Edwin Encarnacion

Dick Allen

Just now, fathom said:

I’m not a fan either of Engel, but wouldn’t rule out that thought process 

I would.  I have no idea where this new idea came from that some posters would be okay with a Mazara / Engel platoon in RF.  From 89 plate appearances against lefties?  Small sample size.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

I’m not a fan either of Engel, but wouldn’t rule out that thought process 

Engel is nothing more than an AAAA outfielder. No reason he should be platooning on a contending team. I’d rather let Mazara take his lumps and see if he can turn his splits around versus going with him as your other option. I would re-explore Joc talks before going into the season with him getting any significant playing time

• Love 1

4 minutes ago, HahnsKiddieTable said:

Engel is nothing more than an AAAA outfielder. No reason he should be platooning on a contending team. I’d rather let Mazara take his lumps and see if he can turn his splits around versus going with him as your other option. I would re-explore Joc talks before going into the season with him getting any significant playing time

If they can’t extend Robert and don’t get Castellanos, I’m all for Pillar being brought in

16 minutes ago, HahnsKiddieTable said:

He won't platoon, he will play defense at the end of games and run when we need it. He has a very important role on this team. 

1 minute ago, SonofaRoache said:

He won't platoon, he will play defense at the end of games and run when we need it. He has a very important role on this team. 

Garcia can’t do that? Just saying you have Mazara and then a combo of Leury and Engel essentially with the same role on the team. Get rid of engel sign castellanos and have Leury be your OF super sub on defense.

1 minute ago, HahnsKiddieTable said:

Garcia can’t do that? Just saying you have Mazara and then a combo of Leury and Engel essentially with the same role on the team. Get rid of engel sign castellanos and have Leury be your OF super sub on defense.

No, Garcia can't play elite defense at the end of games. Leury is okay too, but he can backup the infield. If we need him, Robert, and Engel in the game, we have that option. 

3 minutes ago, HahnsKiddieTable said:

Leury is probably going to start like 60-70 games between the infield and outfield. 

1 hour ago, The Sir said:

OK, Encarnacion is a better hitter than Castellanos, but am I wrong to want Castellanos more because he helps us hide Mazara against LHP? If we get E, then Garcia or Engel has to play RF against RHP. McCann has no real place other than backup C. If we get Nick, then against LHP, he shifts to right and McCann serves as DH. What am I missing?

Encarnacion only requires a one year commitment while Castellanos will require four.

1 minute ago, HOFHurt35 said:

Indeed.  And it keeps you from blocking the pipeline in guys like Adolfo, Basabe, Rutherford, and Gonzalez.

OK. As much as I like Castellanos, I'm finally starting to warm up to the idea of signing EE. Let's do it!

7 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

Indeed.  And it keeps you from blocking the pipeline in guys like Adolfo, Basabe, Rutherford, and Gonzalez.

None of these guys is a sure-bet major leaguer.  The guy with the best shot is probably Basabe as a fourth outfielder.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

None of these guys is a sure-bet major leaguer.  The guy with the best shot is probably Basabe as a fourth outfielder.

I'm not saying any of those guys are sure bet.  Just saying that rather than handcuffing yourself to a bad defensive corner OF contract for 4 years, keep your options open for down the line.  Take it one year at a time and do an Encarnacion type signing if you feel you need another bat.   It buys you another year in development to see if any of those 4 guys mentioned finally blows up in the minors to something you can work with here in the big league level.

I think we, Sox fans, need to take  a step back here and look at the big picture and understand that to build long term success we have to continue drafting/and developing along with all the good that's happening right now at the big league level and free agency.  Hopefully we get a breakout down in the farm from one of those guys mentioned. 

43 minutes ago, HahnsKiddieTable said:

I do not want Leury Garcia out there late in games. The guy is a walking dumb ass on the field.

9 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

With the way the Sox have operated this offseason, I'm not so sure I believe all the smoke around EE. Grandal, Mazara, Gio, and Keuchel were all relatively under-the-radar moves. Only real smoke surrounding them was either right before the deal was made or mostly educated guesses on fit or past rumors.

Keuchel wasn’t but the rest were.

6 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I've been talking up Hunter Pence but if you want good D not sure he's a good choice. But if you want offense his splits were outstanding last year against lefties. It's just a matter of if you can really believe at his age he's good for another excellent year for around 300 AB's. Also hit righties fairly well. I'd be happier spending EE money on the BP orw hoever else the Sox deem as a contributor in the infield or OF.

Pence was a terrific defender in CF as a youngster.  Don't know what he has left in his defensive tank.