Sox and Sawks to see if the Price is Right

fathom

Maybe it’s just me, but I’d much rather have Ivan Nova back than a declining-expensive David Price..

Go sign Dallas Kuechel, sign Alex Wood, bring back Ivan Nova.

Go get Delin Betances, and might as well sign Steven Souza because they sure as hell aren’t bringing in Castellanos/Ozuna.

And then next offseason go all in on Mookie Betts so we can get our hopes up again just so we can get shitted on. 

2 minutes ago, teorey23 said:

Maybe it’s just me, but I’d much rather have Ivan Nova back than a declining-expensive David Price..

Go sign Dallas Kuechel, sign Alex Wood, bring back Ivan Nova.

Go get Delin Betances, and might as well sign Steven Souza because they sure as hell aren’t bringing in Castellanos/Ozuna.

And then next offseason go all in on Mookie Betts so we can get our hopes up again just so we can get shitted on. 

Why would bring in three starters?

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/david-prices-trade-value/

This writer on fangraphs suggests $60M in excess value suggesting Price would struggle to get 2/30 on the open market. 

Also said fair trades just to equal out Price’s negative value are Eduardo Rodriguez +$30M or Benintendi +$5M per year of Price’s contract. 

That seems like a little bit of hyperbole to me. I think the value of potential TOR pitchers always get inflated just because of how few become available. But nonetheless, we’re talking $40+ Mil in negative value attached to Price. 

Don’t know much about him, but what do people think about getting Chavis back in a hypothetical deal? Not alone obviously, maybe with Groome/Houck attached as well. But chavis looks like he has some pretty good pop and could start at 2B until Madrigal is up and then be the RH side of a DH platoon + backup at 2B/3B 

5 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

I know money is always a factor but I didn’t think I’d ever see someone post that they’d rather have Ivan Nova than David Price.  Wow.

It's called Indifferent Fan Syndrome (IFS). When a fan is let down so much by their team they no longer get excited, and accept anything. They no longer care or have reasonable expectations. There is no cure if you support a Jerry Reinsdorf led franchise. 

• Like 2

Is the consensus here that, if Price were a free agent, with no qualifying offer attached, that he would get approximately $20 million per year, if it were a 3 year deal? If so, then Bloom has to know that Boston is either going to have to add a player, or money, to get a team to bite. I hope that other GM's understand that. It's not only about his value, it's about the degree to which the seller is motivated. It is obvious that Bloom is highly motivated.

Edited by Lillian

4 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

It's called Indifferent Fan Syndrome (IFS). When a fan is let down so much by their team they no longer get excited, and accept anything. They no longer care or have reasonable expectations. There is no cure if you support a Jerry Reinsdorf led franchise. 

The way I feel if he doesn't care, why should I? 

• Love 1

2 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Is the consensus here that, if Price were a free agent, with no qualifying offer attached, that he would get approximately $20 million per year, if it were a 3 year deal? If so, then Bloom has to know that Boston is either going to have to add a player, or money, to get a time to bite. I hope that other GM's understand that. It's not only about his value, it's about the degree to which the seller is motivated. It is obvious that Bloom is highly motivated.

Two thoughts: There are 5 teams interested but we don't know how interested. If 3 or 4 are truly interested, Bloom has some  leverage. Price appears to be liked by his teammates but is not very popular w fans and he has a lot of media issues. He is regularly trashed on Boston sports shows. 

1 minute ago, SCCWS said:

Two thoughts: There are 5 teams interested but we don't know how interested. If 3 or 4 are truly interested, Bloom has some  leverage. Price appears to be liked by his teammates but is not very popular w fans and he has a lot of media issues. He is regularly trashed on Boston sports shows. 

I know which other teams are reportedly interested. The question is; are they smart enough to understand that it's a buyer's market, for Price, because Boston needs to unload salary?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Give me Alex Wood for 8 mil compared to Price. 

