Edwin Encarnacion

Dick Allen

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

They’ll platoon Mazara and Leury and have him also back up Robert.

The problem is we don’t really have anyone for 3B/SS if Leury’s primarily a OFer.  You might be right about Engel, unless they go out and sign a utility guy to replace Yolmer.

Can Mendick at least play 3B?  Can’t imagine him at SS.

Plenty has been written the past year or so about Mendick  impressing the brass as a quite solid utility man (speaking defense), better than serviceable anywhere you put him, and a stronger athlete than people give him credit for. He might not have Yolmer’s glove overall, but the dude was a shortstop in college, primarily a shortstop in the minors, and played other positions when it was clear his path forward was as a utility man. 

Minors:

SS - 325 games

2B - 144

3B - 80

OF - 18

Sox (2019):

SS - 5

2B - 3

3B - 3

To my eye, he looked solid period. Poised and mature. Actually ideal for this roster. Only question for me is whether to rely on someone so inexperienced when 2020 is clearly a “go for it” year. 

Offensively he should be far stronger than Yolmer. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, CyAcosta41 said:

Plenty has been written the past year or so about Mendick  impressing the brass as a quite solid utility man (speaking defense), better than serviceable anywhere you put him, and a stronger athlete than people give him credit for. He might not have Yolmer’s glove overall, but the dude was a shortstop in college, primarily a shortstop in the minors, and played other positions when it was clear his path forward was as a utility man. 

Minors:

SS - 325 games

2B - 144

3B - 80

OF - 18

Sox (2019):

SS - 5

2B - 3

3B - 3

To my eye, he looked solid period. Poised and mature. Actually ideal for this roster. Only question for me is whether to rely on someone so inexperienced when 2020 is clearly a “go for it” year. 

Good to know.

I pretty much ignored the last 6 weeks of White Sox baseball.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/profile.asp?ID=186069

He also played SS in community college and U-Mass Lowell (123 more games of ONLY shortstop.)

No need for another utility infielder, or having Madrigal try to play SS at the big league level.

3 minutes ago, joesaiditstrue said:

Sox aren't signing a guy to DH fulltime.  They're gonna rotate their C's and Abreu

Definitely not Castellanos.

But someone like EE or Puig, if their price comes down to the $8-10 million range.  Dickerson...if they aren't sure on Collins, or even Brett Gardner.

There are options for just 2020 that make this a much better offense without doing much of anything beyond stunting Zack's offensive development at the major league level.  If we're training him to be the back-up to Grandal for the contention window, he needs to be playing the field (also 1B to add versatility) nearly every day in Charlotte.

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

Definitely not Castellanos.

But someone like EE or Puig, if their price comes down to the $8-10 million range.  Dickerson...if they aren't sure on Collins, or even Brett Gardner.

There are options for just 2020 that make this a much better offense without doing much of anything beyond stunting Zack's offensive development at the major league level.  If we're training him to be the back-up to Grandal for the contention window, he needs to be playing the field (also 1B to add versatility) nearly every day in Charlotte.

Gardner resigned with the Yankees

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/12/sports/baseball/yankees-brett-gardner.html

Long time lurker here.

My two cents, which echo those of many others...

Solid, deep organizations don't make decisions about seizing opportunities based on blocking prospects.

Look no further than Tucker in Houston. That dude, without question, was major league ready (with a heck of a lot more upside than Collins). Did Houston stop pursuing guys when the opportunity came?

Collins will be ok. The more depth you create, the better. I want 30-40 guaranteed bombs in my lineup. That's, barring a catastrophe, what EE brings. For one year, it's an easy decision.

The rest can be figured out later.

• Like 8

15 minutes ago, tdsox17 said:

Long time lurker here.

Solid, deep organizations don't make decisions about seizing opportunities based on blocking prospects.

Look no further than Tucker in Houston. That dude, without question, was major league ready (with a heck of a lot more upside than Collins). Did Houston stop pursuing guys when the opportunity came?

Collins will be ok. The more depth you create, the better. I want 30-40 guaranteed bombs in my lineup. That's, barring a catastrophe, what EE brings. For one year, it's an easy decision.

Welcome

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, tdsox17 said:

Long time lurker here.

This is really all we need to care about.

If EE somehow falls off a cliff, you release him and yeah, some money was wasted but that's the risk you take.

If EE is good, there's really nothing wrong with that as I'm confident they would find Collins ABs. Yeah, it wouldn't be 600 of them but enough to continue his learning.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CyAcosta41 said:

Minors:

SS - 325 games

2B - 144

3B - 80

OF - 18

Sox (2019):

SS - 5

2B - 3

3B - 3

Good to see you Cy. Sentimentally hoping Mendick can make the team. Not sure if the Sox will sign someone to play 2nd before Madrigal arrives. Mendick caught a   ceremonial 1st pitch my 85 year old father threw out in Sept. in the DH that got washed out against Detroit.

I know that it was just a rookie chore but he seemed very nice and talked to my Dad afterwards. Like any Sox fan young or old my father really got a kick out of doing that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tdsox17 said:

Long time lurker here.

Astros and Sox are on completely opposite ends of their rebuilds.

Let's get there first before applying this approach on ignoring prospects.

8 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

Astros and Sox are on completely opposite ends of their rebuilds.

Let's get there first before applying this approach on ignoring prospects.

Indeed they are. But prospects don't get "blocked". They just don't. They either force their way to the big leagues, or they don't. Collins has not forced his way into anything. His draft status means nothing to me.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, joesaiditstrue said:

Sox aren't signing a guy to DH fulltime.  They're gonna rotate their C's and Abreu

Looking like an early candidate for not aging well. I'm in the same boat since I have said my preference is to play Collins a lot at DH but I can understand the more proven bat with EE.