Sox and Sawks to see if the Price is Right

fathom

1 minute ago, wegner said:

Bryan Mata is their #3 prospect according to Pipeline and a pitcher.  If they want to ask for our top prospects...2 can play that game.

Including prospects, going both ways, complicates any potential deal. I still think that this is about Boston shedding that contract and that will likely be the key. I have read that the Boston front office is insisting that they don't want to include Benintendi, but that could simply be posturing. As you and I have said, if Bloom is desperate enough, he may have to give in to the buyer's demands. The problem is that there might be some GM dumb enough to agree to Bloom's demands. He is in no position to demand anything. Let's hope that Hahn realizes that.

2 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

We would need guys who are established to some degree. 

I am trying to give up as little of our talent as possible.  If you are looking for Price + established player(s) I shudder to think what Hahn will give up.

Edited by wegner

1 hour ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Add a couple relievers and another starter/swing-man type and I don’t see how this team couldn’t compete for the division / Wild Card...  that lineup would be stacked.

2B  Madrigal

LF  Benintendi

3B  Moncada

1B  Abreu

C    Grandal

DH  Eloy

RF  Mazara

SS  Anderson

CF  Robert

Giolito

Price

Kopech

Cease

Lopez / Rodon

I think pretty darn soon Eloy will have the unquestioned highest SLG% on the team. He should be 4th or 5th.

I'd go 

Madrigal R

Benintendi L

Moncada S

Jimenez R

Grandal S

Anderson R

Mazara L

Robert R (once he develops more plate discipline and a higher OBP he can go up to 1, or 2 if Benintendi leads off, with Madrigal dropping to the bottom third).

Collins L or Abreu R

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SoCalChiSox said:

I think pretty darn soon Eloy will have the unquestioned highest SLG% on the team. He should be 4th or 5th.

I'd go 

Madrigal R

Benintendi L

Moncada S

Jimenez R

Grandal S

Anderson R

Mazara L

Robert R (once he develops more plate discipline and a higher OBP he can go up to 1, or 2 if Benintendi leads off, with Madrigal dropping to the bottom third).

Collins L or Abreu R

I agree.  I was including the Renteria factor into my projected lineup.

2 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Including prospects, going both ways, complicates any potential deal. I still think that this is about Boston shedding that contract and that will likely be the key. I have read that the Boston front office is insisting that they don't want to include Benintendi, but that could simply be posturing. As you and I have said, if Bloom is desperate enough, he may have to give in to the buyer's demands. The problem is that there might be some GM dumb enough to agree to Bloom's demands. He is in no position to demand anything. Let's hope that Hahn realizes that.

If someone else gives in there is nothing we can do about that...I am just concerned that Hahn will give away the farm (quite literally) just to get something done.  I keep coming back to...for crying out loud, just spend the $$ on free agent pitching.  Ryu & Keuchel are still out there.

44 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Yeah, obviously it’s a no go if they want Vaughn and Madrigal.

If the Sox could get Price and Benintendi, along with some cash, for Collins and some additional prospects (Stiever?), I’d be all over it.

That trade is fantasy land man. 

I blame all of this Bullshit on Rick Hahn.  Every team in major league baseball thinks they can dump their bad contracts and expect a Tatis Jr in return.  

If you sign a bad contract, you should feel some pain when you are looking to unload it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

I realize he’s awesome but he’s a free agent after 2020.  Give me 3 years of Ben Nintendo.

I'm trying to be realistic in getting Boston to pay as much of that contract as possible. They got themselves into that mess and they got Price's best years. If I have to take his worst years I want money and a player and don't want to give up much of anything. Ask for Beni and it's take the whole contract and give me one of your good prospects.

3 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I'm trying to be realistic in getting Boston to pay as much of that contract as possible. They got themselves into that mess and they got Price's best years. If I have to take his worst years I want money and a player and don't want to give up much of anything. Ask for Beni and it's take the whole contract and give me one of your good prospects.

Id take on the whole contract if it meant just getting Ben Nintendo. It’s 3y, won’t cripple you. 

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

Yah, Abreu deal was a fucking joke.  Made my blood boil when Hahn cited that as part of the Machado money.  

At the end of the day, the Sox are never going to be free spenders, so overpaying our 1 dimensional DH never made any sense unless blowing by $150M payroll during the window was no longer an issue.  Pretty obvious that isn't the case after the WM.  

He also cited the Eloy deal that bought out a single year of free agency.  At this point it seems like Hahn is including base payroll expense in his “the money will be spent” mantra.

1 minute ago, Soxnfins said:

Id take on the whole contract if it meant just getting Ben Nintendo. It’s 3y, won’t cripple you. 

Highest contract in White Sox history goes to 34 year old David Price for just 3 years at the tail end of his career bailing a rich team out their own created mess and taking the headache he has become with the fans and media is not is a look I like and Beni is just a dream. It won't happen

10 minutes ago, wegner said:

I blame all of this Bullshit on Rick Hahn.  Every team in major league baseball thinks they can dump their bad contracts and expect a Tatis Jr in return.  

If you sign a bad contract, you should feel some pain when you are looking to unload it.

Hahn's ticket to HOF.  Worst trade ever.  Top 5 for sure.  

1 hour ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Am I crazy to think Price and Benintendi for the next 3 years would be better than Wheeler for the next 5 years if the money is the same (around $118 million)?

Obviously, you would also have to factor in what the Sox would have to give up.

I’d much rather have Wheeler.

16 minutes ago, wegner said:

This x1000

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

That trade is fantasy land man. 

Not from a value standpoint.  Price has huge negative surplus value and Benintendi really isn’t good enough (depending on your projections for him) to offset that.  That doesn’t mean the Red Sox would make such trade, but theoretically speaking AB should easily be the cost of taking on Price’s entire contract.

11 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

He also cited the Eloy deal that bought out a single year of free agency.  At this point it seems like Hahn is including base payroll expense in his “the money will be spent” mantra.

It's not even that it seems.  That is exactly what he's doing.  He included Abreu as well who was always going to come back.

Then walked it back and said Machado's deal was a 10 year deal so maybe it will be spread out over that time.

He is acting and saying that we would have almost 0 dollars to spend if we signed Machado.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Highest contract in White Sox history goes to 34 year old David Price for just 3 years at the tail end of his career bailing a rich team out their own created mess and taking the headache he has become with the fans and media is not is a look I like and Beni is just a dream. It won't happen

Correct, but the contract is the cost of doing business if you want him.