If Alex Wood is only $8 million for one year, which is entirely plausible, sign him as the second starter regardless of acquiring Price.  Hahn paid more for Nova last season.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

16 minutes ago, Lillian said:

I know which other teams are reportedly interested. The question is; are they smart enough to understand that it's a buyer's market, for Price, because Boston needs to unload salary?

Another wildcard is the Cole signing.  Yankees will go into ST as the prohibitive favorite. It will be interesting to see what Boston will now do from a payroll standpoint.  

10 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

Another wildcard is the Cole signing.  Yankees will go into ST as the prohibitive favorite. It will be interesting to see what Boston will now do from a payroll standpoint.  

In the Dombrowski era, the Red Sox would be spending, to keep pace with the Yankees. However, their new GM was brought in to get their fiscal house in order. For the first time, in a long time, it appears that Boston will not be spending recklessly. The money they do spend is apparently intended to be allocated toward things like retaining Betts. It is clear that shedding Price's contract is a high priority. That is the most important point.

Edited by Lillian

46 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Is the consensus here that, if Price were a free agent, with no qualifying offer attached, that he would get approximately $20 million per year, if it were a 3 year deal? If so, then Bloom has to know that Boston is either going to have to add a player, or money, to get a team to bite. I hope that other GM's understand that. It's not only about his value, it's about the degree to which the seller is motivated. It is obvious that Bloom is highly motivated.

I have used 16 M as how I would value him but I realize it is subjective.  Like you...I see no reason to help Boston out unless there is some reason to do so.  Ryu and Kuechel are probably more reliable at the same money as Price.  We need money or players to equalize the deal.

56 minutes ago, Lillian said:

I'm not even real sure there's real interest from so many teams. I'm pretty paranoid about Boston writers/fans and fake leaks creating false interest in order to help out the Red Sox. The good old fashioned all for one and one for all hyping up the product and pretending Bostons desperate situation is now the buyers desperate situation.

33 minutes ago, Lillian said:

In the Dombrowski era, the Red Sox would be spending, to keep pace with the Yankees. However, their new GM was brought in to get their fiscal house in order. For the first time, in a long time, it appears that Boston will not be spending recklessly. The money they do spend is apparently intended to be allocated toward things like retaining Betts. It is clear that shedding Price's contract is a high priority. That is the most important point.

I think Bradley and his $10mil will also go. 

8 minutes ago, bschmaranz said:

120ish

Makes a ton of sense.... worst case scenario Boston doesn’t send any cash our way and Sox can still add a piece without reaching an outrageous payroll.  

We either end up with some rotation depth if we take back the two SPs or we have our OF set for the next couple years and we just need one more arm.

Only problem is - I feel like this type of trade wont happen because this could make one of the two GMs looks like a moron in 10 months.

4 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I'm not even real sure there's real interest from so many teams. I'm pretty paranoid about Boston writers/fans and fake leaks creating false interest in order to help out the Red Sox. The good old fashioned all for one and one for all hyping up the product and pretending Bostons desperate situation is now the buyers desperate situation.

Cinci and St Louis media say they are in but time will tell. I think St Louis is the team to watch out for. 

5 minutes ago, Nardiwashere said:

Makes a ton of sense.... worst case scenario Boston doesn’t send any cash our way and Sox can still add a piece without reaching an outrageous payroll.  

We either end up with some rotation depth if we take back the two SPs or we have our OF set for the next couple years and we just need one more arm.

Only problem is - I feel like this type of trade wont happen because this could make one of the two GMs looks like a moron in 10 months.

There's no way they trade Price AND Rodriguez without a pitcher like Lopez coming back.

It has to be Price and Benintendi, with the idea of Boston pulling out all the stops to keep Betts off the market.    Price and Jackie Bradley isn't going to be do it, with Bradley just being a one year rental.  If it's Price and Benintendi, then Collins pretty much has to be the one to go.