step forward if they're to get that type of value from him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

That doesn't mean he "sucks." It means he's been average. He's also 24 and his latest ~300 PA's were really fucking good.

He has a lot more PA's that says he's not.  It's not like Texas was sapping his power.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, cjgalloway said:

My wild prediction... 

Mazara is second on the team in home runs with 29 (behind Eloy with 34)

I think I'll take the over on Eloy.  He's going to be a monster.  The whole lineup offers protection for each other.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/19/2019 at 8:48 PM, poppysox said:

I think I'll take the over on Eloy.  He's going to be a monster.  The whole lineup offers protection for each other.

Have you seen him field? I take the over IF he DHs. He is gonna have 2-3 DL stints.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I know that offense was up all around the league last year and he didn’t progress as Texas had hoped, but why is everyone so down on Mazara? He’s still young and he had a high ceiling as a prospect. That must have been based on something, right? I know a lot of people around here wanted Ozuna but if you look at Ozuna’s numbers his first 4 years in the league, they’re almost identical to Mazara’s first 4 years. Ozuna blossomed under Menechino. Maybe Frank sees something in him that he can tap into.

just trying to see the bright side. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, oneofthemikes said:

So I know that offense was up all around the league last year and he didn’t progress as Texas had hoped, but why is everyone so down on Mazara? He’s still young and he had a high ceiling as a prospect. That must have been based on something, right? I know a lot of people around here wanted Ozuna but if you look at Ozuna’s numbers his first 4 years in the league, they’re almost identical to Mazara’s first 4 years. Ozuna blossomed under Menechino. Maybe Frank sees something in him that he can tap into.

just trying to see the bright side. 

Well, for starters, a .775 OPS put up in 2014 Miami is a lot different than a .786 OPS put up in Texas in the year of the Happy Fun Ball.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, oneofthemikes said:

So I know that offense was up all around the league last year and he didn’t progress as Texas had hoped, but why is everyone so down on Mazara? He’s still young and he had a high ceiling as a prospect. That must have been based on something, right? I know a lot of people around here wanted Ozuna but if you look at Ozuna’s numbers his first 4 years in the league, they’re almost identical to Mazara’s first 4 years. Ozuna blossomed under Menechino. Maybe Frank sees something in him that he can tap into.

just trying to see the bright side. 

Always look on the bright side of life (continue the whistle part)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Well, for starters, a .775 OPS put up in 2014 Miami is a lot different than a .786 OPS put up in Texas in the year of the Happy Fun Ball.

Mazara might be about to turn the corner. He's not walking much, but he slashed .287/.320/.859 in the second half last year. The MLBN videos show the changes he made to achieve that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, oneofthemikes said:

So I know that offense was up all around the league last year and he didn’t progress as Texas had hoped, but why is everyone so down on Mazara? He’s still young and he had a high ceiling as a prospect. That must have been based on something, right? I know a lot of people around here wanted Ozuna but if you look at Ozuna’s numbers his first 4 years in the league, they’re almost identical to Mazara’s first 4 years. Ozuna blossomed under Menechino. Maybe Frank sees something in him that he can tap into.

just trying to see the bright side. 

I absolutely love the Mazara trade. The upside could be big. The downside is probably 20 homers and 80 Rbi’s  In a protected line up. Plus from what I heard about E.E being great with young players and Dominican guys Mazara has a chance to be a lot better. I’m pumped for him and the Sox. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Mazara might be about to turn the corner. He's not walking much, but he slashed .287/.320/.859 in the second half last year. The MLBN videos show the changes he made to achieve that. 

If that was true, then why trade him for Steele Walker? I like the trade a lot, but there has to be more to the story. If changes the Rangers made were working, then trading him seems dumb. 

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, G&T said:

If that was true, then why trade him for Steele Walker? I like the trade a lot, but there has to be more to the story. If changes the Rangers made were working, then trading him seems dumb. 

They didn't have anywhere to put him and they were severely left-handed. They traded him because he has the least amount of team control out of their LH OF not named Choo. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, G&T said:

If that was true, then why trade him for Steele Walker? I like the trade a lot, but there has to be more to the story. If changes the Rangers made were working, then trading him seems dumb. 

You act like all teams  are smart. Why did we trade Tatis?  Bad trades happen all the time. Not saying this trade will be good or bad as only time will tell. And not to be a smart ass but Steele who? We have a ton of corner outfielders in the minors and the hope is one of them takes the next step or Mazara does. Either way it was a great gamble on upside. If not we just sign Mookie Betts and the rest is history. I can dream

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, G&T said:

If that was true, then why trade him for Steele Walker? I like the trade a lot, but there has to be more to the story. If changes the Rangers made were working, then trading him seems dumb. 

Maybe Texas wanted to balance out their lineup. Maybe they were frustrated that he hadn't lived up to his billing as a top prospect. Maybe they were really enamored with the marketing potential of Walker, Texas Ranger. Who knows. 

I just hope that the Sox saw something in him that they think can they tap into and have a Carlos Quentin style breakout.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/28/2019 at 3:47 PM, SoxSteve said:

I absolutely love the Mazara trade. The upside could be big. The downside is probably 20 homers and 80 Rbi’s  In a protected line up. Plus from what I heard about E.E being great with young players and Dominican guys Mazara has a chance to be a lot better. I’m pumped for him and the Sox. 

I’m actually getting more comfortable with a Mazara/Leury platoon.  
 

With their unique splits against RHP/LHP, respectively, it seems like the team would get very decent production out of the #8 spot in the lineup.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Thad Bosley said:

I’m actually getting more comfortable with a Mazara/Leury platoon.  
 

With their unique splits against RHP/LHP, respectively, it seems like the team would get very decent production out of the #8 spot in the lineup.  

Same but I wouldn't be opposed to adding someone like Pence.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Same but I wouldn't be opposed to adding someone like Pence.

I've pushed for Pence several times on here.  He would add a nice veteran to the mix.  I have followed his career since he played for the Hooks in Corpus Christi.  A part time role is probably what the Doctor ordered for his career.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Same but I wouldn't be opposed to adding someone like Pence.

Pence makes more sense (rhyme intended) as a platoon partner than Puig, yet the Sox have been linked to the latter this winter with no mention of interest in the former.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Thad Bosley said:

Pence makes more sense (rhyme intended) as a platoon partner than Puig, yet the Sox have been linked to the latter this winter with no mention of interest in the former.  

Someone mentioned him before but Zobrist on a cheap one year deal makes some sense if he doesn’t retire and he still has something left at 38.  He could start at 2B until Madrigal is ready and then platoon with Mazara in RF and also serve as a utility guy.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Someone mentioned him before but Zobrist on a cheap one year deal makes some sense if he doesn’t retire and he still has something left at 38.  He could start at 2B until Madrigal is ready and then platoon with Mazara in RF and also serve as a utility guy.

Leury can do all of that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×