Sox considering a trade, per Chuck.

Orlando

5 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Pretty minimal interest in Price unless Red Sox are eating half the deal.  Whole Benintendi role in that deal seems far less likely now with Mazara around.  

Yea half is about right . That will free up $16M AAV for Bosox for 3 years. Toss us FA in 2021 to be Brandon Workman and it saves then another $3.4 this year. Give them very little back and tell them get your salary relief from someone else if you can because all the FA's are moving fast and they have no luxury tax space to work with.

The longer Boston waits the worse it gets for them.

6 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Yea half is about right . That will free up $16M AAV for Bosox for 3 years. Toss us FA in 2021 to be Brandon Workman and it saves then another $3.4 this year. Give them very little back and tell them get your salary relief from someone else if you can because all the FA's are moving fast and they have no luxury tax space to work with.

The longer Boston waits the worse it gets for them.

Fuck that. Take on every dollar of Price's contract. 3 yrs/$96M. The Sox don't seem hot to spend the money anyway, so the more money the White Sox take on, the better the return. Figure out a way to get Benintendi, or JDM, or if they don't want to subtract from their major league roster, take Noah Song, Gilberto Jimenez, one of their better prospects.

Edited by ChiliIrishHammock24

1 hour ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Fuck that. Take on every dollar of Price's contract. 3 yrs/$96M. The Sox don't seem hot to spend the money anyway, so the more money the White Sox take on, the better the return. Figure out a way to get Benintendi, or JDM, or if they don't want to subtract from their major league roster, take Noah Song, Gilberto Jimenez, one of their better prospects.

Have you seen how Brandon Workman pitched last year ? Look, the Red Sox have other teams after Price. They certainly don't want to give up Benintendi and the Sox certainly don't want to take all of that contract, The Sox need pitching more than they need Benintendi or yet another DH. How many DH's do we need ? Maybe taking all of that contract gets them to do it more than another offer but really 34 yr old Price for 96$M ? Might as well just pay Bumgarner then.

I'm not real keen at helping yet another team get salary relief because they gave out stupid contracts by taking on their stupid contract thus making it our stupider contract because now the guy is old and made of glass . Let Artie Moreno be the idiot bailing out the Red Sox. He doesn't seem to mind ruining his team with stupid contracts.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Look, the Red Sox have other teams after Price. They certainly don't want to give up Benintendi and the Sox certainly don't want to take all of that contract, The Sox need pitching more than they need Benintendi or yet another DH. How many DH's do we need ? Maybe taking all of that contract gets them to do it more than another offer but really 34 yr old Price for 96$M ? Might as well just pay Bumgarner then.

Are we OK then with Mazara as a full time RF against both LH and RH pitching?  I am kind of looking at Mazara as a platoon OF and a LH DH.

I would much rather have Benintendi as our RF than Mazara.  Mazara could platoon with Eloy in LF and at DH and maybe with Abreu if he could play 1B.

As far as the 96 Million for three years of Price, that sounded like a lot of money... last week.   However, after seeing what Cole, Stras and Rendon signed for  (not that Price is on their level) , that 96 Mil. looks almost like a bargain, especially when we get Benintendi with 3 years of control.  Unless Chaim wants Madrigal or Vaughn or one of our roster players, I think Hahn might find a possible trade  for Price/A Ben "intriguing".

Edited by tray

http://www.startribune.com/twins-making-a-pitch-for-ex-mvp-josh-donaldson/566117231/
Twins targeting top three pitchers + Porcello, Donaldson, Betances and dangling Eddie Rosario for a starting pitcher

Rest of the AL Central?  Crickets.

Guess Indians’ fans have to be pissed they’re looking to deal Lindor, Kluber, etc.  Looks like they have a package  in mind to send Kluber to the Angels, one of the players would replace Kipnis.  Tribe fans say the return is way too depressed...wait until ASB at least.

https://www.cleveland.com/tribe/2019/12/la-angels-talking-to-cleveland-indians-about-former-cy-young-winner-corey-kluber.html

http://www.startribune.com/biggest-free-agent-signings-again-go-to-big-markets-commissioner-says-small-markets-can-still-compete/566113821/

Small/mid-market teams shut out of big free agent signings.  Manfred suggests A’s, Rays and Twins all have figured out how to compete with limited resources.

Edited by caulfield12

3 hours ago, tray said:

Are we OK then with Mazara as a full time RF against both LH and RH pitching?  I am kind of looking at Mazara as a platoon OF and a LH DH.

I would much rather have Benintendi as our RF than Mazara.  Mazara could platoon with Eloy in LF and at DH and maybe with Abreu if he could play 1B.

As far as the 96 Million for three years of Price, that sounded like a lot of money... last week.   However, after seeing what Cole, Stras and Rendon signed for  (not that Price is on their level) , that 96 Mil. looks almost like a bargain, especially when we get Benintendi with 3 years of control.  Unless Chaim wants Madrigal or Vaughn or one of our roster players, I think Hahn might find a possible trade  for Price/A Ben "intriguing".

It wouldn't have to be the last move the Sox make. I think too much emphasis is going to the lineup now.  We need a 2 starters and a RH handed reliever. Workman is one of the best or was last year and If Benintendi goes with Price in a deal I'd bes shocked unless a team is throwing in a decent prospect player also.

You have seen how big contracts have handicapped the Red Sox and the Cubs at the top of the luxury tax level, The Sox will never operate up at that level so every contract close to $100M better be one that we are sure the talent and health is there. Not sure of any of that with Price.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
Workman not Morrow

5 hours ago, tray said:

This thread dead with all the recent new ones but did you see that the Red Sox asked for both Madrigal and Vaughn according to Peter Gammons ? I told you Boston wouldn't want to part with Beni without a decent prospect and they wanted 2 of them !

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

This thread dead with all the recent new ones but did you see that the Red Sox asked for both Madrigal and Vaughn according to Peter Gammons ? I told you Boston wouldn't want to part with Beni without a decent prospect and they wanted 2 of them !

That makes no sense unless other teams are involved. Boston brought up a young 2nd baseman last year who played well and they still have Pedroia  coming off surgery under contract. Their top 2 positional prospects are a AAA and A 1B.  They are going to want MLB ready pitching especially if Price goes and Porcell signs elsewhere. If we are involved and no 3rd party,  I got to think Cease is one of their targets. 

1 minute ago, SCCWS said:

That makes no sense unless other teams are involved. Boston brought up a young 2nd baseman last year who played well and they still have Pedroia  coming off surgery under contract. Their top 2 positional prospects are a AAA and A 1B.  They are going to want MLB ready pitching especially if Price goes and Porcell signs elsewhere. If we are involved and no 3rd party,  I got to think Cease is one of their targets. 

I'm just reporting what Gammons said whether it makes sense or not.

On 12/12/2019 at 4:52 AM, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Have you seen how Brandon Workman pitched last year ? Look, the Red Sox have other teams after Price. They certainly don't want to give up Benintendi and the Sox certainly don't want to take all of that contract, The Sox need pitching more than they need Benintendi or yet another DH. How many DH's do we need ? Maybe taking all of that contract gets them to do it more than another offer but really 34 yr old Price for 96$M ? Might as well just pay Bumgarner then.

I'm not real keen at helping yet another team get salary relief because they gave out stupid contracts by taking on their stupid contract thus making it our stupider contract because now the guy is old and made of glass . Let Artie Moreno be the idiot bailing out the Red Sox. He doesn't seem to mind ruining his team with stupid contracts.

Good Points.