Edwin Encarnacion

Dick Allen

3 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

That's pretty close to official without being official then.  Meh.  

He's a win now addition when our RF is not.  If they upgrade RF I'm sold

Same.

Give me Castellanos (or even Ozuna/Puig) a long with Edwin, I'm 100% in and you won't hear me b****ing about Machado for a long while.

It's not the sexiest offseason picks, but it is what it is -- the top players likely weren't coming to CWS  anyway, so grabbing these guys would be the second best thing.

Castellanos + Some RP after Edwin and what an amazing offseason, maybe add a Robert/Madrigal extension to get them up for day 1 and you have an A+ offseason... surprising. 

• Haha 1

Just now, iWiN4PreP said:

Same.

Give me Castellanos (or even Ozuna/Puig) a long with Edwin, I'm 100% in and you won't hear me b****ing about Machado for a long while.

It's not the sexiest offseason picks, but it is what it is -- the top players likely weren't coming to CWS  anyway, so grabbing these guys would be the second best thing.

Castellanos + Some RP after Edwin and what an amazing offseason, maybe add a Robert/Madrigal extension to get them up for day 1 and you have an A+ offseason... surprising. 

This. I complained all damn season about not getting Machado but if you can get EE and add one of Castellanos, Puig or Ozuna it makes not getting Machado a blessing in disguise with what they have accomplished this offseason.

Just now, KnightsOnMintSt said:

So if we sign EE, I’m assuming that McCann gets traded since he only has 1-year left on his deal? Then Collins gets the nod as backup C?

No.. McCann stays as the backup.   That's all he should be anyways.  People thinking he should get DH at bats were and are delusional about his skill set.. If we sign Encanacion I think Collins is traded as he has no spot in 2020 or in the future.  You don't necessarily want your backup C to be a very poor defender and he'd never have DH or 1B opportunities with Vaughn and Abreu long term and Encarnacion and Abreu in 2020. Bye Collins.

• Like 2

So if we sign EE, I’m assuming that McCann gets traded since he only has 1-year left on his deal? Then Collins gets the nod as backup C?

With an automated strike zone I wouldnt mind having Collins as our backup but man is his framing bad. How does Mercedes look behind the plate?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, South Side Fireworks Man said:

Or keep all three for depth.  But if you can get some real good value for McCann, go ahead.

I am fine with trading either Collins or McCann if there's some decent value.  Problem is, I don't think McCann brings you anything interesting and Collins I would imagine would just bring you an okay reliever, which to me may not be worth it.

• Like 1

People keep shitting on Collins but he is presumably our backup catcher in 2021 when this team should be better and more complete than 2020.  I don't like the idea of stunting his growth for another year, which is what will happen with McCann and EE.  I hope they trade McCann tbh but that seems unlikely.

4 minutes ago, South Side Fireworks Man said:

I'm with you.  Get both EE and Castellanos and you still have Mazara on the bench for LH hitting if needed.

Mazara is not going to bench.  If he doesn't start in a platoon option, he just gets released (which then leaves you scratching your head on why they made the trade to begin with). 

The Sox are not going to carry a bad defensive OF on the bench.  

• Like 1

Just now, Kyyle23 said:

I would love to have EE and Castellanos but I would be stunned if they acquired both.   To me it's one or the other and then move on to something like middle-late reliever 

No chance they get both.  EE seems to be their man and then they are done on offense.. Maybe they sign some cheap veteran 2B but other than that, our offseason is practically done apart from adding some bullpen arm and some minor league deals.

Just now, cjgalloway said:

I am fine with trading either Collins or McCann if there's some decent value.  Problem is, I don't think McCann brings you anything interesting and Collins I would imagine would just bring you an okay reliever, which to me may not be worth it.

Agree. I wouldn't give either one away just for the sake of trading one.  But if someone wants to give something of value for either one, I wouldn't be against that either.

To me, McCann is the perfect backup to Grandal and Collins gives you depth and a possible future backup Catcher/1B and maybe DH if he improves his hit tool.

2 minutes ago, cjgalloway said:

No chance they get both.  EE seems to be their man and then they are done on offense.. Maybe they sign some cheap veteran 2B but other than that, our offseason is practically done apart from adding some bullpen arm and some minor league deals.

Yea, I really don't think they would get both, seems a bit too bold for them.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

Mazara is not going to bench.  If he doesn't start in a platoon option, he just gets released (which then leaves you scratching your head on why they made the trade to begin with). 

The Sox are not going to carry a bad defensive OF on the bench.  

Why not? They always have.  At least this one supposedly can hit a little bit and provide some LH pop off the bench.  Plus there's an extra roster spot this year.

Just now, South Side Fireworks Man said:

Why not? They always have.  At least this one supposedly can hit a little bit and provide some LH pop off the bench.  Plus there's an extra roster spot this year.

The Sox will have to carry two defensive OF replacements on the bench most season.    So I'd assume those would be Leury and Engel.   No way they carry a 3rd bench OF, regardless of the 26th man.  

1 minute ago, HOFHurt35 said:

The Sox will have to carry two defensive OF replacements on the bench most season.    So I'd assume those would be Leury and Engel.   No way they carry a 3rd bench OF, regardless of the 26th man.  

Leury is a super sub, he's not a straight OF.

Sometimes you have to trade prospects when their value is at an all time high. You can't always wait until they completely bust because then you got nothing for them.  If we sign EE. This would be the time to trade Collins if you can get something decent.  I'd frankly prefer a prospect for prospect swap because I don't think he'd get you a major leaguer that gets you all that excited.