Edwin Encarnacion

Dick Allen

4 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

What's there to evaluate about Nick Madrigal?

Whether or not he has enough gap power(doubles/triples) to stick in the majors. I'd imagine there's going to be a lot of RFers playing close enough to the IF to make it close at 1B.  That's the one thing I'm concerned about with Madrigal. I also wonder how defensive positioning will affect him. 

I think players with Madrigal's skillset are underrated in today's game, but that type of hitter has to have enough gap power to make up for the lack of HRs. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Whether or not he has enough gap power(doubles/triples) to stick in the majors. I'd imagine there's going to be a lot of RFers playing close enough to the IF to make it close at 1B.  That's the one thing I'm concerned about with Madrigal. I also wonder how defensive positioning will affect him. 

He's had to battle that adjustment since he went to AA watching him. He'll be fine. Like most rookies, it'll take him sime time to adjust but the hit tool is so elite that it won't be long. 

9 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

He's had to battle that adjustment since he went to AA watching him. He'll be fine. Like most rookies, it'll take him sime time to adjust but the hit tool is so elite that it won't be long. 

Listen, I like Madrigal. He's answered most of the questions I've had since he's been drafted.  31 2B, 5 3B and 5 HR just isn't cutting it in the power department. Mostly the bolded. 

I'd like to see him hit 40+ 2B, 5+3B and around 5-8 HR. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Princess Dye said:

McCann would be fantastic depth though. Giolito's turnaround happened on his watch. Also I went back to look at McCann's splits, and his destroying lefties is the one thing that does carry over from 2019 back through his DET years

Giolito’s turnaround happened last offseason but there’s no doubt McCann is his preferred guy. 

30 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

Edwin is such a White Sox move. More low end mediocre players to the line up. The only reason this team is spiking in terms of hope is because the division sucks. 

You mean the guy that had a higher OPS+ last year than anyone else on the current roster other than Moncada?  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2

3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Listen, I like Madrigal. He's answered most of the questions I've had since he's been drafted.  31 2B, 5 3B and 5 HR just isn't cutting it in the power department. Mostly the bolded. 

Yet if he did that 40/5/5-8 in AAA this year, it doesn't necessarily mean he'll do it in Chicago.

I'd bring him up June 1. I'd bring Robert up on May 1.

Newest from Bruce Levine

The White Sox's focus is on adding another solid bat. If Encarnacion isn't the answer, it's possible the White Sox could look to sign another free-agent outfielder like Yasiel Puig to platoon in right field with Nomar Mazara, whom they acquired from the Rangers in a trade at the Winter Meetings.

Encarnacion's father recently passed away, so his focus isn't on baseball right now. The expectation is he'll sign with a team in January.

1 minute ago, soxfan49 said:

Yet if he did that 40/5/5-8 in AAA this year, it doesn't necessarily mean he'll do it in Chicago.

I'd bring him up June 1. I'd bring Robert up on May 1.

Right. That's what I want him to be in Chicago. If he can hit for enough power to keep fielder's honest, I have no doubt he can win batting title after batting title. 

7 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Right. That's what I want him to be in Chicago. If he can hit for enough power to keep fielder's honest, I have no doubt he can win batting title after batting title. 

But you said Hernandez would give them a chance to evaluate Madrigal. You made it sound like you want Madrigal in AAA for another year 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I think players with Madrigal's skillset are underrated in today's game, but that type of hitter has to have enough gap power to make up for the lack of HRs. 

He posted a 150 wRC+ in the AA Southern League. I think he'll be fine.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

You do realize the minor league season is 20+ games shorter?

• Like 2