Edwin Encarnacion

Dick Allen

1 minute ago, ScooterMcGee said:

Pretend the Sox sign EE. Come mid-may, the field probably looks like this vs righties:

1B:Abreu

2B:Madrigal

3B:Moncada

SS:TA

LF: Eloy

CF:Robert

RF:Mazara

Catcher: Grandal

DH: EE 

Bench:

C Mccann (probably in mostly vs lefties and for Gio)

C/1B/DH Collins 

OF/IF Leury (starts in RF vs LHP)

OF Engel

IF Mendick (still hope Yolmer comes back as our utility IF though...)

I mean that group really has potential to be very good offensively. I am a little concered about the corner outfield defense and hopefully Anderson has focused on upgrading his defense this offseason.

My question is, who are you putting out there in Center and at 2B to start the season?

Honestly, I’d just go with Robert and Madrigal on OD. The window is starting. Why go into the season with Engel and Mendick as starters when you could start grooming two future All Stars at the highest level? That’s spiting the now for the distant future, and 2026 success depends on other factors beyond the retention of those two anyhow. Yeah, I know they’re not actually going to do this, FWIW.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Agreed.  EE for DH is a no brainer.  And if we aren’t in the thick of things come July, he gets moved for whatever and we can give Collins more playing time at DH assuming he’s still around.  I actually like Collins but using him as a depth piece would be smart to start the season.  And if he forces more playing time great, but he’s not a guy who should automatically be handed a starting role.

Yeah I like these moves too. Solid bats. Alot of flexibility and depth. And most importantly all of this was attained without sacrificing prospects. (Minus Steele Walker) very successful offseason. Speaking of Walker, how much control do the Whitesox have with Nomar Mazara in RF? One year? 2 years?

Edited by smellysox
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, smellysox said:

Yeah I like these moves too. Solid bats. Alot of flexibility and depth. And most importantly all of this was attained without sacrificing prospects. (Minus Steele Walker) very successful offseason. Speaking of Walker, how much control do the Whitesox have with Nomar Mazara in RF? One year? 2 years?

Two years via salary arbitration.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, The Sir said:

Honestly, I’d just go with Robert and Madrigal on OD. The window is starting. Why go into the season with Engel and Mendick as starters when you could start grooming two future All Stars at the highest level? That’s spiting the now for the distant future, and 2026 success depends on other factors beyond the retention of those two anyhow. Yeah, I know they’re not actually going to do this, FWIW.

Would love to see both Madrigal and Robert in OD lineup.  I think Madrigal is better than 50/50 to sign an extension.  Robert is probably not likely but you never know.  Neither will be in the OD lineup without signing extensions however.

3 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Would love to see both Madrigal and Robert in OD lineup.  I think Madrigal is better than 50/50 to sign an extension.  Robert is probably not likely but you never know.  Neither will be in the OD lineup without signing extensions however.

Again, why sign Madrigal to an extension when you have no idea about the type of player he will be?  

• Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, smellysox said:

Two years.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, fathom said:

Again, why sign Madrigal to an extension when you have no idea about the type of player he will be?  

And he doesn’t even play a position that gets expensive in arb or should be prohibitive to re-sign.

A power hitting CFer though...

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, fathom said:

From a team perspective...any extension is a gamble in order to save money long term.  In Madrigal & Robert situations the OD lineup is also a factor.  Since you specifically single out Madrigal...I will say I have more faith in Madrigal being a successful long term extension than I had with Eloy at the same time last year.  Obviously extensions differ from player to player.  Extensions for Eloy and Madrigal will differ substantially from extending Robert or Moncada.

2 minutes ago, poppysox said:

From a team perspective...any extension is a gamble in order to save money long term.  In Madrigal & Robert situations the OD lineup is also a factor.  Since you specifically single out Madrigal...I will say I have more faith in Madrigal being a successful long term extension than I had with Eloy at the same time last year.  Obviously extensions differ from player to player.  Extensions for Eloy and Madrigal will differ substantially from extending Robert or Moncada.

The challenge with extending Madrigal right now is it’s hard to value him given his unique skillset and the uncertainty of how the power will develop.  I have no doubt there is a number that the Sox would be willing to offer right now, but Madrigal may not like that figure and bet on himself a bit to prove he’s more than just a slap hitter at the major league level.

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

Wow they are going to be so popular for putting up a suggestive tweet at some time interval before something may or may not happen. 

Love the internet.

Also love how that emoji was started by WSD to signify news could be coming and every Sox blog and/or fan goof has taken it

54 minutes ago, fathom said:

He had an avg exit velocity of 85 mph last year and he didn't hit a single ball harder than 105 mph.  That's in the bottom 20% of all minor leagues and the bottom of MLB.  It's a ton of soft contact and there is no way to tell how that will translate against big league pitchers and shifts.  He simply doesn't impact the baseball.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

He had an avg exit velocity of 85 mph last year and he didn't hit a single ball harder than 105 mph.  That's in the bottom 20% of all minor leagues and the bottom of MLB.  It's a ton of soft contact and there is no way to tell how that will translate against big league pitchers and shifts.  He simply doesn't impact the baseball.

Where did you find exit velocity numbers for a minor leaguer? That's really cool info.

2 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Have you heard that Vaughn supposedly had a ton of triple digit outs last year?

5 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The challenge with extending Madrigal right now is it’s hard to value him given his unique skillset and the uncertainty of how the power will develop.  I have no doubt there is a number that the Sox would be willing to offer right now, but Madrigal may not like that figure and bet on himself a bit to prove he’s more than just a slap hitter at the major league level.

That is the same dynamic at play in every extension.  Players get more money for more years than they are currently guaranteed... kind of insurance against things that could end or hinder their careers.  Teams hope to save some money by paying more than necessary now to have some cost certainty for years down the road.  Sale was a great example of the player wanting the security while Kris Bryant wanted to gamble on himself.  

3 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Basically, he could be more David Eckstein than Jose Altuve if he doesn’t start sacrificing some contact for bat speed.

2 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Basically, he could be more David Eckstein than Jose Altuve if he doesn’t start sacrificing some contact for bat speed.

Eckstein was a very good player.  Anywhere between Eckstein and Altuve will play.

1 minute ago, poppysox said:

That is the same dynamic at play in every extension.  Players get more money for more years than they are currently guaranteed... kind of insurance against things that could end or hinder their careers.  Teams hope to save some money by paying more than necessary now to have some cost certainty for years down the road.  Sale was a great example of the player wanting the security while Kris Bryant wanted to gamble on himself.  

The amount of surplus value teams are getting from early extensions has been ridiculous. Maybe Madrigal flops, but the odds of any extension for a prospect of his caliber going wrong is small and the financial upside of it for teams is enormous. No team in baseball has benefited from extensions more than the White Sox. It's one of the few areas in baseball they're clearly out in front of other teams on and it's something they should continue pursuing.