Expectations

mmmmmbeeer

This team right now is around a .500 team. The pitching is the big concern with out 2 quality starters , they go nowhere unless they get extremely lucky.

What I expect is the Sox to get us a good free agent pitcher,  if not two as they have not spent money in 10 years. Pitching win games! When teams win they have pitchers!  I don’t care about Machado type players. Get pitchers that keep the ball down and in the yard. 

What I think will happen Is the Sox will trade for very average players or over the hill players and trade away prospects that will prove to be bad moves. Once the cupboard is bear they will say we couldn’t do anything to bring in anyone good because the system didn’t have the players anyone wants and another 7-8 years of garbage teams. 

We have fielders but Pitchers both starters and relievers need to be drastically improved or developed. 

Edited by Lightning

9 minutes ago, Lightning said:

This team right now is around a .500 team. The pitching is the big concern with out 2 quality starters , they go nowhere unless they get extremely lucky.

What I expect is the Sox to get us a good free agent pitcher,  if not two as they have not spent money in 10 years. Pitching win games! When teams win they have pitchers!  I don’t care about Machado type players. Get pitchers that keep the ball down and in the yard. 

What I think will happen Is the Sox will trade for very average players or over the hill players and trade away prospects that will prove to be bad moves. Once the cupboard is bear they will say we couldn’t do anything to bring in anyone good because the system didn’t have the players anyone wants and another 7-8 years of garbage teams. 

We have fielders but Pitchers both starters and relievers need to be drastically improved or developed. 

I agree with you that our big need is two starters and two relievers.  Obviously we all want those 4 pitchers to be the best we can get our hands on.  If they are only average plus...that will be a massive upgrade over last year.  We had 72 wins last year with upgrades in Center, Right, Catcher, DH, 2nd Base and both Starting and Relief pitching.  After we see who those pitchers are we will be better able to judge the win total.  I would guess somewhere between 85 & 90.

2 hours ago, Lightning said:

While I agree with you that they will probably trade for SP, and I think they should, it won't have much of an effect on this current team in regard to losing prospects.  One of the positives of having such a young  almost complete team is that those prospects don't have any MLB path to this team.

Edited by BackDoorBreach

29 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

While I agree with you that they will probably trade for SP, and I think they should, it won't have much of an effect on this current team in regard to losing prpspects.  One of the positives of having such a young  almost complete team is that those prospects don't have any MLB path to this team.

Who are we taking about?

Vaughn and Collins are the only players who would be blocked...and, right now, Collins is getting 70-75% of the at-bats as a LH DH and part time catcher.

16 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Who are we taking about?

Vaughn and Collins are the only players who would be blocked...and, right now, Collins is getting 70-75% of the at-bats as a LH DH and part time catcher.

Anybody after Vaughn is pretty tradeable imo.  I would also include Vaughn I guess if we were getting a premium back, not that I think the WSox would.

Any of the OF prospects we have are 100% expendable.  All of our pitchers in the minors are expendable.  Maybe you hold on to Thompson/Dalquist because they are unknown and maybe 1 of Dunning or Steiver for insurance but it shouldn't even sting if the FO trades for a TOR caliber SP.  

They played nearly .500 ball before the ASB when injury and lack of depth caught up to them.  Played pretty decent down the stretch too.  Looked poised to make some timely additions in the offseason.  

Not sure if anyone really thought playoff contention was realistic coming into this offseason.  But .500+ and fighting for a Wild Card should be within the realm of possibilities if the FO could or would add meaningful pieces. 

I believe in this lineup so much that I expect playoffs. If Giolito repeats and Kopech and Cease both live up to their potential, it's a team that contends for a title. 

This lineup should be tremendous. I truly believe Robert comes up and is Juan Soto-esque in that he makes an immediate impact. 

42 minutes ago, scs787 said:

I believe in this lineup so much that I expect playoffs. If Giolito repeats and Kopech and Cease both live up to their potential, it's a team that contends for a title. 

This lineup should be tremendous. I truly believe Robert comes up and is Juan Soto-esque in that he makes an immediate impact. 

You are a man after my own heart.🙂