Edwin Encarnacion

Dick Allen

Bruce reported the other day the Sox met with EE’s people. This could be due diligence , it could be something more. If he was brought in to be the main DH, I would think McCann would be the odd man out. He would be strictly a back up catcher being paid over $5 million and a free agent in a year. What kind of package could he bring back in a trade?

Edited by Dick Allen

6 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Bruce reported the other day the Sox met with EE’s people. This could be due diligence , it could be something more. If he was brought in to be the main DH, I would think McCann would be the odd man out. He would be strictly a back up catcher being paid over $5 million and a free agent in a year. What kind of package could he bring back in a trade?

Not much I would think. His salary is a bit high for a backup but the payroll is low and it's only for a year.

5 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

McCann gives me a great deal of comfort having that caliber of backup catcher/DH.  I think he is a bargain and will provide the rest Grandal needs to stay fresh for the year.  Short of an overpay...no interest in trading solid backup players.

• Like 3

Ok so what about Collins?

Encarnacion will be declining. Collins can put up declining Encarnacion numbers this season. Stick with Collins, McCann, and Grandal at DH. Or trade McCann or Collins(only for Benintendi.)

Encarnacion is going to be 37 and hit .244 last season with only 18 doubles. Collins can do that and maybe more.

Edited by Chisox378
  • Like 1

I don’t think they would have signed McCann for 2020 to trade him.  They really like his moxie/clubhouse presence and what he brings to the table with a young pitching staff.

Collins has always been the likely one to move...signing EE would be the nail in the coffin for both Collins and Sheets, unless they still want to hold onto him for 2021 and beyond.

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

I don’t think they would have signed McCann for 2020 to trade him.  They really like his moxie/clubhouse presence and what he brings to the table with a young pitching staff.

Collins has always been the likely one to move...signing EE would be the nail in the coffin for both Collins and Sheets, unless they still want to hold onto him for 2021 and beyond.

?  Why would they ever non tender McCann if they could extract value via trade.  That legit makes no sense.

• Like 1

Here’s the thing, with Grandal around, there is zero chance McCann re signs with the White Sox unless he has a bad year.then you probably don’t want him anyway. Collins is the back up catcher, you could actually let him face right handed starters, and Edwin is still mashing. His bat in the line up every day would really help this team.

A lot of teams are looking for catchers.McCann’s 2019 might have been enough to make one of them give up something  very interesting for his services, and losing him most likely isn’t the difference between winning the WS in 2020 and not. Plus you give him a solid with a chance at more playing time during his free agent year.

6 hours ago, Chisox378 said:

Ok so what about Collins?

Encarnacion will be declining. Collins can put up declining Encarnacion numbers this season. Stick with Collins, McCann, and Grandal at DH. Or trade McCann or Collins(only for Benintendi.)

Encarnacion is going to be 37 and hit .244 last season with only 18 doubles. Collins can do that and maybe more.

I agree. We have enough 1B/DH types already. Mazara isn't much with the glove either. Also, McCann hits lefties pretty well. He could DH and pinch hit against

them while not catching. 5 million is an overpay, but payroll is still pretty low.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Capital G said:

I don't see the point. After missing on a TOR pitcher were not competing this year. Let Collins play and let's see what we have. 

Now, if we trade Collins as part of a package for a SP then fine... let's sign EE.

Yeah there isn't any reason to sign EE.  Let Collins get those ABs.

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

Here’s the thing, with Grandal around, there is zero chance McCann re signs with the White Sox unless he has a bad year.then you probably don’t want him anyway. Collins is the back up catcher, you could actually let him face right handed starters, and Edwin is still mashing. His bat in the line up every day would really help this team.

A lot of teams are looking for catchers.McCann’s 2019 might have been enough to make one of them give up something  very interesting for his services, and losing him most likely isn’t the difference between winning the WS in 2020 and not. Plus you give him a solid with a chance at more playing time during his free agent year.

I think this makes a lot of sense but man it feels hard to pull trigger on.

You should definitely call up Mets on him though.

I obviously missed the memo on the great Zach Collins that barely Hit 250 in the minors and sucked when he was brought up. His defensive skills have been questioned and now his bat. Yet this board loves the guy. If we acquired Collins in a trade this board would crucify Hahn. I think a lot of people fall in love with minor league junk because they met them at a game or know his girlfriend. The guy hasnt proven a thing. He is a third catcher or a bat off the bench on his best day. He frightens no pitcher in this league  and has a giant hole in his swing. I will take the established 30 hr guy with 100 RBI’s. Sandwich him in the middle of the order and let him go back to back with abreu or Jimenez. Your not a winner with Zach Collins as your dh. 

Edited by quickman
Mis spell
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

29 minutes ago, quickman said:

I obviously missed the memo on the great Zach Collins that barely Hit 250 in the minors and sucked when he was brought up. His defensive skills have been questioned and now his bat. Yet this board loves the guy. If we acquired Collins in a trade this board would crucify Hahn. I think a lot of people fall in love with minor league junk because they met them at a game or know his girlfriend. The guy hasnt proven a thing. He is a third catcher or a bat off the bench on his best day. He frightens no pitcher in this league  and has a giant hole in his swing. I will take the established 30 hr guy with 100 RBI’s. Sandwich him in the middle of the order and let him go back to back with abreu or Jimenez. Your not a winner with Zach Collins as your dh. 

He had 100 ABs.

• Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, quickman said:

Eventually even EE will begin to suck. He's 37  and getting older by the day. I'm not in love with ZC either, but he did have a .960 OPS at Charlotte last year.

The only way to know if he'll hit is by giving him 200-300 plate appearances. Lots of good MLB players struggle a bit at first.

• Like 1

Despite the desire  some of us have to give  Collins half a season in the majors to prove himself, it is probably unrealistic to think that he would be able to hold down a roster spot as a DH/third catcher.

Collins has very limited trade value. Actually, it may never be higher than it is right now. I hate to imagine Collins having an unimpressive Spring Training  and being issued a one-way ticket to Charlottesville.  If McCann isn't traded, that could make that more likely to happen. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, quickman said:

Hates Collins yet likes the Mazara acquisition, who is proven mediocrity.  Makes sense...

2 hours ago, zisk said:

Eventually even EE will begin to suck. He's 37  and getting older by the day. I'm not in love with ZC either, but he did have a .960 OPS at Charlotte last year.

The only way to know if he'll hit is by giving him 200-300 plate appearances. Lots of good MLB players struggle a bit at first.

Might already be the case.  He looked lost at the plate in the playoffs.

3 minutes ago, bschmaranz said:

Might already be the case.  He looked lost at the plate in the playoffs.

His wrc+ was 129 last year. He is an older version of JDMartinez , obviously a notch or two below, but so will be his paycheck. It is an opportunity to improve the team and it will cost less than Machados friends. To me it's a no brainer.  I like McCann. I was one of the few who wasn't up in arms the Sox signed him last year, but Grandal seals his fate. Trade him, get something, save the cash,  if the team isn't winning, flip EE. So for a slight bump in payroll you get EE in your line up and a prospect or two or a reliever with some upside.

3 hours ago, quickman said:

Good to see you posting back on here again. I read for the same reason you do, for the hot stove news nuggets and conversation but skim through the mass hysteria.

From what I saw when Collins was up, he was a pile of hot garbage. That doesn’t mean he was as bad at AAA, but it does indicate this will be a make or break year for him as he will be 25.

I don’t understand why Encarnacion would be added to the mix, especially before they address their pitching flaws, unless they are intending on dealing Collins or McCann. There are a lot of holes to fill still.