Edwin Encarnacion

Dick Allen

6 minutes ago, VAfan said:

He's not gone, because EE is only a 1-2 year signing, and McCann won't last the 4 years we have Grandal. They might send him back to AAA to get more catching experience, but I can still see a small role up here, as Abreu and EE are at the age where they aren't going to play every day.

He will be 25 this Feb. The clock is ticking on his window to produce and it doesn't look like he is going to be offered an overwhelming amount of opportunity in the near future to do that. We shall see what happens but to me, the writing is on the wall. 

51 minutes ago, Superstar Lamar said:

with his track record the Sox will trade Mc Cann just so his story isn't correct

They should trade McCann if EE is added. He's a nice luxury to have for a year, but kind of unnecessary. Either trade him alone, or put him in a package and save some money. Collins will be fine as the back up, plus he can spell EE and Abreu vs. some righthanders. And if he isn't, it's the back up catcher. It's a waste paying McCann $5.6 million for, at most 1/3 of a season of playing time.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

They should trade McCann if EE is added. He's a nice luxury to have for a year, but kind of unnecessary. Either trade him alone, or put him in a package and save some money. Collins will be fine as the back up, plus he can spell EE and Abreu vs. some righthanders. And if he isn't, it's the back up catcher. It's a waste paying McCann $5.6 million for, at most 1/3 of a season.

Agreed.  I would not give up years of control and potential in Collins to keep McCann as a backup for one year at $5.6 million.  McCann could easily turn back into a Detroit pumpkin and he’s not going to be with the Sox in 2021 regardless.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

4 minutes ago, HahnsKiddieTable said:

I personally do not want to see McCann go, I think him serving as Gios personal catcher is worth it. 

He isn't going to serve as his personal catcher beyond 2020 anyway. So if Giolito's success is tied to McCann, the Sox made a grave error signing Grandal.

He isn't going to serve as his personal catcher beyond 2020 anyway. So if Giolito's success is tied to McCann, the Sox made a grave error signing Grandal.

With Hahn always talking about winning and long term success, it would make no sense to move Collins over McCann.

Sell high on the guy and watch him put up a sub-.700 OPS with another team.

11 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

They should trade McCann if EE is added. He's a nice luxury to have for a year, but kind of unnecessary. Either trade him alone, or put him in a package and save some money. Collins will be fine as the back up, plus he can spell EE and Abreu vs. some righthanders. And if he isn't, it's the back up catcher. It's a waste paying McCann $5.6 million for, at most 1/3 of a season of playing time.

I disagree here. Obviously if someone wants to give you a nice prospect for him, by all means listen. But $5.4M is nothing and it will be really nice to have McCann around. God forbid Grandal gets hurt, we have a starting caliber catcher there ready to take the load for a couple weeks. I’m not trading McCann to save $5.4M and acquire a guy that will never make it past A ball. 

I also don’t think Collins as the straight backup catcher makes a ton of sense. 

• Like 1

Just now, Moan4Yoan said:

With Hahn always talking about winning and long term success, it would make no sense to move Collins over McCann.

Sell high on the guy and watch him put up a sub-.700 OPS with another team.

Let the good signing from last year live on by turning it into something else. I get he probably doesn't get you much alone, but as part of a package, he was a legit All Star last season, is a  good teammate, and despite bad framing numbers, pitchers like throwing to him, so he should be a decent piece. Plus you get some financial relief to reallocate. 

12 minutes ago, HahnsKiddieTable said:

I personally do not want to see McCann go, I think him serving as Gios personal catcher is worth it. 

I couldn't care less about that. You aren't gonna bench Grandal in pivotal games or big post season games to play James. This being said, it's best that we keep him just in case injuries happen. EE will probably get hurt so he could DH, or fill in for Yas if he gets hurt. 

6 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Not saying his success is directly tied to McCann but if they have confidence in one another why fix what isn’t broken?

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I disagree here. Obviously if someone wants to give you a nice prospect for him, by all means listen. But $5.4M is nothing and it will be really nice to have McCann around. God forbid Grandal gets hurt, we have a starting caliber catcher there ready to take the load for a couple weeks. I’m not trading McCann to save $5.4M and acquire a guy that will never make it past A ball. 

If Grandal gets hurt, it's doubtful McCann saves the season, and he is goine probably no matter what at the end of the season anyway. Reallocate his funds to the bullpen.

14 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

And if Grandal gets hurt?  That $5.6M isn't going to break the Sox budget.  It's nice to have depth for once so we don't have to watch players that have no business in the major leagues filling in.

Having said that, if they can get good value in return for McCann (or Collins for that matter) go ahead and trade.  But it would be nice having all three around this season. 

3 minutes ago, joesaiditstrue said:

If we sign Encarnacion to DH, I can admit that I was definitely wrong in my prediction.  Figured they would rotate the DH around like in past years

What's the roster number in 2020, it's more than 25 right?

If Grandal gets hurt, it's doubtful McCann saves the season, and he is goine probably no matter what at the end of the season anyway. Reallocate his funds to the bullpen.

What is 5 mil going to get you? If you are that cash strapped with only 110 mil pay role, the team has more issues than who is playing backup catcher 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I have been stressing this point, but apparently some people don't care to factor in the potential injury factor. If Grandal were to miss substantial time, we would be stuck with a defensively challenged young catcher, who has yet to establish himself as a Major League hitter. That is not a prudent approach. McCann provides reasonable insurance, with his contract.

• Thanks 1

Just now, HahnsKiddieTable said:

Not saying his success is directly tied to McCann but if they have confidence in one another why fix what isn’t broken?

Because he is a back up catcher to the guy you just spend a team record amount of money to bring in, and you have a decent catching prospect behind him, and he makes more than a typical back up catcher, and he is gone in a season anyway, and he isn't the difference between winning a World Series and not winning a World Series. 

He is like a back up set of golf clubs for someone who golfs once or twice a year. Not really needed. The Sox made their bed with Grandal, then they thought McCann may DH vs. lefties, but it looks like they chose EE instead.  We don't have to be rocket scientists to figure this out. 

There was a McCann trade blurb on MLBTR a few days ago, saying the Sox are asking for the moon. The writing is on the wall. He is going to go sometime.