Edwin Encarnacion

Dick Allen

1 hour ago, fathom said:

How can anyone be upset with these moves?  None of the core prospects are being blocked and no long-term money has been spent that should make it harder to extend the core players 

Agreed.  EE for DH is a no brainer.  And if we aren’t in the thick of things come July, he gets moved for whatever and we can give Collins more playing time at DH assuming he’s still around.  I actually like Collins but using him as a depth piece would be smart to start the season.  And if he forces more playing time great, but he’s not a guy who should automatically be handed a starting role.

• Like 1

Just now, BackDoorBreach said:

I'd love to debate science and biology with you, and multiple thousands of years in human history, but unfortunately this is a Baseball site.  

Seething blue checkmarks trying to change that as mUh sOciAl ConStruCt is a meme.

There’s zero need to have brought it up in the first place

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, iWiN4PreP said:

Edwin is such a White Sox move. More low end mediocre players to the line up. The only reason this team is spiking in terms of hope is because the division sucks. 

What in the fuck?  Encarnacion posted an .875 OPS / 129 wRC+ last year which helped him put up 2.5 fWAR in just 109 games.  We was a better hitter than Jose last year and we just give him $50M.  EE would be an astute signing as his market is very limited and we should be able to get him on a reasonable one year deal.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

I agree with you except at the time Bruce Jenner was the one that was competing against EE's father.

I was quoted and asked a question, I responded.  I'm now done.

She is Caitlin now whether you like or not.  You don't get to decide her history.   The subtle transphobia deserved to be called out as well.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3
  • Love 1

14 minutes ago, daggins said:

Yeah i'm not that worried about getting McCann ABs. He cratered in the 2nd half and should really be limited to B/u catcher anyways. It'd be nice to trade him for an OF or RP but I don't think he should preclude an EE signing.

He really didn't. He was horrendous in July and that's what will bring down his overall second half stats but August and September were good

Edited by soxfan49
  • Like 1

The Sox have no one who could be counted on to catch, if one of Grandal, or McCann got hurt. Catching has to be shared, to begin with, which means that you need at least 2 capable guys. Given how much of a beating they take, it makes sense to have a 3RD catcher available. If they're worried about getting Collins enough at bats, he is not out of options and can therefore stay in AAA, for one more year. They are probably not going to resign McCann, since I assume that he would prefer to go somewhere, to be the primary catcher, rather than remain here and be a back up. Therefore, I would doubt that he will return in 2021. That is when Collins can be promoted. Hopefully by then, another catcher emerges somewhere, to provide the desired depth at that position, because again,  catching depth requires 3, not merely 2 guys. 

Edited by Lillian
  • Like 1

Pretend the Sox sign EE. Come mid-may, the field probably looks like this vs righties:

1B:Abreu

2B:Madrigal

3B:Moncada

SS:TA

LF: Eloy

CF:Robert

RF:Mazara

Catcher: Grandal

DH: EE 

Bench:

C Mccann (probably in mostly vs lefties and for Gio)

C/1B/DH Collins 

OF/IF Leury (starts in RF vs LHP)

OF Engel

IF Mendick (still hope Yolmer comes back as our utility IF though...)

I mean that group really has potential to be very good offensively. I am a little concered about the corner outfield defense and hopefully Anderson has focused on upgrading his defense this offseason.

My question is, who are you putting out there in Center and at 2B to start the season?

2 minutes ago, ScooterMcGee said:

Pretend the Sox sign EE. Come mid-may, the field probably looks like this vs righties:

1B:Abreu

2B:Madrigal

3B:Moncada

SS:TA

LF: Eloy

CF:Robert

RF:Mazara

Catcher: Grandal

DH: EE 

Bench:

C Mccann (probably in mostly vs lefties and for Gio)

C/1B/DH Collins 

OF/IF Leury (starts in RF vs LHP)

OF Engel

IF Mendick (still hope Yolmer comes back as our utility IF though...)

I mean that group really has potential to be very good offensively. I am a little concered about the corner outfield defense and hopefully Anderson has focused on upgrading his defense this offseason.

My question is, who are you putting out there in Center and at 2B to start the season?

Leury or Engle in CF, Mendick at 2B.

It's not ideal but not awful.

4 minutes ago, The Sir said:

If we get Edwin, in all honesty, I like this course of events for this franchise far more than if we blew our entire wad on that douchebag Machado last off-season.

Eh, I wouldn’t be complaining about Machado at 3B and Moncada in RF over Mazara.