Sox and Sawks to see if the Price is Right

fathom

23 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Fuggem.  It should be Collins and prospects not named Madrigal and Vaughn if they want to get out of luxury tax hell.

Yeah. It's gotta be Price, Benintendi, plus cash for Collins OR Price, Benintendi, no cash coming to the Sox for someone lesser than Collins. Throw Mazara in the deal since we wouldn't need him anymore and the Red Sox can plug him in LF for Benintendi.

Edited by soxfan2014

8 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Think what you must about Hahn, but theres no chance he thought price and benetendi for Madrigal and Vaughn was the enticing offer he discussed. 

yes, and I would also bet this offer was not discussed at all. And it was more Gammons talking to someone in or near the FO who was identifying prospects.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bmags said:

yes, and I would also bet this offer was not discussed at all. And it was more Gammons talking to someone in or near the FO who was identifying prospects.

and FWIW Gammons said it was clear they were "far apart" on a price

If I'm packaging Vaughn and Madrigal the headline piece is going to be a hell of a lot better than a 34 year old price, Benintendi or Rodriguez. That's just (expensive) depth.

And I'm a big Benintendi backer!

Use that talent for a guy your front office does not allow themselves to sign.

Just now, bmags said:

If I'm packaging Vaughn and Madrigal the headline piece is going to be a hell of a lot better than a 34 year old price, Benintendi or Rodriguez. That's just (expensive) depth.

And I'm a big Benintendi backer!

Use that talent for a guy your front office does not allow themselves to sign.

No doubt. That would be an awful trade. The Collins+ MiLB piece would be more appropriate.

51 minutes ago, sox71 said:

Gammons just said on MLB that the Red Sox want Vaughn and Madrigal to make this Price-Benitendi+cash deal to work.  He did comment that they were too far apart on money.   That would be crazy.  

That's what you get for not ponying up for a real FA SP line Gerrit Cole. Yeah, yeah I get it. Even if the Sox were really in on him it's still very likely he'd choose New York. It doesnt matter though. Now you're in a position where teams want 2 of your 3 best prospects for David freaking Price and AB??? 

Screw that! Should have just offered Wheeler the We Suck Tax to change his mind. 

1 minute ago, South Sider said:

That's what you get for not ponying up for a real FA SP line Gerrit Cole. Yeah, yeah I get it. Even if the Sox were really in on him it's still very likely he'd choose New York. It doesnt matter though. Now you're in a position where teams want 2 of your 3 best prospects for David freaking Price and AB??? 

Screw that! Should have just offered Wheeler the We Suck Tax to change his mind. 

Yep.  Penny smart pound foolish.  As usual.  They will commit two unnecessary years (and 30 odd million) to Jose but won't sweeten a deal by 10 million or so when it only costs cash to acquire a 4 WAR SP and not trade assets.

Just now, soxfan2014 said:

But the moves the Sox make are usually pretty quiet. Sometimes you don't even know they are interested in a player until he is acquired.

True, but once something comes out it's usually done quickly. Grandal happened fast, Mazara took a couple hours.