Sox and Sawks to see if the Price is Right

fathom

1 minute ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Yep.  Penny smart pound foolish.  As usual.  They will commit two unnecessary years (and 30 odd million) to Jose but won't sweeten a deal by 10 million or so when it only costs cash to acquire a 4 WAR SP and not trade assets.

Seriously. I dont really believe it was his wives call. I think it was his way of nicely saying I dont want to play for you. The money was close enough to go somewhere he wanted.

Hahn gets pissed off when people say we need to overpay to get top FAs, but it's true. The We Suck Tax is real and theres no doubt a few million more would have changed Wheelers mind. This is a perfect example that directly dispels Hahns notion that the tax doesnt exist and players want to play here.

Chicago ain't that far away from home, especially when you can afford first class flights.

Just now, Swingandalongonetoleft said:

I hope it's dead if the price for this bullshit was Madrigal and Vaughn. Hopefully it wasn't even entertained by Rickster. 

Hopefully it was just a high ask and they settle on something lesser. Would love to get AB and David Price (if the Red Sox pay down some of that salary). Also means we could move Mazara to a team that also wanted him from the Rangers (or include him in a Red Sox deal to offset a bit more cash/replace Benintendi in OF).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Maybe the Cardinals pull this off, They have a lot of 24 yr. old OF depth,  much of it ML ready. Most of it Right handed however. They are looking for a lefty OF. Ted Sox probably ask for Dylan Carlson :P.

Cardinals are definitely a fit (I believe they were in on Price when he was a free agent). Also should (probably) take them out of the Ryu market.

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Hopefully it was just a high ask and they settle on something lesser. Would love to get AB and David Price (if the Red Sox pay down some of that salary). Also means we could move Mazara to a team that also wanted him from the Rangers (or include him in a Red Sox deal to offset a bit more cash/replace Benintendi in OF).

I'm fine with moving one, but not both.   Assuming we are only on the hook for $20 million per season on Price. 

1B and 2B are replaceable position prospects. 

I don't think it would be that bad if the Sox got a Price or Sale + one of the Red Sox other good young MLB players + cash (as long as you don't give up 2 big prospects in the deal) and than had a Mad Bum / Keuchel / Ryu.  Price and Mad Bum (or others) aren't aces anymore, but they both are upgrades to the rotation and proven vets who understand what it takes to win and have been there/done that in the post-season.  Rotation is upgraded, lineup is upgraded, and while Sox use some payroll, they stay away from the LT deal that prevents them from being creative on the trade front, opportunistically pouncing in free agency, and having funds to lock up core players as they (hopefully) develop.  

1 hour ago, Swingandalongonetoleft said:

I hope it's dead if the price for this bullshit was Madrigal and Vaughn. Hopefully it wasn't even entertained by Rickster. 

This. I’d be furious if they did that. If you try to trade those two, you need to be getting a stud hitter or TOR starter.

When Hahn said there were temptations and he was talking to KW about it, if it's BOS it's almost certainly Sale not Price. 

The elbow is a big risk and they'd have to have our doctor's look at it thoroughly. 

Vaughn AND Madrigal is alot to pay and the 145m with that risk is alot to assume. Benintendi being thrown in helps and I know they were gonna draft him when we took Fulmer.

We have a ton of 1B types, but I don't want to lose Madrigal. He's not as easily replaceable. 

How bout we just take the Sale contract and Beni in exchange for Vaughn, Collins, Mazara, or maybe Vaughn plus Stiever or one of the pitchers we drafted this year. 

Or what about just taking Sale straight up for Vaughn since we would be eating all the salary. I know their top prospects are 1B but they can move Vaughn if they want.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hatchetman said:

I cannot believe that after finally rebuilding our minors to some level of respectability we would even contemplate giving away our best remaining assets. That's the exact program that resulted in a decade of misery.

And that's what Hahn kind of said he was wrestling with when talking about that deal. 

It wouldn't even be something to think about if it was price but Sale is a different story. 

Sale, Giolito, Kopech, Cease and one solid 5 would be a great rotation and if they kept him healthy 5/145 is a reasonable deal. 

They could also keep Beni in LF where he is good and keep Mazara in RF for one year to see how he is and have Eloy and Abreu switch off between 1B and DH.

Keep Madrigal...having solid D up the middle is important. 

Send Vaughn and Stiever and get the trade for Sale and Beni done.

• Like 1