Edwin Encarnacion

Dick Allen

Let’s say we sign EE, here are the 2019 wRC+ against RHP for our projected regulars along with their wRC+ against LHP in parentheses:

• Moncada = 148 (122)
  • Anderson = 132 (124)
  • Encarnacion = 121 (152)
  • Jimenez = 120 (107)
  • Grandal = 114 (138)
  • Mazara = 110 (55)
  • Abreu = 99 (168)

Throw in Robert & Madrigal and that’s  the making of a very good, balanced lineup.  Everyone but Mazara and to a lesser extent Abreu should play everyday.  Nomar clearly needs a platoon partner against LHP and Abreu could use some rest against tough righties.  IMO, the addition of EE would make Collins a much better fit from an offensive perspective than McCann as he’d allow us to spell Abreu far more frequently with a left-handed bat.  And come next year Vaughn slides into EE’s spot and hopefully you don’t miss a beat.  To me, that’s a superior plan than going out and adding Castellanos on what will likely be a four year deal.

19 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Let’s say we sign EE, here are the 2019 wRC+ against RHP for our projected regulars along with their wRC+ against LHP in parentheses:

• Moncada = 148 (122)
  • Anderson = 132 (124)
  • Encarnacion = 121 (152)
  • Jimenez = 120 (107)
  • Grandal = 114 (138)
  • Mazara = 110 (55)
  • Abreu = 99 (168)

Throw in Robert & Madrigal and that’s  the making of a very good, balanced lineup.  Everyone but Mazara and to a lesser extent Abreu should play everyday.  Nomar clearly needs a platoon partner against LHP and Abreu could use some rest against tough righties.  IMO, the addition of EE would make Collins a much better fit from an offensive perspective than McCann as he’d allow us to spell Abreu far more frequently with a left-handed bat.  And come next year Vaughn slides into EE’s spot and hopefully you don’t miss a beat.  To me, that’s a superior plan than going out and adding Castellanos on what will likely be a four year deal.

I knew Abreu hit lefties well, but heavens to Betsy

14 minutes ago, poppysox said:

IMO when the smoke clears on this offseason...the WS will be the favorite.🙂

Sox still have a long way to go towards proving they will realistically compete with the Twins. Lets say the Sox are better by ten games and the twins are worse by ten.

Sox win 82-83 games and the Twins win 90-91. Still not really striking distance unless a ton goes right for us. 

3 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

Sox still have a long way to go towards proving they will realistically compete with the Twins. Lets say the Sox are better by ten games and the twins are worse by ten.

Sox win 82-83 games and the Twins win 90-91. Still not really striking distance unless a ton goes right for us. 

In my opinion if you add one more bat you are better than the Twins. The Sox have turned over half the lineup and bolstered the rotation with 2 starters (3 when Kopech comes back) while Minnesota has lost a starter. You can not compare this current sox team to last years. I expect a big jump with our additions. 

• Thanks 1

OK, Encarnacion is a better hitter than Castellanos, but am I wrong to want Castellanos more because he helps us hide Mazara against LHP? If we get E, then Garcia or Engel has to play RF against RHP. McCann has no real place other than backup C. If we get Nick, then against LHP, he shifts to right and McCann serves as DH. What am I missing?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, The Sir said:

OK, Encarnacion is a better hitter than Castellanos, but am I wrong to want Castellanos more because he helps us hide Mazara against LHP? If we get E, then Garcia or Engel has to play RF against RHP. McCann has no real place other than backup C. If we get Nick, then against LHP, he shifts to right and McCann serves as DH. What am I missing?

Don't anyone get me wrong. If we really get E, I'll get fucking wet, but as much as I like Mazara, he needs to be hidden from LHP.

At the same time, whatever. Get E and let's murder the shit out of RHP.

1 minute ago, The Sir said:

Don't anyone get me wrong. If we really get E, I'll get fucking wet, but as much as I like Mazara, he needs to be hidden from LHP.

At the same time, whatever. Get E and let's murder the shit out of RHP.

If you get EE, the lineup is good enough to go with better D in RF with Engel or Garcia

Sign EE, put him in charge of our Dominican Academy when he retires.

One year and an option...that covers for Abreu, Vaughn and Collins, but also lets us escape quickly if he quickly declines this season.

Better to have too many good hitters than not enough...can always trade the excess.

This makes much more sense than locking in Castellanos for four years.   Hold back that money for internal extensions or Stroman/Bauer/Ray/Paxton next year.

4 minutes ago, fathom said:

If you get EE, the lineup is good enough to go with better D in RF with Engel or Garcia

They’ll platoon Mazara and Leury and have him also back up Robert.

The problem is we don’t really have anyone for 3B/SS if Leury’s primarily a OFer.  You might be right about Engel, unless they go out and sign a utility guy to replace Yolmer.

Can Mendick at least play 3B?  Can’t imagine him at SS.

3 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Sign EE, put him in charge of our Dominican Academy when he retires.

One year and an option...that covers for Abreu, Vaughn and Collins, but also lets us escape quickly if he quickly declines this season.

Better to have too many good hitters than not enough...can always trade the excess.

This makes much more sense than locking in Castellanos for four years.   Hold back that money for internal extensions or Stroman/Bauer/Ray/Paxton next year.

I can get behind a 1+1 deal, ala Twins’ for Cruz, except less $$.

6 minutes ago, Soxnfins said:

This could be the Boras plant... regardless of if he’s not the agent or not. But the guy just had his dad pass, I’d imagine he wouldn’t make a decision until it settles. Might be a month. 

Why would it be a Boras plant. He's doesn't represent him

Edited by aeichhor
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, fathom said:

No, no way.

No legitimate contender has discussions in the offseason about how they will have players like Engel or Leury in RF part time.

Edited by Moan4Yoan
  • Thanks 1