Edwin Encarnacion

Dick Allen

19 minutes ago, The Beast said:

Good to see you posting back on here again. I read for the same reason you do, for the hot stove news nuggets and conversation but skim through the mass hysteria.

From what I saw when Collins was up, he was a pile of hot garbage. That doesn’t mean he was as bad at AAA, but it does indicate this will be a make or break year for him as he will be 25.

I don’t understand why Encarnacion would be added to the mix, especially before they address their pitching flaws, unless they are intending on dealing Collins or McCann. There are a lot of holes to fill still.

They should be able to walk and chew bubble gum. 

For whatever reason, the secondary pitching market Ryu/MadBum/DK is at a stand still it seems. I'm sure they're invested in that, but while they are waiting, they shouldn't ignore other areas of the team. 

39 minutes ago, The Beast said:

Good to see you posting back on here again. I read for the same reason you do, for the hot stove news nuggets and conversation but skim through the mass hysteria.

From what I saw when Collins was up, he was a pile of hot garbage. That doesn’t mean he was as bad at AAA, but it does indicate this will be a make or break year for him as he will be 25.

I don’t understand why Encarnacion would be added to the mix, especially before they address their pitching flaws, unless they are intending on dealing Collins or McCann. There are a lot of holes to fill still.

Didn't Collins look quite a lot better at the plate his 2nd time up? I thought that was the case, but at the end of the season I wasn't paying close attention.

24 minutes ago, zisk said:

Didn't Collins look quite a lot better at the plate his 2nd time up? I thought that was the case, but at the end of the season I wasn't paying close attention.

Yep, he spent some more time with a certain Frank Menechino and looked better.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, scs787 said:

While I think the McCann/Collins DH platoon could be serviceable, EE could be the Sox Nelson Cruz. 

Trade Collins++ for a starter and let McCann be Giolitos personal catcher while maybe getting in some games vs LHP. 

Or LaRoche...

Edited by caulfield12

3 hours ago, scs787 said:

They should be able to walk and chew bubble gum. 

For whatever reason, the secondary pitching market Ryu/MadBum/DK is at a stand still it seems. I'm sure they're invested in that, but while they are waiting, they shouldn't ignore other areas of the team. 

But why Encarnacion, is the team supposed to be immobile with catching, 1B and DH types?

2 hours ago, zisk said:

Evidently, but he was garbage when they called him up the first time. Let’s hope the momentum the second time carries into this year even though he may be at AAA.

37 minutes ago, The Beast said:

But why Encarnacion, is the team supposed to be immobile with catching, 1B and DH types?

I mean, 1B, DH, and catchers typically are indeed slow, league wide.

I understand the Sox are fairly slow on the corners as well, but does that mean they should go with the "Speedy" Collins/McCann duo over Encarnacion?? Or sacrifice some power and throw an unnamed speedster at DH? 

1 hour ago, scs787 said:

I mean, 1B, DH, and catchers typically are indeed slow, league wide.

I understand the Sox are fairly slow on the corners as well, but does that mean they should go with the "Speedy" Collins/McCann duo over Encarnacion?? Or sacrifice some power and throw an unnamed speedster at DH? 

Encarnacion doesn’t matter without pitching. I just meant they can’t have too many 1B/DH/C options on the roster.

• Like 1

If you aren’t going to improve pitching, might as well go and make the best lineup possible. Imagine how many Runs this lineup produces:

Robert -CF

Moncada-3rd

Abreu- 1B

Encarnacion-DH

Eloy-LF

Grandal- C

Anderson - SS

Mazara- RF 

Madrigal- 2B

🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥

• Like 1

1 hour ago, poppysox said:

Unless McCann or Collins are used in a trade...no reason to have Encarnacion since the DH position is already filled.

Encarnacion is a far better DH option than McCann/Collins at this stage. The 26 man roster allows keeping three catchers to be easier, but EE would be the first legitimate DH we have had in awhile. A one year deal for around $10-12 million should get it done. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Orlando said:

If you aren’t going to improve pitching, might as well go and make the best lineup possible. Imagine how many Runs this lineup produces:

Robert -CF

Moncada-3rd

Abreu- 1B

Encarnacion-DH

Eloy-LF

Grandal- C

Anderson - SS

Mazara- RF 

Madrigal- 2B

🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥

They have to bring someone in. Saw a graphic on Twitter the other day that showed if they truly intend on starting Kopech in Charlotte, the Opening Day rotation is Giolito, Lopez, Cease, Covey, Fulmer. If they're not getting Ryu or trading for anyone significant, it might be a "development year and sign 2 potential bounce-back type arms and hope to catch lightning in a bottle in a trash division" type of year, which at this point, it may very well be (I don't want them giving up anything significant yet).

Edited by soxfan2014

3 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

They have to bring someone in. Saw a graphic on Twitter the other day that showed if they truly intend on starting Kopech in Charlotte, the Opening Day rotation is Giolito, Lopez, Cease, Covey, Fulmer. If they're not getting Ryu or trading for anyone significant, it might be a "development year and sign 2 potential bounce-back type arms and hope to catch lightning in a bottle in a trash division" type of year, which at this point, it may very well be (I don't want them giving up anything significant yet).

I'm fine going with one bargain bin type starter, but they must either trade for or sign at least one quality option. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Orlando said:

Robert -CF

Moncada-3rd

Abreu- 1B

Encarnacion-DH

Eloy-LF

Grandal- C

Anderson - SS

Mazara- RF 

Madrigal- 2B

🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥

I'm kinda with you here.

2 hours ago, poppysox said:

Unless McCann or Collins are used in a trade...no reason to have Encarnacion since the DH position is already filled.

Yeah, I don't want him at all.  There is no reason to add him this year.  If they would have got a legitimate SP and RF wasn't a non-tender candidate sure.

30 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Then everybody needs to be fired.  They have a payroll of 80 million dollars and the entire core is up next year outside of Vaughn.

1 hour ago, Orlando said:

Robert -CF

Moncada-3rd

Abreu- 1B

Encarnacion-DH

Eloy-LF

Grandal- C

Anderson - SS

Mazara- RF 

Madrigal- 2B

🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥

Sox were 9th worst in Runs Scored in 2019.  7th worst in Runs Allowed, and 7th worst in Run Differential.  Every playoff team except Milwaukee had a run differential over +100.  Does that line up make up for the Sox -124 run differential to even get above water?  Tough hill to climb with half of a major league starting rotation.