Sox Fan Therapy thread

Jack Parkman

5 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

I told you all not to get your hopes up

I highly doubt anyone got their Hope's up. It's just the fact that this ownership group sucks ass and we once again watched the whales go where they are welcome. We were told the money will be spent and blah blah blah. Augmenting the rebuild with actual, premium, Boras priced talent is a smart move!!!! But they're out, and we get garbage like Mazara that we need to hope on more than Marcell fucking Ozuna, who has a WAY better chance at a 4 WAR season, laughed at by our fucking owner. Hes not even a whale, but hes basically written off as a possibility now!!!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, oneofthemikes said:

I’m confused. We’re we ever officially in on Rendon? People are acting like this is Machado 2.0 and I don’t remember seeing anything that ever tied us to him. 

No, but that's kind of the issue.  They didn't show any interest at all with the top 3 players available and they are sitting on a stash of money.

6 hours ago, southsideirish71 said:

We will need at least one team official to start playing the "Well if you came to the ballpark we could afford free agents" right around now to make things better.  I am sure Merkin probably has an article all ready to go on that material.

Fans ought to f***ing revolt if this happens. No one wants to hear that shit right now. 

4 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Acquiring Price/Keuchel plus signing a cheaper secondary SP like Porcello while not ideal, could quickly regain some faith.  There are options.  I just hope the Sox aren’t refusing to deal with Boras, otherwise, there are very limited options available.

I think it’s pretty clear we’re trying to work with Boras or we would have already seen a lesser starter like Roark signed by now.  My guess is Boras has hiked up the prices on Ryu & Keuchel and seeing if anyone is desperate enough to give them four years.  I still think we land Dallas for like 3/$60M which is better than nothing but still pretty sad as our big pitching addition.

I'm going to reserve judgment for a while.  There's plenty of off season left.  As the team sits now, they are positioned to score a lot of runs...and give up a lot of runs.

They need at least one SP (two is ideal to allow Kopech to start in AAA and get back up to speed), and some additional bullpen help will be required.  Ryu, Bumgarner, and Keuchel are not sexy names, but any of them would help this pitching staff.  I'm going to cross my fingers and toes in hopes that they land one of these unless they acquire someone else via trade.

As far as offensive help, 2B still needs to be addressed unless they're planning on Madrigal starting with the team out of spring training.  I wouldn't mind seeing a compliment to Mazara for RF.  Castellanos would be really nice, but I see that as a remote possibility.

My thoughts on "the big three" are as such: Strasburg was almost certainly going back to Washington, Cole's contract is insane, and most of us probably agree that it's good that the Sox didn't offer more than that.  Rendon is a bit puzzling considering what Machado was offered last year.  However, I wouldn't be surprised if the front office didn't look at acquiring him to be a priority considering we have a superstar at 3B already.  Still, if you sign him you can figure out where to play who and get his bat in the lineup.  All that being said, I'm not surprised the Sox didn't land one these guys.

I still think the Sox sign one of Ryu, Keuchel, or Bumgarner and pick up another lesser SP for one year.  I also wouldn't be surprised if they sign a middle IF (Gennett, Schoop, etc.).

I'm not terribly excited about how the off season has gone so far, but it's early.  I hope a move or two is made by Christmas  because things are moving a lot faster than last year.  If the Sox don't start filling holes soon, other teams are going to swoop in, and the Sox will be left with Nova and Santiago.

• Thanks 1

My fear is that this rebuild will end like the numerous failed Bulls rebuilds, there are just too many similarities. Coming into this off-season we were the team everyone said was making all the calls, doing all the work, and would make some big noise. All we've done is sign a good catcher that the league undervalues because of age and fear of regression, trade for a bum hoping we will greatly improve, and engage in trade talks for players other teams want to get rid of. We should have signed at least one of the big names and tried to bring in more young and useful talent since we have the resources. The sad thing is, our FO actually thinks they are competent and shrewd/savvy folks. . 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, reiks12 said:

I told you all not to get your hopes up

Getting my hopes up is one thing I will not do. If somehow this FO finally builds a winner, great. But as of now, I don't want to hear anything about a rebuild or that 2020 is still not the year. And I don't want to hear about fans being patient. Going on 12 years without a post season appearance which is the second longest since division play began in 1969. Yes, we have to go back to the Seventies to be this bad.