Lindblom to Brewcrew

ChiSox59

2 hours ago, soxfan2014 said:

.844 OPS against righties. Go find a strong bench bat for him to platoon with (no Engel please).

I see very little reason to believe that Leury and Engel won't be the platoon mates for Mazara.  More Leury than Engel, IMO.  They aren't spending $80-90M to platoon Ozuna or Castellanos with Mazara. 

Dickerson bats from the same side as Mazara.  The best options for Mazara's platoon mates on the FA market that could be possible had on a 1 year deal are legitimately like Ben Zobrist, Hunter Pence and Avi.  Giant meh from me.  

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I see very little reason to believe that Leury and Engel won't be the platoon mates for Mazara.  More Leury than Engel, IMO.  They aren't spending $80-90M to platoon Ozuna or Castellanos with Mazara. 

Dickerson bats from the same side as Mazara.  The best options for Mazara's platoon mates on the FA market that could be possible had on a 1 year deal are legitimately like Ben Zobrist, Hunter Pence and Avi.  Giant meh from me.  

Wow, I didn't even say that lol

But yeah, I actually forgot about Leury momentarily. Platoon him with Mazara. (After looking at the stats, 100% Leury).

Edited by soxfan2014

1 minute ago, soxfan2014 said:

Wow, I didn't even say that lol

But yeah, I actually forgot about Leury momentarily. Platoon him with Mazara.

No, you didn't mention them by name but you said "go find strong bench bat to platoon with him", and frankly there really aren't any on the market that won't require a significant commitment.  Unless, like I said, Zobrist, Pence or Avi tickle your fancy.  

I'd rather give at bats to Leury than those three. 

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

No, you didn't mention them by name but you said "go find strong bench bat to platoon with him", and frankly there really aren't any on the market that won't require a significant commitment.  Unless, like I said, Zobrist, Pence or Avi tickle your fancy.  

I've been suggesting Leury as the other half of that platoon since we acquired Mazara. I think that'd be perfect.

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

Yeah I'm currently combing through free agency and checking stats trying to find a lefty masher (think a guy like Steve Pearce) but the right-handed hitting OFs are pretty meh. Domingo Santana is out there but I'd expect him to get a starting role somewhere.

Just now, soxfan2014 said:

Yeah I'm currently combing through free agency and checking stats trying to find a lefty masher (think a guy like Steve Pearce) but the right-handed hitting OFs are pretty meh. Domingo Santana is out there but I'd expect him to get a starting role somewhere.

Yah, I suppose Santana would be kind of interesting if he'd sign a 1 year deal.  Terrible OF, but at this point, there aren't many options.  

10 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

But yeah, I actually forgot about Leury momentarily. Platoon him with Mazara. (After looking at the stats, 100% Leury).

He is easily forgettable... at least for me. Probably one of the few here that wants the Sox to move on from him. 

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

Yah, I suppose Santana would be kind of interesting if he'd sign a 1 year deal.  Terrible OF, but at this point, there aren't many options.  

I'd prefer an Garcia/Engel platoon just to mitigate some of that defense. Santana is uhhhh not going to that.

On 12/11/2019 at 6:14 PM, The Sir said:

Huh? Getting a 24 year old who’s hit 19 or 20 homeruns every year he’s been in the league with OPS and SLG trending upward is despised, but paying $9 million a year for the next three for a guy who’s pitched 10 IP since 2014 is what some people were actually excited about?

You clearly have not done a lot of research before speaking out on this topic. For comparison sake, look at Merrill Kelly of DBacks who also came from KBO last year and posted 2 fWAR, and Lindblom has fared a lot better than Kelly in KBO, a notoriously hitter friendly park.

You point how much Lindblom sucked at MLB, but I hope you do realize in recent years players have went oversea to hone their craft and came back a better player. Lindlbom has improved drastically between his 1st and 2nd KBO stint, so it's very much possible he's going to fare better in MLB this time around. Lastly, his FB spin rate has improved considerably in recent years it is now consider elite for a SP, and that's only going to help his cause.

I'm disappointed Sox didn't take a shot at $3M AAV.