Edwin Encarnacion

Dick Allen

4 minutes ago, hi8is said:

What happened the other day with dave?

It seems like WSD knew about the Keuchel signing, tweeted about it, then quickly deleted the tweet.

Everyone should not expect any news about EE until after Christmas. His father's funeral arrangements are set for Monday/Tuesday. There very well may be something agreed to, but I can't see EE having it at the top of his priorities considering the circumstances.

• Thanks 1

Dave received a dm that the Sox signed Kuechel. He posted it as a joke. The guy in the dm said “please keep me anonymous so my friend and I don’t get in trouble” when Dave posted the DM screenshot, the guys name was on it. Everyone told him that wasn’t right so he deleted it. He didn’t actually know anything. 

Zack Collins is not someone who should be preventing the Sox from acquiring players like Encarnacion, who can easily provide 35+ HRs and a .350 OBP.

Everyone who wants to compete next year should not be willing to roll the dice on Collins and potentially have a black hole in the DH position.  You can’t survive in the AL that way.  Especially with 80 games at Comsikey.  

A one year deal is not going to cause any harm to the rebuild.  Collins should still be given a decent amount of at bats next season and Encarnacion will only be blocking him for a year.  It’s Vaughn who pretty much renders Collins uselss.  

Edited by Sambuca
  • Thanks 2

I posted my preferred lineup, with E. E. at DH, in another thread. Here it is with realistic projected home run totals, for 2020:

Realistic HOME RUN production, with EE at DH (It could be even better, but this is conservative):

SS Anderson            25

3B Moncada            30

LF Eloy                       40

DH Encarnacion       40

C   Grandal                25    McCann 10

1B Abreu                   30

RF  Mazara                25

CF  Robert                 25

2B Madrigal              5

TAKE THAT TWINKIES!!!!!!  You know how I love having 3 dangerous left handed hitters, in the mix. That's precisely what I have been advocating, for the last several years.

Edited by Lillian
  • Like 3

Who are the remaining suitors besides Sox for EE anyways? Rangers have Choo, Rays have Tsutsugo/Choi, and Blue Jays have Tellez.

EE would be an upgrade for those teams but chances of them going after him are low.

At this point I would be extremely surprised the Sox don’t end up signing him.

1 hour ago, Lillian said:

I posted my preferred lineup, with E. E. at DH, in another thread. Here it is with realistic projected home run totals, for 2020:

Realistic HOME RUN production, with EE at DH (It could be even better, but this is conservative):

3B Moncada            30

DH Encarnacion       40

TAKE THAT TWINKIES!!!!!!  You know how I love having 3 dangerous left handed hitters, in the mix. That's precisely what I have been advocating, for the last several years.

Those all seem very much like best case numbers. 

29 minutes ago, Steve9347 said:

Those all seem very much like best case numbers. 

I disagree. The young players, such as Anderson, Moncada and Eloy, were on pace to produce those kinds of numbers, last season. Each of them missed at least one month, but would have reached those numbers, if they had been healthy. Abreu actually hit 34 homers, if you count the one that they took away from him, because he passed T. A. on the base paths. Encarnacion missed almost the entire last 2 months and still hit 34. Mazara hit 19, but also missed 46 games (1/4 of the season). Moreover, he played with that bad thumb, for most of the first half of the year. He probably has more power than anyone on our roster. If Menechino can help him to unleash it, he could be a monster. Robert also has much more than 25 HR power, but that seems like a reasonable projection, for his rookie year. Granadal hit 28, but I only projected him to hit 25. I don't think that these are merely "best case numbers," although of course, they would be predicated on being able to stay on the field, for the entire year.

Edited by Lillian

3 hours ago, Lillian said:

Realistic HOME RUN production, with EE at DH (It could be even better, but this is conservative)

3B Moncada            30

DH Encarnacion       40

Those numbers are conservative? lol.

Edited by SoxAce
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

Tim Anderson has hit 20 HR once in his career, so projecting 25 is... not conservative.

Your point is well taken, however considering how much time he missed last year, it seems reasonable to me. Stone has consistently insisted that he will ultimately  achieve that kind of power production. At the rate he hit homers last year, he would have hit 23, in a full 162 games. 

24 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I absolutely understand why they'd sign Edwin,  but I'd love to give 130 games to Collins personally. It's risky though.

Doesn’t hurt to add more depth to the lineup. Signing EE and letting Collins start in Charlotte is not a terrible idea. If EE is total shit, Sox can just release him same as Alonso last season.

16 hours ago, bmags said:

And he doesn’t even play a position that gets expensive in arb or should be prohibitive to re-sign.

A power hitting CFer though...

