Edwin Encarnacion

Dick Allen

There are a lot of assumptions on here about the health of the players.  A few of them will surely spend time on the DL, and it’s a lot better to have the depth of actual big leaguers instead of having to use the likes of Skole.

Edited by fathom
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

26 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

If we add EE, we are basically replacing Engel, Cordell, Yolmer, Alonso, and McCann with Robert, Mazara, Madrigal, Encarnacion, and Grandal. 

I’m not a WAR expert, but my calculations say that improves our team by about 217 wins (give or take a couple). 

I think it comes to a little more than that.🙂

1 minute ago, BackDoorBreach said:

Leury is a super sub, he's not a straight OF.

But on most nights, he will need to be counted as OF replacement for one of the corners or they will need to get a 2nd defensive OF to go with Engel. 

This is the downside of having too many Softball players for the corner OF spots. 

5 minutes ago, cjgalloway said:

Sometimes you have to trade prospects when their value is at an all time high. You can't always wait until they completely bust because then you got nothing for them.  If we sign EE. This would be the time to trade Collins if you can get something decent.  I'd frankly prefer a prospect for prospect swap because I don't think he'd get you a major leaguer that gets you all that excited.

I think the "all time high" phase for Collins is long gone.  

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

I would love to have EE and Castellanos but I would be stunned if they acquired both.   To me it's one or the other and then move on to something like middle-late reliever 

I can’t really see us adding both.  I mean, financially it’s totally doable and I guess you could still get Mazara a decent amount of playing time by spelling Castellanos, Jimenez, Abreu, & Encarnación, but you’d be making a major commitment to Nicky’s ability to play a competent RF as the DH spot would be mostly blocked going forward.

• Like 2

Apologies if this was posted already...

JPHPzOP1_x96.jpg

Looking to free up At Bats &

💰
... White Sox discussing James McCann with multiple teams including Rays, Reds, Angels & Rockies. At $5.4M cheaper than current asking prices of Jason Castro & Robinson Chirinos. Somewhat of a balance of those 2 players. Nothing imminent...

JPHPzOP1_x96.jpg

Edwin Encarnacion nearing Deal w/ #WhiteSox that guarantees him in $10M+ range on 1 Yr deal potentially with ‘21 Club Option. Deal in similar format to one Twins gave Nelson Cruz last offseason w/ slightly less

💰
. Expect deal finalized today or after Christmas..

23 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

Mazara is not going to bench.  If he doesn't start in a platoon option, he just gets released (which then leaves you scratching your head on why they made the trade to begin with). 

The Sox are not going to carry a bad defensive OF on the bench.  

There is zero chance they release Mazara between now and opening day short of some negative off field activity.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

But on most nights, he will need to be counted as OF replacement for one of the corners or they will need to get a 2nd defensive OF to go with Engel. 

This is the downside of having too many Softball players for the corner OF spots. 

I just don't like this argument.  How many times was Eloy subbed for last year?  Castellanos is a bonafide MLB hitter and an upgrade from Mazara at the plate.  I think it's silly to not pick a better RF because of 9th inning subs.  You need to let Eloy play the field anyways.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Apologies if this was posted already...

JPHPzOP1_x96.jpg

Looking to free up At Bats &

💰
... White Sox discussing James McCann with multiple teams including Rays, Reds, Angels & Rockies. At $5.4M cheaper than current asking prices of Jason Castro & Robinson Chirinos. Somewhat of a balance of those 2 players. Nothing imminent...

JPHPzOP1_x96.jpg

Edwin Encarnacion nearing Deal w/ #WhiteSox that guarantees him in $10M+ range on 1 Yr deal potentially with ‘21 Club Option. Deal in similar format to one Twins gave Nelson Cruz last offseason w/ slightly less

💰
. Expect deal finalized today or after Christmas..

I'll take Kevin Maitan from the Angels.. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cjgalloway said:

Let me go take a gander at those team's prospects lol

Since we are now in the contention phase I'd assume we are looking for a MLB reliever or RF option....unless there is a good prospect not far from the majors. 

Give the Angels ReyLo, Dunning and McCann for Adell.

Edited by SoCalChiSox

2 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Since we are now in the contention phase I'd assume we are looking for a MLB reliever or RF option....unless there is a good prospect not far from the majors. 

Give the Angels ReyLo, Dunning and McCann for Adell.

I'm fine with trading for MLB ready. But, Angels would laugh in our face.

Edited by cjgalloway
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

Mazara is not going to bench.  If he doesn't start in a platoon option, he just gets released (which then leaves you scratching your head on why they made the trade to begin with). 

The Sox are not going to carry a bad defensive OF on the bench.  

Well they could trade him. Other teams besides the Sox were in on him.

19 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

I just don't like this argument.  How many times was Eloy subbed for last year?  Castellanos is a bonafide MLB hitter and an upgrade from Mazara at the plate.  I think it's silly to not pick a better RF because of 9th inning subs.  You need to let Eloy play the field anyways.  

The argument I'm making is that Mazara has no place on this time if you bring in Castellanos.  I'm 100 fine with this, it's another no-brainer.   But then the Sox have pie in their face on why they made this trade in the first place if BOTH  Castellanos and Encarnacion were still considered legitimate targets. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HOFHurt35 said:

The argument I'm making is that Mazara has no place on this time if you bring in Castellanos.  I'm 100 fine with this, it's another no-brainer.   But then the Sox have pie in their face on why they made this trade in the first place if BOTH  Castellanos and Encarnacion were still considered legitimate targets. 

Lol its not really a big deal. They make the move just in case the other ones sign somewhere else. Like I said above, just make him available and deal him somewhere else. Sox weren't the only team in on him at the time.

With automated strike zone coming in a couple years (hopefully after we have gotten some good framing seasons from Grandal), it would be ideal to keep Collins as the backup catcher. With his swing changes, he absolutely could be .240/.370/.475. That would be awesome from the left side as a passable catcher that doesn't have to worry about framing.  

59 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

Mendick played some OF . He's definitely a superutility type like Leury.

4 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

I will go out on a limb and say EE signs today. His market is shrinking by the day and it makes a lot of sense to get the deal done before Christmas.

It’d be nice to get him locker up but I doubt it with his father just passing away.