Edwin Encarnacion

Dick Allen

Is there anyone in the Sox organization, who would be capable of providing adequate defense, if McCann is traded and then Grandal were injured? Neither Zavala, nor Mercedes are considered good defensive catchers. Think of it like this; If McCann were traded, then Grandal were injured, our catching tandem would be Collins and Zavala. Yikes!! No thanks.

Edited by Lillian
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/21/2019 at 8:30 PM, chw42 said:

Especially when you can get the better bat in EE to DH full time. If you're mostly going to DH Castellanos there is no reason to give him a huge deal when you can give EE $12-15 million for one year.

It appears Hector and I have similar sources...

31 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Is there anyone in the Sox organization, who would be capable of providing adequate defense, if McCann is traded and then Grandal were injured? Neither Zavala, nor Mercedes are considered good defensive catchers. Think of it like this; If McCann were traded, then Grandal were injured, our catching tandem would be Collins and Zavala. Yikes!! No thanks.

What if Moncada gets hurt? Anderson? Or Giolito? Who’s their backup at those positions? Collins is a much better backup then whoever is filling in for those guys.

If defense is what you’re worried about, they could easily bring in a defensive catcher sitting on someone’s bench. And as Dick Allen had said, if Grandal is out for a significant period of time this team is screwed anyways.

1 minute ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

What if Moncada gets hurt? Anderson? Or Giolito? Who’s their backup at those positions? Collins is a much better backup then whoever is filling in for those guys.

If defense is what you’re worried about, they could easily bring in a defensive catcher sitting on someone’s bench. And as Dick Allen had said, if Grandal is out for a significant period of time this team is screwed anyways.

That's why good teams build depth.

4 hours ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Who do you think they’ll get? Souza? Pence?

Maybe the bench will be McCann, Collins, Leury, and whoever the Sox get to platoon with Mazara.

I'm surprised how little love Pence has received on this board.

43 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

OK, fine. Then find a defensive catcher and sign him to a Minor League contract, if necessary, before trading away McCann. Last year, we had two qualified Major League catchers, in McCann and Castillo. I would like at least that kind of depth, for this coming season. It can't be emphasized enough that, unlike other positions, catching already begins as a tandem unit. It's not the same as other positions, where there is a regular and then a backup, in case of injury. You start with 2 catchers, sharing the work load. I simply don't think that it's prudent to start with a tandem of Grandal and Collins. It would be fine, if Grandal doesn't get hurt. However, if he misses any significant time, you are then relying on an unproven, defensively challenged catcher, and no good defensive tandem partner. In other words, not one single qualified, proven defensive back stop. I'm sorry, but that just won't fly, in my humble opinion. Would you really want to have to rely upon Collins and Zavala as your catchers, if Grandal went on the DL?

Edited by Lillian
  • Like 2