Time to rebuild the rebuild?

JUSTgottaBELIEVE

21 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

It doesn't make you a bad person if you want to maximize your earnings to assist in the future stability of generations of your family.

Never said it did. Good ones meaning he is a hell of a guy off the field too. 

Edited by SoxAce

9 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Not only this year, but next year’s class as well.  And that’s before Betts or Springer are off the table and we have another fruitless offseason of Joc Pederson Talk, Version 3.0

This winter’s class of free agent starting pitchers is much stronger than next winter’s. If they cannot find a way to add a significant contributor in this class, good luck with that next winter.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Never said it did. Good ones meaning he is a hell of a guy off the field too. 

Gotcha. My bad. Definitely agree. I'll worry about the white sox losing a superstar while being good when it actually happens. Call me crazy but one thing I actually trust this organization to do is take care of the good/great ones.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Gotcha. My bad. Definitely agree. I'll worry about the white sox losing a superstar while being good when it actually happens. Call me crazy but one thing I actually trust this organization to do is take care of the good/great ones.

When?  Konerko?  Baines at the end of his career?  Now Abreu?

If you go back to the 90’s, we’ve almost always let star talent walk eventually.

Obviously, many come back into the fold as team ambassadors, but it’s not like we have broken the bank to extend All-Star, in their prime White Sox players.

Think about how many of those 90’s players were cast aside.   They did the same with Ordonez, Lee and Durham.  Thomas, McDowell and Ventura, etc.    Buehrle.   Dye.   We held onto the 2005-08 core for a long time, sure, but those weren’t ever true superstar players either that would be garnering $200+ million on the FA market.  They were all aging veterans.

Edited by caulfield12

11 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Robin Ventura, Jack McDowell, White Flag trade, Alex Fernandez, Ray Durham, Maggs Ordonez, Mark Buehrle, Chris Sale.They re signed Konerko but let him become a free agent. If the Sox don’t win the WS in 2005’ and he isn’t the ALCS MVP, and hits one of the biggest home runs in team history in that WS, he almost certainly makes the list.

Who they take care of are the guys that sign team friendly extensions. Once they are beyond that, they generally become former White Sox.

ironically it is my opinion that the trades that brought many of the candidates for team friendly extensions, are exactly what may be used against them in refusing the offer. You sign them because you like where you are and it sets you up in case of injury. But knowing you might wind up somewhere else you may not  like while on this deal may turn the player off and make them think taking their chances with their health, performance, and arb, is the better route.

Edited by Dick Allen

12 hours ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

This winter’s class of free agent starting pitchers is much stronger than next winter’s. If they cannot find a way to add a significant contributor in this class, good luck with that next winter.

Besides the fact that it doesn’t make any sense to burn a year of control with our current team without going for it.

15 hours ago, Thad Bosley said:

This.  
Steve Stone captured it well yesterday when he noted that the offseason isn’t even halfway over, so people should just relax at this point.  He followed that up with if we’re in the same position in February that we are now, then complain away.  

At this point, I could care less what Steve Stone says. His arrogant tone is condescending. I wish he'd stop telling fans what to think. If we want to complain, we'll complain. Seven straight losing seasons will do that. 

8 hours ago, NWINFan said:

At this point, I could care less what Steve Stone says. His arrogant tone is condescending. I wish he'd stop telling fans what to think. If we want to complain, we'll complain. Seven straight losing seasons will do that. 

I think you and I are essentially on the same page, in the sense that any and all of what Hahn, Williams, or Reinsdorf says these days amount to nothing but empty words.  That we are officially in “Shut up.  Just do it.” mode with these clowns.  

For me, and this was my point with sharing Stone’s post, but there is still time to make some meaningful moves this offseason.  Not a whole lot of time, but some time.  Six weeks or so until Soxfest, so if they come through with the types of acquisitions between now and then they’ve been claiming they’ll make, terrific.  It should be a grand, ‘ol time at McCormick Place that weekend.  

If it’s another collection of the typical dumpster dive moves we’ve been accustomed to seeing in recent offseasons, well, it won’t be as much fun at the fan fest as it should be.