Edwin Encarnacion

Dick Allen

I just think if you bring in EE one of Collins or McCann has to go.  I'd gladly trade McCann in this scenario for anything really.  Sending Collins back to AAA is an option I guess but he really doesn't have much to prove at this point, at least offensively.  He would probably be better served working with Grandal at the C position and they already have a relationship.

Just now, BackDoorBreach said:

I just think if you bring in EE one of Collins or McCann has to go.  I'd gladly trade McCann in this scenario for anything really.  Sending Collins back to AAA is an option I guess but he really doesn't have much to prove at this point, at least offensively.  He would probably be better served working with Grandal at the C position and they already have a relationship.

They've supposedly had a lot of interest in McCann. If I were them, I'd sell high. Collins can handle backup Catcher duties. Everyone just needs to know it's going to be a bit of an adventure back there. 

McCann/Grandal is the ideal RH/LH platoon. at catcher.   Collins deserves a chance to be a back-up catcher....on another team.

No room for minor league talent like Collins on the 2020 roster.

Edited by tray
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

I'm not sure any have to go. This builds depth and options for once. If things go the Sox way a lot of teams will be looking for catching and you can maybe move Collins or McCann. If the Sox are falling short, EE and McCann can be dealt.

If Collins is on the roster he is learning from some good vets. They can show patience and find at bats even if it's in AAA for Collins. Too many options is good, even if rare for the Sox.

2 minutes ago, shakes said:

I'm not sure any have to go. This builds depth and options for once. If things go the Sox way a lot of teams will be looking for catching and you can maybe move Collins or McCann. If the Sox are falling short, EE and McCann can be dealt.

If Collins is on the roster he is learning from some good vets. They can show patience and find at bats even if it's in AAA for Collins. Too many options is good, even if rare for the Sox.

Exactly. I’m not going to complain if Sox move Collins and get good value out of him. But just punting him would be so silly. 

Its crazy to think we are arguing about possibly acquiring too many talented players that we need to get playing time. We should be embracing this as it gives our prospects time to actually be ready to be in the majors and not rushed. It makes us competitive and actually having a shot at the playoffs. And it gives us some options come the trade deadline if we need to make a final push. For the last 14 years we have been selling off scraps for the future because we were out of it. We have been playing the coveys, saladinos, tilson's every day. This is a great change.

Go out and get all the talent you can get and actually attempt to play for now and not the future.

• Like 1

One thing I absolutely love about EE is that he's embracing the importance of launch angle. He had one of the highest average launch angles in baseball last year at 22 degrees. That's 5 degrees higher than his career average. There's a reason he's still hitting bombs at 36 and was on pace to hit almost 50 last year. Launch angle is what a lot of our hitters struggle with badly. Abreu hits the ball hard but almost always on the ground or on a line hence why he doesn't hit as well as his exit velos and hard hit % indicate. Mazara also suffered greatly from low launch angles. I'm not sure if EE's approach will rub off on the other guys on the team, but it can't hurt to have a guy who preaches and practices it.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Exactly. I’m not going to complain if Sox move Collins and get good value out of him. But just punting him would be so silly. 

This. 

I actually wouldn't mind if they traded him, given how questionable his hit tool is. I just don't know how valuable a LH 1B prospect with a questionable hit tool but massive power/OBP is. 

This might be a cray-cray notion, but maybe package Collins and Lopez for Jon Gray? That would give Kopech and Cease a margin for error in 2020. 

Collins and Lopez for Gray: Who says no? 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

This. 

I actually wouldn't mind if they traded him, given how questionable his hit tool is. I just don't know how valuable a LH 1B prospect with a questionable hit tool but massive power/OBP is. 

This might be a cray-cray notion, but maybe package Collins and Lopez for Jon Gray? That would give Kopech and Cease a margin for error in 2020. 

Collins and Lopez for Gray: Who says no? 

Me.

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Why don't you like that deal? 

I don’t want to trade 4 years of Lopez plus Collins for 2 years of Gray. Not saying it’s a horrible proposal, just not really looking to trade Lopez at his lowest. 

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I don’t want to trade 4 years of Lopez plus Collins for 2 years of Gray. Not saying it’s a horrible proposal, just not really looking to trade Lopez at his lowest. 

That's fair enough. 

Would you do Collins/Dunning? 

Edited by Jack Parkman

2 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Wasn't Gallo playing a good center field last year? Why would he of all people need to DH? 

I’ve heard their outfield is supposed to be Gallo, Santana and Calhoun with Choo at DH. I also believe they’re neck and neck with the Cubs for Castellanos.