Edwin Encarnacion

Dick Allen

2 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Who do you think they’ll get? Souza? Pence?

Maybe the bench will be McCann, Collins, Leury, and whoever the Sox get to platoon with Mazara.

Maybe Pillar or Maybin?  Don’t think either guy will cost much and add far more certainty than Engel, who can then serve as minor league depth.

6 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

A prove it deal doesn’t sound ideal when he’d potentially have draft pick compensation tied to him next year.

I don't know why I thought he's been QO before. Okay, a three year deal then it is. EE is here for one year, so I wouldn't mind getting both. Load up on talent and let the cards fall where they may. 

• Haha 1
  • Love 1

9 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Maybe Pillar or Maybin?  Don’t think either guy will cost much and add far more certainty than Engel, who can then serve as minor league depth.

Maybin is actually a better hitter vs. RHP, than he is vs. LHP. He wouldn't work as a platoon partner for Mazara. I'd rather have Engel than Maybin. Pillar is an interesting possibility. Is his arm good enough for RF?

Edited by Lillian

8 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Maybin is actually a better hitter vs. RHP, than he is vs. LHP. He wouldn't work as a platoon partner for Mazara. I'd rather have Engel than Maybin. Pillar is an interesting possibility. Is his arm good enough for RF?

But Pillar makes sense and I’d definitely rather have him over Engel.

This is good. They will leave themselves with future financial flexibility plus you know the Sox will be major players in the mid season trade market to go after any nice and shiny pieces available that route as well. That is something they have never shied away from. They may be cheap but they have always been willing to roll the dice and trade pieces to acquire proven assets. Should be fun. 

If this ends up happening it’s exciting for the simple fact that you can pencil him into the DH spot and is a legitimate threat to go deep at any point. The first true DH we have had with power like that since the Adam Dunn experiment with no huge commitment to him moving forward.

Until yesterday, I wasn't excited about adding Encarnacion, as it will keep the Sox from finding out what they have in Zach Collins.  But I've come around to the idea of EE as a full time DH, back up 1B. With a 26-man roster, it's possible the Sox could still carry Collins and use him and Grandall to cover DH/1B against some right handers, as Abreu and Encarnacion aren't likely to play more than about 120-125 games each. 

What I think the Sox should do is get a second-year option on EE to improve his trade value, so if the season is not going well in 2020, we can flip him, or, if he does well, we can keep him and still work in Vaughn in 2021. 

2 minutes ago, VAfan said:

Until yesterday, I wasn't excited about adding Encarnacion, as it will keep the Sox from finding out what they have in Zach Collins.  But I've come around to the idea of EE as a full time DH, back up 1B. With a 26-man roster, it's possible the Sox could still carry Collins and use him and Grandall to cover DH/1B against some right handers, as Abreu and Encarnacion aren't likely to play more than about 120-125 games each. 

What I think the Sox should do is get a second-year option on EE to improve his trade value, so if the season is not going well in 2020, we can flip him, or, if he does well, we can keep him and still work in Vaughn in 2021. 

I kind of feel like the Sox have already made up their mind with Collins. Dude is as good as gone judging by their actions.  

I’m going to be really fucking pumped if we land Encarnación.  Awesome hitter who can handle both LHP & RHP and will come at a very reasonable price.  Smart GMs take advantage of market discrepancies and there simply aren’t many contending teams in need of a DH right now.  The Sox will go from the worst DH production in all of baseball to possibly top 3 with no multi year commitment.  I really do like Zack Collins, but adding EE is a no-brainer and makes our lineup that much more dangerous in 2020.

• Like 1

Just now, shipps said:

I kind of feel like the Sox have already made up their mind with Collins. Dude is as good as gone judging by their actions.  

I definitely think one of Collins or McCann is gone.  I’d rather hold onto to Zack though as he’s a buyer fit for the lineup and is controllable.  Given that Grandal should easily start 110 to 120 games, I think we can survive Collins as our backup catcher even if he’s still a work-in-process defensively.

7 minutes ago, shipps said:

Or they don’t want to just hand him the DH role when a legit DH can be acquired for a $10M 1 year deal.

Collins will still get his chances in 2020. It’s better to have options than to simply only have Collins to roll with. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I definitely think one of Collins or McCann is gone.  I’d rather hold onto to Zack though as he’s a buyer fit for the lineup and is controllable.  Given that Grandal should easily start 110 to 120 games, I think we can survive Collins as our backup catcher even if he’s still a work-in-process defensively.

Collins should have a spot on the 26 man to open the season. He can optioned when Robert and Madrigal arrive if he’s not performing. AAA season doesn’t open until like 10 days after MLb. I’d rather have the insurance or Collins in AAA than to just trade him or McCann for whatever they can get. All of these guys can fit. 

10 minutes ago, shipps said:

He's not gone, because EE is only a 1-2 year signing, and McCann won't last the 4 years we have Grandal. They might send him back to AAA to get more catching experience, but I can still see a small role up here, as Abreu and EE are at the age where they aren't going to play every day.

• Like 1