Sox and Sawks to see if the Price is Right

fathom

2 hours ago, Greek-konerko said:

What else red sox can thrown in in the deal so hahn will trade Vaughn?maybe a 2nd so?or a good reliever?

I wouldn't be in favor of this, but adding Benintendi to the deal might cause them to include Vaughn depending on how much money Boston is willing to eat. Greg Nix at Sox Machine speculated about a Dunning + Rutherford + "flier" package for Price + Eduardo Rodriguez & $15M which makes sense to me at first glance.

8 hours ago, JuliusO1274 said:

Eventually some of these prospects will likely be traded but they should save them to be packed in deals that get us a better player than Price. I would hate to see our trade chips wasted on him. Price has not been staying heathy the past few years either. 

Price will not cost any trade chips much less a good one.  He is strictly a money deal.

• Like 2

While they probably aren't on Vaughns level, the Red Sox top 2 prospects are both 1st baseman. Do we really think they'd be looking to add another one? 

I'm comfortable giving up Madrigal for both Price and Benintendi, but that has to be the deal. No Benintendi? No deal. You want Vaughn, or really any other high end prospect with Nick? No deal. 

I think the delay on this is the Sox are looking around for a guy better than Price. If they exhaust all other options, it may be revisited. 

In a perfect world Madrigal is used for a better pitcher or the Sox sign Ryu and Price is traded here for scraps as the 2nd piece.

Giolito-Ryu-Price-Cease-Lopez/Kopech

You have Rodon and Dunning for depth when the older guys get hurt.

14 minutes ago, scs787 said:

While they probably aren't on Vaughns level, the Red Sox top 2 prospects are both 1st baseman. Do we really think they'd be looking to add another one? 

I'm comfortable giving up Madrigal for both Price and Benintendi, but that has to be the deal. No Benintendi? No deal. You want Vaughn, or really any other high end prospect with Nick? No deal. 

I think the delay on this is the Sox are looking around for a guy better than Price. If they exhaust all other options, it may be revisited. 

In a perfect world Madrigal is used for a better pitcher or the Sox sign Ryu and Price is traded here for scraps as the 2nd piece.

Why would we give up Madrigal for Price and Benintendi when:

a) Price is 34 and projected to provide about 2 WAR a year on a contract worth approximately 60 million in negative value and Benintendi isn't worth 60 million in surplus value the next three years?

b) We already obtained another LH OF.

c) We are sitting on piles of money so why not spend it instead of sacrifing key pieces of the rebuild?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Fun to speculate on but I don't see a deal here. As much as I like Benintendi, we are pretty much set positionally, or will be when Robert and Madrigal join, so no reason to part with any of our high value prospects.  Rodriguez would be a good get to help balance value but Red Sox need him, especially with Price gone. FG assigns an approx. AAV of $15M to Price so Boston would have to cough up $50M before we even talk about corresponding assets from our side.

29 minutes ago, scs787 said:

Boston's top MLB prospect is Chavis who is a 2nd baseman who has a pretty good rookie year. Boston needs a RH-SP if Price goes. 

I would love Benintendi in RF especially w him also being a LH bat.  My gut is they won't trade him though.  

12 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

Boston's top MLB prospect is Chavis who is a 2nd baseman who has a pretty good rookie year. Boston needs a RH-SP if Price goes. 

I would love Benintendi in RF especially w him also being a LH bat.  My gut is they won't trade him though.  

Meh. He started hot but finished with an OPS+ of 96. 

Ostensibly, one of the reasons that the Sox would want Benintendi would be to have a starting RF who plays decent defens, bats LH, .and is under control for 3 more years. That would allow  Mazara to DH which  would really strengthen the line-up vs RH pitching.  Thus:

Madrigal (RH)
Moncada (LH)
Tim Anderson (RH)
Abreu (RH)
Grandal (LH)
Eloy (RH)
Mazara (LH)
Robert (RH)
Benintendi (LH)

One argument against acquiring AB seems to be that Mazara is going to be sufficient defensively in RF and at the same time,  that Collins can make the roster and be the designated LH DH.   I am hopeful that Mazara could be a  decent RF but I am less confident that Collins will hit enough or retain enough value to the team to stick as a platoon DH.

7 minutes ago, tray said:

Ostensibly, one of the reasons that the Sox would want Benintendi would be to have a starting RF who plays decent defens, bats LH, .and is under control for 3 more years. That would allow  Mazara to DH which  would really strengthen the line-up vs RH pitching.  Thus:

I like Benintendi but he's not a RFer.  He's a LF/CFer.  I'd be happy if the Sox got Benintendi, but they should play him in LF with Jimenez at DH (which they won't do).

At this point, it doesn't look like Bloom is going to come to his senses. His demands seem quite unreasonable. In any case, our Sox don't need another outfielder. Leury and Engel can be used as late inning, defensive replacements, or even a platoon with Mazara, at almost no cost. I hope they sign Keuchel, Nova and a reliever and call it an off season. 

Keuchel at 4/$70 M

Nova for 1 year at ???

Edited by Lillian

3 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Benintendi is no CFer, except in an emergency...well, maybe in the same sense Avi can play there.

AB has played  CF. Robert might be better suited as a RF with his arm strength and he might be less prone to injury from diving for balls in the gaps.

Just now, tray said:

What if Mazara sucks in RF?  Engel and Leury and DH him?

Mazara isn't a plus RF by any means, but he's not awful.  Merely average, or slightly below.  The narrative that he is awful out there has a been a bit overblown.  

Leury and Engel are going to be his platoonmates anyway.  

1 hour ago, Lillian said:

At this point, it doesn't look like Bloom is going to come to his senses. His demands seem quite unreasonable. In any case, our Sox don't need another outfielder. Leury and Engel can be used as late inning, defensive replacements, or even a platoon with Mazara, at almost no cost. I hope they sign Keuchel, Nova and a reliever and call it an off season. 

Keuchel at 4/$70 M

Nova for 1 year at ???

There is no way that Chaim Bloom asked for Vaughn or Madrigal in return for David Price. He's a smart guy. I just don't believe it. It's a complete time waster. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

There is no way that Chaim Bloom asked for Vaughn or Madrigal in return for David Price. He's a smart guy. I just don't believe it. It's a complete time waster. 

I have not given any credence to the speculation that Bloom asked for either Vaughn, or Madrigal. I have no idea. My statement about the Red Sox having unreasonable demands was based solely on Bloom's public pronouncements, regarding the kind of deal he is suggesting for Price.