Robert, like Moncada, has already has a big pay day however (to the tune of $26M)...Both are unlikely to sign an extension and more likely to test FA, neither desperate to cash in

Eaton, Sale, and Q were all easily interested in a pay day as Madrigal, Gio, Kopech may be

10 hours ago, Orlando said:

Dave received a dm that the Sox signed Kuechel. He posted it as a joke. The guy in the dm said “please keep me anonymous so my friend and I don’t get in trouble” when Dave posted the DM screenshot, the guys name was on it. Everyone told him that wasn’t right so he deleted it. He didn’t actually know anything. 

WSD, who may be a good guy, is fairly fraudulent

He's a comedic blogger, not an insider

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Doesn’t hurt to add more depth to the lineup. Signing EE and letting Collins start in Charlotte is not a terrible idea. If EE is total shit, Sox can just release him same as Alonso last season.

There is absolutely zero benefit to sending Collins back to AAA. If the White Sox plan on sending him back down they might as well trade the guy. He'll be 25 years old coming off a season in AAA with a wRC+ of 140. There's no benefit in a guy going back to a level he's completely dominated. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ChiSoxJon said:

Robert, like Moncada, has already has a big pay day however (to the tune of $26M)...Both are unlikely to sign an extension and more likely to test FA, neither desperate to cash in

Eaton, Sale, and Q were all easily interested in a pay day as Madrigal, Gio, Kopech may be

WSD, who may be a good guy, is fairly fraudulent

He's a comedic blogger, not an insider

We all really have no idea what Robert or Moncada's desires are. If Moncada truly wants to stay on the South Side - as he said he did for the duration of his career - he may sign an extension that pays him well but isn't necessarily the top top dollar he could demand.

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

We all really have no idea what Robert or Moncada's desires are. If Moncada truly wants to stay on the South Side - as he said he did for the duration of his career - he may sign an extension that pays him well but isn't necessarily the top top dollar he could demand.

exactly, and who knows how much that $26 million goes in the hands of people that helped get him out of cuba, who knows how much goes to family, taxes, he may very well be swayed by a guaranteed $100 mill.

1 minute ago, bmags said:

exactly, and who knows how much that $26 million goes in the hands of people that helped get him out of cuba, who knows how much goes to family, taxes, he may very well be swayed by a guaranteed $100 mill.

I was absolutely shocked to read that Moncada lives in Cuba in the off-season. I had no idea that was possible, 

13 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I was absolutely shocked to read that Moncada lives in Cuba in the off-season. I had no idea that was possible, 

Pretty sure that's a very recent phenomenon, though I though this admin had tightened back down on it. Like Robert is one of the last guys who had to defect.

46 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I absolutely understand why they'd sign Edwin,  but I'd love to give 130 games to Collins personally. It's risky though.

I want Collins to get a shot as well, but we need to sign EE to take the lion's share of the DH at bats. If we want a shot at the central in 2020, we cannot risk Collins taking a dump at the plate. I'd love to give Collins at bats to prove himself, but it might not be fully in the cards. 

With the 26 man roster, it allows us greater flexibility to rotate EE/Collins/McCann/Abreu/Grandal around the lineup. 

6 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

I want Collins to get a shot as well, but we need to sign EE to take the lion's share of the DH at bats. If we want a shot at the central in 2020, we cannot risk Collins taking a dump at the plate. I'd love to give Collins at bats to prove himself, but it might not be fully in the cards. 

With the 26 man roster, it allows us greater flexibility to rotate EE/Collins/McCann/Abreu/Grandal around the lineup. 

If Collins isn't going to get consistent big league at bats he shouldn't be here. I don't think it helps his development to give him 30 games of PT and 180 AB's. 

EE could also fall off; as I said, I get that it's risky but it's a risk I'd be willing to take. The offense has a lot of talent, they should be able to protect Collins within it.

Regarding my power projections, FanGraphs is pretty close to my numbers, although most of them do not project full 162 game seasons, for the respective players.   Perhaps the most significant mitigating factor would be a possible return to the use of the former ball. However, that hasn't been announced yet, has it?

7 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

100% agreed.  The key to any of this is depth, both hitting and pitching.  EE probably can't even play 135-140 games anymore (even at DH) and yes we would be taking away some from Collins but he would still get plenty and should be kept on MLB roster (barring any additional moves beyond EE) because of that extra 26th man.  I feel as though if you spread everything out for everyone it would keep guys fresh for the LONG season.

4 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

If Collins isn't going to get consistent big league at bats he shouldn't be here. I don't think it helps his development to give him 30 games of PT and 180 AB's. 

EE could also fall off; as I said, I get that it's risky but it's a risk I'd be willing to take. The offense has a lot of talent, they should be able to protect Collins within it.

Honestly I think the guy in this scenario that gets the least amount of ABs is McCann.  He is your primary backup C and right handed.  EE takes his DH spot and some of Collins but he should get more than 30 games of PT.  EE shouldn't play every day at 37.