Sox and Sawks to see if the Price is Right

fathom

1 minute ago, daggins said:

Yeah, I don't think Gammons has been right about anything like this for years.

Also he very much would receive a report from boston and run with it despite it being so obscenely one-sided for them because he would only consider boston.

13 minutes ago, smellysox said:

Completely agree with this. I really wonder if Boston's goal of shedding salaries is more for a Betts extension rather than moving payroll under the luxury tax.

They want to get under the tax and reset so that the Mookie contract doesn't cost them 90 million extra in taxes. 

I'll believe the Red Sox are going to lose a generational talent - who has a chance to be an all-time great - when I see it happen.

• Like 1

If the White Sox want Boston to eat significantly more of that contract, they will need to include prospects. The Sox have coveted Benintendi since before the Sale trade also. It's not too hard to connect the dots. What Gammons is proposing is ludicrous. However, the White Sox making such a deal, would not surprise me in the least. Probably not both, but I could see them being short-sighted enough to include at least one. 

Edited by bachy

8 minutes ago, DurhamStance said:

It’s ok to trade prospects. Most prospects don’t pan out. We need to stop treating every single one as untouchable. 

Vaughn I could trade, but certainly not for David Price. 

Madrigal should be going nowhere.  

10 minutes ago, bachy said:

If the White Sox want Boston to eat significantly more of that contract, they will need to include prospects. The Sox have coveted Benintendi since before the Sale trade also. It's not too hard to connect the dots. What Gammons is proposing is ludicrous. However, the White Sox making such a deal, would not surprise me in the least. Probably not both, but I could see them being short-sighted enough to include at least one. 

If Benintendi is included, Vaughn is probably going to the Red Sox.  That just seems like the reality of the situation, even if it seems like an overpay.  I like Vaughn a lot and hate that the Sox could end up trading a good prospect when they just could have signed a free agent, but between Abreu, Grandal, and Collins, the Sox have a group of guys under team control for 3+ years who can give solid production at 1B.  The rebuild can be successful even without Vaughn. 

6 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

I don't think I'm doing Vaughn for Beni straight up which is kind of what this is.  

Nah it's worse, Price has so much negative value that it's more like Vaughn and Madrigal for nothing. fwiw I wouldn't do Vaughn for Beni either.

3 minutes ago, Perfect Vision said:

If Benintendi is included, Vaughn is probably going to the Red Sox.  That just seems like the reality of the situation, even if it seems like an overpay.  I like Vaughn a lot and hate that the Sox could end up trading a good prospect when they just could have signed a free agent, but between Abreu, Grandal, and Collins, the Sox have a group of guys under team control for 3+ years who can give solid production at 1B.  The rebuild can be successful even without Vaughn. 

If Vaughn is on the table then trade him for a young starter with team control. Not 34 year old David Price.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Perfect Vision said:

I agree they can win without Vaughn. I would say that they probably won't win if they give away the most valuable assets in baseball (top-end pre arb talent) for average-to-bad players with less control.

2 minutes ago, daggins said:

Nah it's worse, Price has so much negative value that it's more like Vaughn and Madrigal for nothing. fwiw I wouldn't do Vaughn for Beni either.

I would not trade six controlled seasons of Vaughn for three seasons of Benintendi arbitration control. 

Just pay a guy like Ozuna for only money, WTF 

3 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

If Vaughn is on the table then trade him for a young starter with team control. Not 34 year old David Price.

I hope this FO is not feeling the pressure and will do something foolish. Not sure I trust they won't..

Edited by Saufley

2 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

I would not trade six controlled seasons of Vaughn for three seasons of Benintendi arbitration control. 

Just pay a guy like Ozuna for only money, WTF 

Yeah.  I mean, there isn't any reason to do that trade if they are asking for Vaughn.

Idc if they trade Vaughn but I'd rather it be for a young SP.

26 minutes ago, bachy said:

If the White Sox want Boston to eat significantly more of that contract, they will need to include prospects. 

They shouldn't. And if good prospects are required, they shouldn't make the trade.
He's an aging pitcher who wasn't anything special last year and who has pitched 1/2 a season in 2 of the last 3 years.  That's the price to pay.  
Boston may not like it.  But the Sox can go free agent route if they don't like it.

Most prospects don't pan out. But most GMs understand which ones are real prospects with potential and which are limited. Unfortunately, the Sox GM is not one of the "most" and you can't take the chance with him dealing prospects.  He's really bad at the veteran side of the trades too.

Edited by GreenSox