Why has Hahn failed?

NCsoxfan

While it’s obvious that Hahn has come up woefully short, it’s interesting to think about WHY.

in my opinion there’s three major roles of his job in free agency. Identify, recruit, and execute. It’s difficult to tell which have been the major problems.

-Outside of identifying obvious stars, we know he hasn’t identified many successful buy low candidates. So in terms of the latter I think he’s failed.

-Recruiting: It’s possible he’s done ok here. We heard Machado was interested, he landed Grandal, etc. I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt here.

-Execution: here’s where the major failure seems to lie. Whether it’s coming up one inch short or one mile, he seems to fail over and over. Maybe we have failed to “overpay” in order to get the job done. We don’t know, but this is a performance based job and he’s not gotten the job done.

What do you all think? Which areas has Hahn come up short on? Other ones that I’m missing such as managing expectations?

I think he thought Jerry would actually spend money.

Rather, Jerry meant he would only spend more than he has ever spent (Grandal).

Honestly, it is embarrassing that we have zero $100 million contracts.  I mean, KC has had one and we have not.  

The top 3 Angels: Trout, Pujols and Rendon will make more than the entire White Sox roster next year.

This will not win you baseball games, not consistently, not multiple championships.  

• Like 4

He comes up short when he talks like the team is not trying to win games.  Even a a week or so ago he was saying how they aren't going to compete this season . Have confidence in your team every year! Never sandbag to try to get better draft picks! Instill an attitude of winning!

He did a good job signing McCann, Soria, Fat Albers for half a season.

But it’s impossible to make the case there is a demonstrably WORSE GM in MLB today.

He doesn’t have the right underdog type of mentality necessary for fronting a mid market team.  He always seems more concerned with how he’s perceived than being judged on what he actually accomplishes.   There are typically more excuses and rationalizations than actual, concrete results.   

The Brewers, Twins, A’s, Rays, Indians and Reds are all examples of teams who are embracing they’re limited financial resources and still putting a competitive product on the field.

This mentality is why Madrigal, in particular...will quickly become a fan favorite.

In the end, we’re not the Knicks or even the Marlins/Mariners/Orioles...but we’re not exactly relevant either, with the Machado and Wheeler situations just reinforcing that.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

Bad scouts, bad player evaluation, constrained by finances, constrained by the "family" dynamic that ownership has tried to sell as genuine but is actually just playing favorites, constrained by his need to appear lawyer-ly and aloof, and, past all that, just hindered by bad judgement. It's hardly ALL his fault, but i'm sure he'll end up taking the blame.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, fathom said:

Because Mr. and Mrs. Preller gave birth to AJ

You can add the Beane Family and Ron Washington as well.  

Of course, for all the shots KW took in Moneyball over Chad Bradford or Foulke, but Cotts turned out to be a key X factor in 2005, when all was actually said and done.  Olive was transformed into F.García.

I dunno guys.  I think the rebuild is an A+ so far.  I think the Sox have way more talent in the minors than most realize.  While the top is indeed super heavy, I don’t think the system is top heavy if that makes sense.  

If Burger, Hansen, Burdi, Adolfo, Kopech & Rutherford etc. all suck this year then I may join the critics, but I just have a feeling that the farm depth is going to come roaring back this year.  If that happens watch out because most of the ML roster is already filled. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

I dunno guys.  I think the rebuild is an A+ so far.  I think the Sox have way more talent in the minors than most realize.  While the top is indeed super heavy, I don’t think the system is top heavy if that makes sense.  

If Burger, Hansen, Burdi, Adolfo, Kopech & Rutherford etc. all suck this year then I may join the critics, but I just have a feeling that the farm depth is going to come roaring back this year.  If that happens watch out because most of the ML roster is already filled. 

We’re so far from making the playoffs it’s not even funny. Do you really believe it’s an A+? If not, I applaud your dry sense of humor.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, NCsoxfan said:

While it’s obvious that Hahn has come up woefully short, it’s interesting to think about WHY.

in my opinion there’s three major roles of his job in free agency. Identify, recruit, and execute. It’s difficult to tell which have been the major problems.

-Outside of identifying obvious stars, we know he hasn’t identified many successful buy low candidates. So in terms of the latter I think he’s failed.

-Recruiting: It’s possible he’s done ok here. We heard Machado was interested, he landed Grandal, etc. I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt here.

-Execution: here’s where the major failure seems to lie. Whether it’s coming up one inch short or one mile, he seems to fail over and over. Maybe we have failed to “overpay” in order to get the job done. We don’t know, but this is a performance based job and he’s not gotten the job done.

What do you all think? Which areas has Hahn come up short on? Other ones that I’m missing such as managing expectations?

Excuse my french, but how the fuck has he come up woefully short? You cannot make that determination until and if they fail at the rebuild in a couple years. IT IS NOT OVER YET HOLY SHIT. Seriously yall need to get a grip. There are still moves to be made. Anything can happen. Anything can change in an instant. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MysterySource5000 said:

I think he thought Jerry would actually spend money.

Rather, Jerry meant he would only spend more than he has ever spent (Grandal).

Honestly, it is embarrassing that we have zero $100 million contracts.  I mean, KC has had one and we have not.  

The top 3 Angels: Trout, Pujols and Rendon will make more than the entire White Sox roster next year.

This will not win you baseball games, not consistently, not multiple championships.  

The top 3 Angels will make more than the entire Sox roster...yet the Angels will still probably barely hit .500 and miss the playoffs. What does that tell you? Also didn't the Rays make the playoffs last year with one of the lowest payrolls in the game? It's not all about money!!!

45 minutes ago, ScooterMcGee said:

Excuse my french, but how the fuck has he come up woefully short? You cannot make that determination until and if they fail at the rebuild in a couple years. IT IS NOT OVER YET HOLY SHIT. Seriously yall need to get a grip. There are still moves to be made. Anything can happen. Anything can change in an instant. 

FFS, The post very clearly states we’re talking about his performance up until now and not the future.

Yes, anything can happen in the future, but have a reality check in terms of where we’re at right now and how far away from contention it is.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, NCsoxfan said:

FFS, The post very clearly states we’re talking about his performance up until now and not the future.

Yes, anything can happen in the future, but have a reality check in terms of where we’re at right now and how far away from contention it is.

He builds a team with young players and prospects yet you say you can't judge him on the future which he built.

Not an agenda at all.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, NCsoxfan said:

Give me a fucking break. Some of you are making it really hard to read this board lately.

Edited by Chisoxmb35
  • Like 1

People have legitimately lost their minds.  It’s mid-December.  They signed the best catcher on the market.  Then they offered their top SP choice 125 million dollars.  If they did that during the winter meetings instead of the 2 weeks leading up to the meeting, people would be happy.

Sox fans have turned into a bunch of whiny, panicky, wimps.  Get a hold of yourselves.  

The fanbase is in hysterics.  And why? Because they signed an average player who may or may not be the 7th hitter when all is said and done?  

• Like 1