Time to rebuild the rebuild?

JUSTgottaBELIEVE

It’s highly unlikely the WS are a legitimate contender in 2020 based on how this offseason has transpired. It’s also become apparent that the timelines of the first wave of prospects, specifically Moncada and Giolito, do not align particularly well with the next wave of prospects and long term pieces like Eloy and Timmy, especially if 2020 is another lost season.

I’m sure the fans would crucify them for this so they won’t do it BUT I’d strongly consider trading Moncada and Giolito right now while they are at peak value. If someone like Lindor can potentially fetch May and Lux from the Dodgers, what would a guy like Moncada return in his final season of pre-arb? The demand for 3b around the league is huge right now (partly why the Rockies said they would listen on Arenado). Same with Giolito (goes without saying that demand for high end starting pitcher is through the roof). Why not target high end, MLB ready prospects for those two so that they better align with the forthcoming promotions of Lubo, Madrigal, and Vaughn?

Prospects I would target in trades:

May, Lux, Gray (Dodgers)

Adell, Marsh (Angels)

Gore, Patino, Baez (Padres)

Pache, Wright, Waters (Braves)

• Haha 2

Just now, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

It’s highly unlikely the WS are a legitimate contender in 2020 based on how this offseason has transpired. It’s also become apparent that the timelines of the first wave of prospects, specifically Moncada and Giolito, do not align particularly well with the next wave of prospects and long term pieces like Eloy and Timmy, especially if 2020 is another lost season.

I’m sure the fans would crucify them for this so they won’t do it BUT I’d strongly consider trading Moncada and Giolito right now while they are at peak value. If someone like Lindor can potentially fetch May and Lux from the Dodgers, what would a guy like Moncada return in his final season of pre-arb? The demand for 3b around the league is huge right now (partly why the Rockies said they would listen on Arenado). Same with Giolito (goes without saying that demand for high end starting pitcher is through the roof). Why not target high end, MLB ready prospects for those two so that they better align with the forthcoming promotions of Lubo, Madrigal, and Vaughn?

May, Lux, Gray (Dodgers)

Adell, Marsh (Angels)

😂😂😂😂

Please, stop.

I honestly can't believe people even propose things like this.

The corner is here, let's start over again!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 5

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

😂😂😂😂

Please, stop.

I honestly can't believe people even propose things like this.

The corner is here, let's start over again!

I sure hope we aren’t sitting in the Indians’ position two years from now after another two years of not contending and looking to trade those two guys as they get “expensive” in their later arb years.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

May, Lux, Gray (Dodgers)

Adell, Marsh (Angels)

You people are insufferable. My goodness. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Hatchetman said:

The logic isn't wrong. If you're not going for it now, why waste those years of control?

Correct. Either we’re going for it or we’re not. If we’re in the middle, we are simply wasting years of control on Moncada and Giolito as they reach arb next winter  and their trade value starts to diminish.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

They're going to be in the hunt for the division. Idk why people aren't seeing that the Twins have just as big a pitching problem as we do and the Indians are about to dump their best guys. They probably won't win it, but they're going to hang around. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

May, Lux, Gray (Dodgers)

Adell, Marsh (Angels)

Can we introduce downvotes? I would pay a small subscription fee to buy a batch of downvotes to properly insult this awful post.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Just now, mqr said:

They're going to be in the hunt for the division. Idk why people aren't seeing that the Twins have just as big a pitching problem as we do and the Indians are about to dump their best guys. They probably won't win it, but they're going to hang around. 

This. Our lineup has pretty well-solidified all the way through with the additions of Robert, Madrigal, Grandal, and Mazara. We will sign a pitcher or possibly two, or acquire one via trade. The Indians are tearing down and the Twins had huge years from a ton of offensive players and garbage pitching. They'll come back to earth and we will contend. But here Sox fans are, despondent that we didn't sign Zack Wheeler.

4 minutes ago, Chisoxmb35 said:

You people are insufferable. My goodness. 

The Sox plan this offseason has been insufferable to this point. I’m generally optimistic when it comes to the team but this is brutal. If they trade for Price that will just put it over the top. IMO, the pivot I suggested is a far wiser course than trading for another 34 year old overpaid has-been and thinking that puts you over the top. Plus, we know Hahn is effective in those types of trades based on history (those trades being the ones where he trades a young big leaguer for elite prospects, not the other way around).

Edited by JUSTgottaBELIEVE

There's no reason to lock this. This is a very intriguing idea and a "4-d chess move". This is a move that only those with BIG IQ's will 'get'.

I'm totally IN on listening to offers for Moncada and Giolito. But why stop there? Let's sell Kopech too, that guy is an injury waiting to happen, and also let's find someone who will take Eloy.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, mqr said:

I’m not suggesting they tear it all down like they did three years ago. I’m looking at trading two players that are about to get expensive in the relatively near future and hit free agency in four years for high end, MLB ready prospects that align with Lubo, Madrigal, Vaughn etc.

8 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

I sure hope we aren’t sitting in the Indians’ position two years from now after another two years of not contending and looking to trade those two guys as they get “expensive” in their later arb years.

The Indians won the AL central 3 years in a row before they missed the playoffs last year even though they win 93 games. I’d be THRILLED if we have that kind of success. 

6 minutes ago, mqr said:

And yet organizations like the Indians and Rays make these types of trades all the time and barely miss a beat...

• Thanks 1

Just now, Bad Hombre said:

The Indians won the AL central 3 years in a row before they missed the playoffs last year even though they win 93 games. I’d be THRILLED if we have that kind of success. 

See that’s the thing. They could easily win the division again this year if they kept everyone byt yet they are looking to retool by trading their best player and a top 10 player in MLB.

7 minutes ago, fathom said:

They shouldn’t rebuild, but at least we know our owner is smarter than the dumb Bulls owner that let the same Front Office oversee multiple rebuilds.

There’s one thing we know Hahn excels in - trading young MLB stars for high end prospects. Why not utilize his biggest strength in this instance and then turn it over to Dombrowski lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

The Sox plan this offseason has been insufferable to this point. I’m generally optimistic when it comes to the team but this is brutal. If they trade for Price that will just put it over the top. IMO, the pivot I suggested is a far wiser course than trading for another 34 year old overpaid has-been and thinking that puts you over the top. Plus, we know Hahn is effective in those types of trades based on history (those trades being the ones where he trades a young big leaguer for elite prospects, not the other way around).

Wow, when JUSTgottaBELIEVE is pessimistic on the offseason, you know it’s bad.  He’s one of the most optimistic posters here!

28 minutes ago, fathom said:

They shouldn’t rebuild, but at least we know our owner is smarter than the dumb Bulls owner that let the same Front Office oversee multiple rebuilds.

Honest question - what is the succession plan when Jerry passes?  Is there one?  Is the expectation that his family will run the franchise?