Time to rebuild the rebuild?

JUSTgottaBELIEVE

2 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

There’s a very real possibility they miss the playoffs in 2020 and 2021. Then you’re in the position the Indians are in currently. Ride it out with your guys and possibly let Moncada and Gio walk for nothing except a comp pick after 2023 or trade them to get some value in return. Either way, you’ve burned another 1-2 years of the next wave of prospects and TA, Eloy, etc in the process.

Based on what?^ It is currently December 13th, still early in the offseason. 

The AL Central is the most winnable division in the MLB, I do not buy your argument at all.

1 hour ago, mqr said:

They're going to be in the hunt for the division. Idk why people aren't seeing that the Twins have just as big a pitching problem as we do and the Indians are about to dump their best guys. They probably won't win it, but they're going to hang around. 

The Twins won 101 games and the division last year.

We won 72.

They have a pitching problem but they're miles ahead of us.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

have you looked at the pitching options remaining on the FA and trade markets?

There are plenty of options left to fill this rotation.  Will they sign them?  Can't say for sure, but it is still totally feasible for the Sox to clean up the rotation between now and ST.  

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Have you seen the Sox starting pitching depth chart??

It is mid December in the offseason, wait to judge the roster until March

Despite fans being impatient, the front office is aware of what the rotation and roster currently look like. If you are patient I will bet they add at least 1-2 starting pitchers, a bullpen piece or two and likely position players

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

There are plenty of options left to fill this rotation.  Will they sign them?  Can't say for sure, but it is still totally feasible for the Sox to clean up the rotation between now and ST.  

Clean up does not equal a push for the playoffs.

Just now, soxfan49 said:

Is the Sox pitching really that bad if Kopech and Cease are decent or good + Lopez takes a step?

I would not expect Kopech to be pitching in the majors until May/June at the earliest. April should be spent in AAA, and they will see how it goes from there. 

Working back from TJS takes time, anything we get from him this season is gravy

1 hour ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

It’s highly unlikely the WS are a legitimate contender in 2020 based on how this offseason has transpired. It’s also become apparent that the timelines of the first wave of prospects, specifically Moncada and Giolito, do not align particularly well with the next wave of prospects and long term pieces like Eloy and Timmy, especially if 2020 is another lost season.

I’m sure the fans would crucify them for this so they won’t do it BUT I’d strongly consider trading Moncada and Giolito right now while they are at peak value. If someone like Lindor can potentially fetch May and Lux from the Dodgers, what would a guy like Moncada return in his final season of pre-arb? The demand for 3b around the league is huge right now (partly why the Rockies said they would listen on Arenado). Same with Giolito (goes without saying that demand for high end starting pitcher is through the roof). Why not target high end, MLB ready prospects for those two so that they better align with the forthcoming promotions of Lubo, Madrigal, and Vaughn?

Prospects I would target in trades:

May, Lux, Gray (Dodgers)

Adell, Marsh (Angels)

Gore, Patino, Baez (Padres)

Pache, Wright, Waters (Braves)

Come on

Anyway, to the subject of this thread, it's too early to think about this right now but I hope someone in the organization realizes that they're on a path that could lead them right here.

Giolito and Moncada can grow their value by having 2 good years in a row and possibly by being even better this year, and so if we were going to do this, the first time we should think about it is after 2020. Things start getting a little dicey after 2020 because the roster starts getting worse at the same time as their cost rises by more than $20 million, but for 2021 that should still be manageable. 

If a couple things go wrong, if there's a normal number of injuries or Eloy struggles or something like that, there is a legitimate path that takes this team to deciding after 2021 whether they have to dump these guys having never even come close to the playoffs. It doesn't have to end that way, but that's one possibility we have left open. That's the decision we're making by bringing in rebuilding players for 2020, it's 2021 or nothing and it all has to be done without any big contracts, so if anything at all goes wrong then we're in a true mess.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

have you looked at the pitching options remaining on the FA and trade markets?

Yeah, besides Wheeler (who we offered the most money to), the next best three are still available. We all knew coming into the off-season that Cole and Strasburg were not realistic. Being upset about that is completely fair, but we all knew that a couple months ago, so I'm not sure why people are upset right now.  When we didn't land Wheeler, did people all of a sudden become mad that we weren't going to target Cole or Strasburg, as if it was brand new information? Like I said, it's fine to be upset about that, but the timing of the complaining is weird to me.

I completely removed Cole and Strasburg from my thinking months ago, so the way I see it is that there were four pitchers to look at coming into the off-season. We offered Wheeler the most money and he chose to sign somewhere else. Fine...it sucks, but now we move on. The other three are still available, and trades are still an option as well. I have no idea why people are so upset. If March rolls around and we are in the same position, then we should be furious.

Edited by SoxBlanco

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

Clean up does not equal a push for the playoffs.

If (and big if) the Sox signed Ryu and say Walker or Wood...they're very much in the mix to win 82-88 games, which very well could be enough to win this division.  No way the Twins repeat their miracle 2020 season, the Indians are likely to tear it apart, and the Tigers and Royals are two of the worst teams in baseball.

We all knew 2020 was probably a pipedream to be a WS contender, so not sure why the last 10 days changed that, unless your opinion of the Grandal signing was that the Sox were going to follow that up by completely emptying the clip at the WM.  Which was also a pipedream.  But I will never convince you to view anything White Sox related in anything other than a pessimistic lens, so I don't know why I bother responding.   

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

If (and big if) the Sox signed Ryu and say Walker or Wood...they're very much in the mix to win 82-88 games, which very well could be enough to win this division.  No way the Twins repeat their miracle 2020 season, the Indians are likely to tear it apart, and the Tigers and Royals are two of the worst teams in baseball.

We all knew 2020 was probably a pipedream to be a WS contender, so not sure why the last 10 days changed that, unless your opinion of the Grandal signing was that the Sox were going to follow that up by completely emptying the clip at the WM.  Which was also a pipedream.  But I will never convince you to view anything White Sox related in anything other than a pessimistic lens, so I don't know why I bother responding.   

How accurate has the pessimistic lens been for the last decade? 

• Thanks 1