Martin Perez thread

Buehrle>Wood

Perez was actually pretty good in the first couple months last year, but then fell apart.  I made a lot of money on Perez last year - took the over on 4.20 ERA early in the year when he was dicing with several of my twins fan buddies.  Easy money.  

3 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I was going to go with Perez as a White  Sox target earlier this offseason as a case of they always get their man. They tried really hard to get him for Alex Rios back in the day. But he has been pretty bad so I thought this probably was a time where they moved on,

Hahn never moves on from his targets (see Mazara).

20 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I was going to go with Perez as a White  Sox target earlier this offseason as a case of they always get their man. They tried really hard to get him for Alex Rios back in the day. But he has been pretty bad so I thought this probably was a time where they moved on,

He had decent success with a cutter last year, thought he would make sense and be productive. Only 29 still.

The handful of interesting bounce back pitchers are dwindling. 

Ideally they can get Miley. 

15 hours ago, bmags said:

He had decent success with a cutter last year, thought he would make sense and be productive. Only 29 still.

The handful of interesting bounce back pitchers are dwindling. 

Ideally they can get Miley. 

Idea on the cost ? I'm thinking 2 years in the $25-30M range, After 2019 I'm thinking he's more than a 1 year deal.

He's very interesting to say the least. Pitched very well  most of the season then had a late season meltdown most likely due to fatigue since the year before he pitched only 80.2 innings. For the last 2 he's pitched pretty good even if one was an abbreviated season.

Since you've been wanting to play GM lately my question was more like if you were the GM what would you pay for him if you thought there was stiff competition for him in light of the high pitching prices for quality starters. That's why I went more than 1 year on him.

5 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

He's very interesting to say the least. Pitched very well  most of the season then had a late season meltdown most likely due to fatigue since the year before he pitched only 80.2 innings. For the last 2 he's pitched pretty good even if one was an abbreviated season.

Since you've been wanting to play GM lately my question was more like if you were the GM what would you pay for him if you thought there was stiff competition for him in light of the high pitching prices for quality starters. That's why I went more than 1 year on him.

Ha. Yeah what’s left is depressing. Assuming we give up in ryu/Keuchel/bum I’d still be fine with the Charlie Morton contract for Miley.

After that...a lotta woof. 

I like the idea of getting old Alex wood back but am genuinely concerned that he’ll be injured all year. Backs aren’t fun.

6 minutes ago, bmags said:

Ha. Yeah what’s left is depressing. Assuming we give up in ryu/Keuchel/bum I’d still be fine with the Charlie Morton contract for Miley.

After that...a lotta woof. 

I like the idea of getting old Alex wood back but am genuinely concerned that he’ll be injured all year. Backs aren’t fun.

2/$30M seems like way too much for Miley IMO.

So basically what I said 2 yrs and $30M. Let's say we get one of R/K/B how do you approach 5th starter then ? I really like what the Mets did with Wacha low base salary filled with incentives based on performance and durability . That could also appeal to Miley though he's probably near the top of the class of leftovers and probably looking for more guaranteed money.

2 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

So basically what I said 2 yrs and $30M. Let's say we get one of R/K/B how do you approach 5th starter then ? I really like what the Mets did with Wacha low base salary filled with incentives based on performance and durability . That could also appeal to Miley though he's probably near the top of the class of leftovers and probably looking for more guaranteed money.

The nice thing about Keuchel/Bum is I just have high confidence in availability. With Ryu I’d really want someone we know will be around. Nova becomes a real option then. 

Otherwise you can take those risks with Walker as 5th starter. 

Id like them to give the Ervin Santana deal to Salazar and see if they can get a team option with a guaranteed buyout in year 2.

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

It might be the price you have to pay but relatively small amount for a guy who can hopefully  pitch 165 inning and give you around a 4 ERA.

I don’t see that price being even close to being realistic.  Let’s all remember how good Morton was when he signed his 2/$30M deal.  Yes he took a hometown discount, but Miley is nowhere near the same level ability-wise and also is 33 years old.  He may get a two year deal, but I’d wager it’s around $20M max.