Edwin Encarnacion

Dick Allen

10 minutes ago, HahnsKiddieTable said:

Oh dear, Hector bomb.  As long as it isn’t Frank Castillo, I guess.

The Blue Jays just signed Travis Shaw so I wonder if they are still in on EE.  I don’t see the fit for the Brewers after they signed Smoak, with EE being a 1B/DH.  And the Rays will always cheap out.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

28 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

Bumping this thread because this seems like a possibility for our next move (along with a bullpen arm). Although, I still wonder what happens with Collins if we sign EE.  Does he just stay in AAA this year?

I honestly think McCann would be the odd man out.  They gave Grandal the biggest contract in team history,  so his catching opportunities will be limited, and if the team sign EE, are they really going to have McCann DH vs lefties? They probably could get a fairly interesting reliever for him or include him in a package for an even better one.

I posted this in another thread, but it belongs here, in this discussion about E. E.:

EE only played in 109 games, last year. He may be almost 37, but he can still hit. He also hits both RH and LH pitching, pretty equally. I realize that he is not likely to play every game, but If he had played a full 162 games, his last year's production projects to be as follows:

2B   HR  RBI                     AVG OBP SLG OPS

26 0 50 127 0 1 86 153 .244 .344 .531 .875

If he can be acquired on a 1 year contract, why not?

Edited by Lillian

1 minute ago, Lillian said:

I posted this in another thread, but it belongs here, in this discussion about E. E.:

EE only played in 109 games, last year. He may be 34, but he can still hit. He also hits both RH and LH pitching, pretty equally. I realize that he is not likely to play every game, but If he had played a full 162 games, his last year's production projects to be as follows:

2B   HR  RBI                     AVG OBP SLG OPS

26 0 50 127 0 1 86 153 .244 .344 .531 .875

EE is actually turning 37 in January but yeah, he can still hit.

9 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

One year deal is fine. 

Collins would have no place to play going forward, tho.

This is the most disturbing part.  Because I don’t think anyone could complain about adding an .850 OPS DH on a cheap one year deal.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

8 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

One year deal is fine. 

Collins would have no place to play going forward, tho.

They can find ABs for Collins if he forces them.

I know the Rays are cheap but they aren't going to shy from a 1-year deal if he can help the team, and EE definitely would.

So I think it's down to us and them. Or the Rangers if they want to get wild with it.

If they sign EE, I would think Collins might be moved. Probably for a reliever as some have guessed along the way. There just doesn't seem to be any at-bats for him if EE comes in. Because Grandal, McCann and Abreu are likely to get some DH at bats as well.

If the Sox acquire E. E., Collins should be in Charlotte, getting playing time. He would be the first to be called up, if either Grandal, or McCann miss any time, due to injury. Considering that McCann is a free agent at the end of this season. Depending upon how well Collins progresses, McCann may not be brought back. This would be the year to find out whether, or not, it would make sense to resign McCann. 

• Like 1

I’m now fully convinced that we should sign EE, really no reason not too. Age doesn’t really matter for a player like him, he can flat out hit, and we need more of that in the lineup. We have so many guys we need to meet or exceed expectations, I’d like more likely outcomes from a couple guys at least. He’s a perfect fit

7 minutes ago, Sarava said:

If they sign EE, I would think Collins might be moved. Probably for a reliever as some have guessed along the way. There just doesn't seem to be any at-bats for him if EE comes in. Because Grandal, McCann and Abreu are likely to get some DH at bats as well.

I think it’s more likely Collins goes to AAA than gets traded for a reliever. I don’t think you should ever give up prospects for a reliever unless it’s the final push for a World Series.

1 minute ago, SoxBlanco said:

I think it’s more likely Collins goes to AAA than gets traded for a reliever. I don’t think you should ever give up prospects for a reliever unless it’s the final push for a World Series.

Hope so. Or in a trade for a real piece. I really don’t want to just give up on Collins. He provides a lot of things this lineup could use. I don’t hate letting him start in AAA, but I definitely wouldn’t like just punting him off for a meh reliever. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I honestly think McCann would be the odd man out.  They gave Grandal the biggest contract in team history,  so his catching opportunities will be limited, and if the team sign EE, are they really going to have McCann DH vs lefties? They probably could get a fairly interesting reliever for him or include him in a package for an even better one.

100% agree.  Add EE to be the primary DH and give Collins his shot as the backup catcher.  Grandal should still be able to get some time at DH & 1B against tough RHP.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

100% agree.  Add EE to be the primary DH and give Collins his shot as the backup catcher.  Grandal should still be able to get some time at DH & 1B against tough RHP.

When you guys say McCann would be the odd man out, do you mean off the roster? Or just barely getting playing time?

Steamer projects Collins and McCann both at about replacement level. One makes the minimum,  one makes ten times that. Plus if your primary 1B and DH, assuming EE is signed are both right handed, you would think the lefty would be more desirable.  It's a back up catcher job. 

2 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

When you guys say McCann would be the odd man out, do you mean off the roster? Or just barely getting playing time?

I would think the Sox would trade him. He would not have much opportunity.  If EE signed, Collins actually fits better.

He could be traded alone or to sweeten a package.  With Grandal around he is a 1 year guy anyway and if Collins flops back up catchers are a dime a dozen

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Steamer projects Collins and McCann both at about replacement level. One makes the minimum,  one makes ten times that. Plus if your primary 1B and DH, assuming EE is signed are both right handed, you would think the lefty would be more desirable.  It's a back up catcher job. 

I'm perfectly fine with selling high-ish on McCann. But hopefully it doesn't affect Giolito's production given that McCann is his personal catcher.