Edwin Encarnacion

Dick Allen

2 minutes ago, SouthWallace said:

Sox were 9th worst in Runs Scored in 2019.  7th worst in Runs Allowed, and 7th worst in Run Differential.  Every playoff team except Milwaukee had a run differential over +100.  Does that line up make up for the Sox -124 run differential to even get above water?  Tough hill to climb with half of a major league starting rotation.

I know its more complicated than simply outscoring your opponents every night.  But those early 2000s Sox clubs sure lost a lot of high scoring games and sat home every October.

9 minutes ago, fathom said:

If they have a payroll below 100 million, everyone should boycott their games this year.

Yeah... it's pretty bad.... https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/payroll/

The thing that annoys me the most is the way that they'll end up spending the loose money... on below average players like always.

They'll sign a flurry of old vets or young guys that have stunk, get the payroll to 90+ and consider themselves good to go.

Chicago really should be above league average. 

On 12/15/2019 at 8:40 AM, quickman said:

I obviously missed the memo on the great Zach Collins that barely Hit 250 in the minors and sucked when he was brought up. His defensive skills have been questioned and now his bat. Yet this board loves the guy. If we acquired Collins in a trade this board would crucify Hahn. I think a lot of people fall in love with minor league junk because they met them at a game or know his girlfriend. The guy hasnt proven a thing. He is a third catcher or a bat off the bench on his best day. He frightens no pitcher in this league  and has a giant hole in his swing. I will take the established 30 hr guy with 100 RBI’s. Sandwich him in the middle of the order and let him go back to back with abreu or Jimenez. Your not a winner with Zach Collins as your dh. 

I think the memo you missed was the one about how people evaluate hitting statistics since about 2006.

No, he hasn’t proven anything — he’s a prospect. And one with a long history of elite on base and power numbers. The idea is that, given some practice and coaching, those numbers will translate as the player ages and improves. Edwin Encarnacion sucked too, actually, in his first hundred or so plate appearances in the MLB. 

And the idea is that, with or without a veteran DH, this team is still about three good arms short of reasonable, and the options to get those arms are running out fast, so it might make sense to give the prospect that chance to improve this year so that he’ll be better when/if the team ever DOES decide to compete. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Aren't they still playing baseball? Guess I just enjoy the game more than most.

Do you really expect everyone to have the same values at you?  I can respect that you don’t care that much about winning & losing and simply enjoy the sport, but for many of us the White Sox winning is what gives us joy.  And if ownership is not committed to winning, then I’m going to limit my financial support of the organization because our values are not aligned.  Not sure why that’s so hard to understand.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

31 minutes ago, fathom said:

If they have a payroll below 100 million, everyone should boycott their games this year.

They played at 93 or whatever it was last year in a complete rebuilding year.  They should be well above 100, it just doesn't look that way since they haven't been linked to anybody.

They still need to sign 2 SPs and a RP.  I'm not giving them credit for dumpster diving rebound trash that will total 15-20 million on 3 or 4 guys to put them over 100.

11 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

They played at 93 or whatever it was last year in a complete rebuilding year.  They should be well above 100, it just doesn't look that way since they haven't been linked to anybody.

They still need to sign 2 SPs and a RP.  I'm not giving them credit for dumpster diving rebound trash that will total 15-20 million on 3 or 4 guys to put them over 100.

Yeah they will almost certainly hit 100. 

4 hours ago, soxfan2014 said:

So we shouldn't want them to get better and pay for better talent and instead, be satisfied that Jerry is saving money?

Of course you should want them to get better. However, that doesn't mean I'm not going to deny myself the enjoyment of the game.

My personal enjoyment outweighs the aspect of giving money to the team..

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Do you really expect everyone to have the same values at you?  I can respect that you don’t care that much about winning & losing and simply enjoy the sport, but for many of us the White Sox winning is what gives us joy.  And if ownership is not committed to winning, then I’m going to limit my financial support of the organization because our values are not aligned.  Not sure why that’s so hard to understand.

I do not expect you to have the same values. Hence the reason I said that I must enjoy the game more than most because my personal enjoyment of the game outweighs the other factors. I never said that yours had to, just that mine does. If winning gives you joy, fine. I just enjoy the game more.

I've really never understood the "winning is what I enjoy" when it comes to sports. Maybe it's because I really enjoy the game. So yes, it is difficult for me to understand it. Which is fine. Everybody should take what they like out of their entertainment.

Edited by ptatc
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I do not expect you to have the same values. Hence the reason I said that I must enjoy the game more than most because my personal enjoyment of the game outweighs the other factors. I never said that yours had to, just that mine does. If winning gives you joy, fine. I just enjoy the game more.

I've really never understood the "winning is what I enjoy" when it comes to sports. Maybe it's because I really enjoy the game. So yes, it is difficult for me to understand it. Which is fine. Everybody should take what they like out of their entertainment.

How about the Sox just spend the money they haven’t over the last few years of the rebuild, as was promised by Hahn, and there will be greater potential for winning and for everyone to enjoy the team more?

41 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I am a White Sox fan. The better they play the more I enjoy the game. I could watch  Oakland vs. Seattle game but I wouldn’t be too invested. I will admit when they suck a few of the barbs out of the stands make me laugh, but for the most part, going to@game James Shields starts and having it basically over in the first or second inning isn’t very entertaining to me.

1 hour ago, Moan4Yoan said:

How about the Sox just spend the money they haven’t over the last few years of the rebuild, as was promised by Hahn, and there will be greater potential for winning and for everyone to enjoy the team more?

I personally  would like them to find the right players. I'm not focused on they have to spend money, trade or international signings. It's their job to build the team. If it fails they should be fired. Spending money doesn't guarantee winning. They need to build a good team, however they deem fit. 

Edited by ptatc

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

I am a White Sox fan. The better they play the more I enjoy the game. I could watch  Oakland vs. Seattle game but I wouldn’t be too invested. I will admit when they suck a few of the barbs out of the stands make me laugh, but for the most part, going to@game James Shields starts and having it basically over in the first or second inning isn’t very entertaining to me.

To each his own. Every team has their Shields. Look at the Cubs with Chatwood and Co and they had a 200 mil payroll.

1 minute ago, ptatc said:

To each his own. Every team has their Shields. Look at the Cubs with Chatwood and Co and they had a 200 mil payroll.

Chatwood busted in his first season as a starter and is definitely overpaid but he somewhat redeemed himself last year in a swingman role.  The Cubs also didn’t trade away an absolutely stud for him, they just wasted some money.

13 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Chatwood busted in his first season as a starter and is definitely overpaid but he somewhat redeemed himself last year in a swingman role.  The Cubs also didn’t trade away an absolutely stud for him, they just wasted some money.

Again you are taking a point and skewing it tremendously in your negative view. He commented on not wanting to watch shields pitch when he went to the ballpark as killing his enjoyment. Most of the Cubs fans I know didnt enjoy watching Chatwood pitch. You can rationalize your perception however you like.

• Like 1